Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

JakJak
Raven
Raven

03 Nov 2015, 2:06 am

This article showed up in my Facebook feed today. It sounds like some sort of fiction by anti-vaccine people. At least I hope it's fiction. Why would anyone want to talk about their own kid this way? And why would she say all of that, then at the end, state that he's trying to survive, despite the way society views him? I don't think this story would help society view him or any autistic person any better.

http://wakeup-world.com/2015/11/02/the- ... -syndrome/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 3:57 pm

He jumped out of a second story window and was able to set fire to a bush?

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 4:29 pm

The whole website is a pretty conspiracist/simplistic IMO. I notice how in their side panel list they chose to illustrate the article with a picture of a black child crying, and in the article itself a caricature of a white child - not sure what readers are meant to take from that. Nor am I sure what this mother is advising - don't have a third child? don't vaccinate? don't believe any of the other alternative diagnoses this child was given, but latch onto autism unquestioningly and write an unbalanced rant to warn others about these monsters in our midst? Is it an unspoken appeal to eugenicists? Or meant to be produced in her defence if she murders the (now grown) child? I would say that this mother hates this child, there is nothing positive whatsoever. She might say "Well I have reason to", and you have to wonder where this will go. I read her account of his behaviour (which I suspect is biased and exaggerated) and thought - brain damage? Was this child ever abused? shaken? - obviously the mother finds it convenient to blame vaccines and the "Dr" before her name made me shake my head in astonishment. I'd take it with a grain of salt, as I do most articles like this with a one-track bias/prejudice and no solid evidence whatsoever. We know those people are out there, just as other kinds of extremists are out there. Sadly that's part of the human condition - now the internet gives them an audience for their intemperate rants and smears.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2015, 5:10 pm

Having said that, I wouldn't even expose a mosquito to dioxin (aka Agent Orange) and it ranks very high on the list of suspected human neurotoxins. You would have to wonder about chromosomal damage passed on by this mother, and not every child (she had 3) receives the same chromosomes, so you wouldn't necessarily see all 3 grossly affected.

https://searchworks.stanford.edu/view/10337808

JakJak
Raven
Raven

04 Nov 2015, 3:58 am

Yeah.. Nothing really added up for me. It sounds like pure fiction, with an agenda. She even takes credit for her son magically getting better at 26 years old. How did he get better? It doesn't make any sense. It makes me mad that people would publish such garbage, with no evidence to back it up. I tend to have issues with parents who won't take responsibility anyway. She's the mother, and it sounds like she chose to see her child as bad, instead of trying to understand what was going on with him.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 9:58 am

Wow, a psychotic child. Are they sure he is autistic instead of just a psychopath? Sadly they can't diagnose that in kids.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 10:56 am

I have a friend with a kid like that. He's a psychotic demon child for her (and a normal kid for everyone else-- I would not believe the stories she tells me if I did not hear them play out over the telephone and occasionally see them).

His Dx is ADHD. Everyone who believes THAT'S the cause, stand on your head and crow like a rooster.

I will not find fault with other parents that I do not know personally.

I will say that what my friend's kid suffers from is verbal abuse, extremely erratic parenting (a mother who alternates between screaming threats and epithets and kissing his ass), and being spoiled stinking rotten.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 11:11 am

That kid seems to have something other than autism.

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 6:48 am

League_Girl wrote:
Wow, a psychotic child. Are they sure he is autistic instead of just a psychopath? Sadly they can't diagnose that in kids.
why cant they diagnose that in kids

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2015, 11:25 am

vermontsavant wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
why cant they diagnose that in kids

I have no idea, they just don't do it until the patient is at least 18 for antisocial personality disorder. But RAD and conduct disorder can be diagnosed in children and those two are like APD to me because they share the same symptoms (behavior wise).

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

CharityGoodyGrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 9:23 am

How come we never see an article called The Parent from Hell? It isn't fair. And if they don't like him trying to survive, do they mean they want him dead?