Education for Children with Autism through Virtual Reality

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

mdm5382
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Nov 2015, 10:52 am

Hello all,

I'm new to this forum. I'm a recent graduate doing research on my own into how to design virtual reality educational games for children with autism at the grade school level. I don't know a lot about autism right now so I'm looking for reading material to study.

Can anyone provide suggestions into reading material on topics like education best practices, how they use tech, teaching speaking skills etc?

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2015, 7:19 pm

A long time ago. I used to work in the area of virtual reality (VR) , and all I can tell you is. It's not as great as it sounds. VR is nothing new. In fact, it been around for over 20 years. The biggest problem is that you can't use it for more then 5 minutes without getting motion sickness and vertigo. They are working on trying to overcome this problem. But so far, they have not figure it out yet. There is a thing called augmented reality (AR. which is done using an iPad screen and it's camera.) which superimposes CG over real life seen through the camera and uses the iPad gyros to track the movements.

Most people with autism have what is known as "sensory processing disorder" and using any kind of equipment that can fowl with a persons sensory input is highly not recommended.