Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 4:47 pm

Simmian7 wrote:
well Alex was the consaltent for the lead actress on the Bridge... and while that is great an all...
i think it's time we moved on to... hiring an actual person on the spectrum to play a person on the spectrum..
then they could input how they would react to the scene...because it would practically be real life to us, right?

Alex was listed in the credits for "Autism in Love"

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

rude1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

29 Jan 2016, 7:05 pm

My main issue is that the shows tend to center on the fact that they have autism, rather than just including them like it's an everyday thing {which it is}. I feel the same way about LGBT characters, but that's another story.

wryter13
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2016, 4:47 am

We gotta write them ourselves, NT's can't do it justice most of the time. Going to try to look up Community, never heard of it before.
I'm working on a fantasy book from an aspie perspective because there aren't any fantasies, at least I haven't found any yet, with aspie main characters and I love fantasy (special interest!) and want to see my identity represented. We can write them and act them ourselves... not without difficulty, but it's possible. We can definitely do it.

greenylynx
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2016, 3:48 pm

Feyokien wrote:
I'd rather have autism and Aspergers understood entirely before more stereotypical autistic type characters are put into media, forever warping the public's understanding and perception on the matter.

I totally agree. I'd much prefer to have public knowledge be greater than see more Aspies on television for the sake of having a character with Aspergers.