True or false.... Taking guns away from civilians leads to..

Page 6 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 4:05 pm

cathylynn wrote:
74% of the NRA's funding comes from corporate sponsors.

Not according to this:
https://www.quora.com/Where-does-funding-for-the-National-Rifle-Association-NRA-come-from

"From all these years combined, 73% of all NRA funding comes from membership dues and individual contributions, 9% comes from advertising, and 5% comes from organizational donations. The latter two figures are rounded up."

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 4:57 pm

some of those memberships are paid for by gun manufacturers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/gun-indu ... nra-2013-1

otherwise, raptor, you appear to be right. i got the 74% figure from facebook, where it was a misquote, which i found now that i looked more deeply into it.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 5:39 pm

cathylynn wrote:

So Taurus pays membership dues for one year on the purchase of a new Taurus hangun. They are only one manufacturer of many. Even then the lucky customer still has to go online and set up his membership. A third to half of them probably don't take the time to bother with it. Last time i checked NRA membership was on an upward trend, anyway.

Quote:
otherwise, raptor, you appear to be right. i got the 74% figure from facebook, where it was a misquote, which i found now that i looked more deeply into it.

Ooooo, I bet that hurt.
:P

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 6:27 pm

cathylynn wrote:
actually, having a gun in the home seems to make someone more (crooks want your guns), not less likely to be burglarized. http://www.thetrace.org/2015/11/gun-fre ... -invasion/

And how would they know that? Few people are actually stupid enough to openly advertise.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 9:26 pm

Raptor wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

So Taurus pays membership dues for one year on the purchase of a new Taurus hangun. They are only one manufacturer of many. Even then the lucky customer still has to go online and set up his membership. A third to half of them probably don't take the time to bother with it. Last time i checked NRA membership was on an upward trend, anyway.

Quote:

Ooooo, I bet that hurt.

Willing to bet they add the membership fee into the price of the gun.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 10:41 pm

sly279 wrote:
Raptor wrote:
cathylynn wrote:

Quote:

Ooooo, I bet that hurt.

Willing to bet they add the membership fee into the price of the gun.

At least the better part of it.
Doesn't matter since cathylynn is only grasping at straws now.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 1:51 am

cathylynn wrote:
actually, having a gun in the home seems to make someone more (crooks want your guns), not less likely to be burglarized. http://www.thetrace.org/2015/11/gun-fre ... -invasion/

You do realize that The Trace is Bloomberg's wholly owned and funded anti-gun propaganda arm, right? You, who once dismissed a well researched and footnoted piece simply because it came from "biased" Reason magazine?

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 2:02 am

i disagree that it was well-researched. can you counter what the trace article says?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 3:08 am

cathylynn wrote:
i disagree that it was well-researched. can you counter what the trace article says?

Probably, but I won't, as you refuse to engage with the substance of my posted articles and merely yell "bias!" as if that were all you need to do, and I choose to repay you in kind, especially when you post blatant billionaire founded propaganda as if it were legit.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 12:18 pm

you never asked me to refute your article. repost it here and i'll give it a shot. i had no idea the mayor of new york had an opinion on guns or what media outlets he favors. guns are not a core issue of mine. i merely dabble. in the meantime, go ahead and try to refute mine. your claims of bias carry less weight when you say that the CDC, full of scientists whose very job it is to root out bias, is biased.

and, no raptor, it didn't hurt to admit you are right about some things. it's what happy, mature adults do. they also don't resort to personal attacks. i'm happily married, have a high A grade in my nursing course, and am about to go sing a concert.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 8:47 pm

back from my concert. it went well except for a coughing spell during the hallelujah chorus, which i was able to hide behind my score. made and ate with my husband chicken and broccoli in mushroom parmesan sauce. then visited mom, who has alzheimer's. now honored to be ready to engage with the fervent dox, zenden, sly, and raptor.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 1:21 am

Meh :(

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 1:14 pm

sly279 wrote:
Meh :(

Pretty generous if you ask me.
I give her 1/2 Meh

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 2:16 pm

JFF :D Its a joke,but it's true.
So far no one has told me how to deal with a rabid skunk with out a gun.Like a big stick would work.

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2015, 2:45 pm

Misslizard wrote:
JFF :D Its a joke,but it's true.
So far no one has told me how to deal with a rabid skunk with out a gun.Like a big stick would work.

This is an easy one:

All you do is MOVE. Yep; move to the center of any large city, such as Washington D.C. and you will no doubt see and experience many skunks, but none will be rabid, at least not in the sense you mean, but you will still need a gun. :(

MisterChristian
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Dec 2015, 4:58 am

Gun control is one of the steps towards government controlling everything the citizens do.