Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 12:29 am

xile123 wrote:
I feel alone. Everyone either has AS or classic autism.

What's the difference between them? A friend I made at summer camp is PDD. But when I asked what the difference was it didn't seem like anyone was able to give a definitive answer.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 12:31 am

high-functioning autism.

I actually think there's a difference between high functioning autism and aspergers.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 12:36 am

EzraS wrote:
xile123 wrote:

What's the difference between them? A friend I made at summer camp is PDD. But when I asked what the difference was it didn't seem like anyone was able to give a definitive answer.

Think of the people you know who have language and speech impairments and may come off as "special" but are still normal intelligence or above average. That's high-functioning autism. They usually have higher spatial or mathematical intelligence relative to their verbal intelligence. A good example is my roommate. You'd think he wasn't very smart or capable when you first meet him but he's actually decently smart.

People with Aspergers have normal language and speech. They don't come off as autistic, rather they come off as nerdy and socially awkward.

The difference between HFA and Asperger Syndrome is mostly language problems and delays and how special you come off as.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2015, 3:19 am

Lumi wrote:
Mild to moderate autism; with severe-moderate dyspraxia. I had serious speech problems as a child. What I say can come out jumbled.

sounds similar to me.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2015, 3:21 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
xile123 wrote:

Think of the people you know who have language and speech impairments and may come off as "special" but are still normal intelligence or above average. That's high-functioning autism. They usually have higher spatial or mathematical intelligence relative to their verbal intelligence. A good example is my roommate. You'd think he wasn't very smart or capable when you first meet him but he's actually decently smart.

People with Aspergers have normal language and speech. They don't come off as autistic, rather they come off as nerdy and socially awkward.

The difference between HFA and Asperger Syndrome is mostly language problems and delays and how special you come off as.

basically this I think. I believe pdd-nos is similar to aspergers but you have speech delays and other "cognitive impairments" too.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 3:31 am

darkphantomx1 wrote:

The only difference is speech delay. My speech was early (making me AS) yet I have language problems, and do come off as special - members of the public will treat me, and no exaggeration, like a toddler.

Also, I don't think that's how functioning levels work. They're based off support needed, not intelligence.

And HFA and Asperger's are considered the same overall which is why they were merged:

http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/index.php ... ing-autism

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 3:35 am

My diagnosis stuff says nothing but "Autism".

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 3:54 am

EzraS wrote:
xile123 wrote:

So under the DSM IV, you'd have to meet the criteria for PDD and then autism to get diagnosed autism, PDD and then Asperger's to get diagnosed Asperger's, but for PDD-NOS they meet the criteria for PDD but wouldn't for Asperger's or autism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervasive ... _specified

50% of them have little to no repetitive behaviors, but the other half may just be on the edge of Asperger's or autism but not fully meet it. Basically, they didn't fit into the stupidly specific boxes of the old criteria and PDD-NOS is just another form of autism.

As for the OP, I have seen at least one other person with PDD-NOS but for some reason they're rare on this site and I wonder why.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 8:37 am

I often doubt my own diagnosis. There are a few traits I have that are very uncommon in the Aspie population which are:-

Able to verbally (and non-verbally) express my feelings to people, even during a meltdown

Like being touched, no matter what mood I'm in (even when anxious, angry, depressed or tired)

Can instinctively recognise subtle social things like body language, etc, even as a child

Hate standing out or being ridiculed, conforming is important to me

Can understand when someone's joking/being sarcastic, etc

Can tell white lies when needed, right on cue. I even did this as a child too

Can maintain a loving relationship

But there are things that make me feel abnormal, for example:-

Unable to cope emotionally with full time work

Not that good at making close friends

Get stressed and overwhelmed easily

Can act very hyperactive, "bouncing off the walls" and unintentionally shouting excitably, not in an age-appropriate way

There's probably more but I can't think of anything else at the moment. I feel more like a borderline Aspie, with my main issues being caused by anxiety and ADHD.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 8:42 am

I seem Aspergian to most people with knowledge of ASD's.

I fit the Asperger's pattern of decent verbal, sucky perceptual skills.

To people with no knowledge of ASD's, I seem weird, socially awkward, things like that.

My speech is pretty good now---with a stutter.

I spoke very late: 5 1/2 years old.

I speak fast, and I sometimes clutter my words--though it's gotten better over the years.

In effect, like Elijah from Elijah's Cup, I am an Aspergian who had speech delays.

DestinedToBeAPotato
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: floating on the molecular clouds of interstellar space

12 Nov 2015, 8:48 am

Aspergers.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 12:15 pm

High-functioning autism. Personally, I disagree as I believe I am close to meeting the criteria for intellectual disability/retardation.

xile123
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2015, 2:47 pm

iliketrees wrote:
EzraS wrote:
xile123 wrote:

So under the DSM IV, you'd have to meet the criteria for PDD and then autism to get diagnosed autism, PDD and then Asperger's to get diagnosed Asperger's, but for PDD-NOS they meet the criteria for PDD but wouldn't for Asperger's or autism.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pervasive ... _specified

50% of them have little to no repetitive behaviors, but the other half may just be on the edge of Asperger's or autism but not fully meet it. Basically, they didn't fit into the stupidly specific boxes of the old criteria and PDD-NOS is just another form of autism.

As for the OP, I have seen at least one other person with PDD-NOS but for some reason they're rare on this site and I wonder why.

I have atypical autism and I can tell you right now I definitely engage in repetitive behaviors lol.

For me, it seems like I'm very much like an asperger but I had a speech delay, regressive autism and dyspraxia.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 4:12 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Aspergers but I have elements more associated with other types also.

I believe I am closer meeting to the Gillberg criteria for Aspergers then the DSM IV's. Gillberg's is closer to what Hans Asperger described.
Gillberg's Aspergers Criteria

Since this thread has turned into what we were diagnosed with
Moderate to severe Aspergers
Autism Spectrum Disorder (No severity level given)

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 9:47 pm

Aspergers Syndrome was my original diagnoses. its mild and most people i tell say i seem very normal so thats good.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

whatamess
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2015, 9:54 pm

xile123 wrote:
No one here with pdd-nos?

My son was originally diagnosed with PDD-NOS. About 2 years later someone said it was impossible and it was actually HDA. Today most claim he cannot be PDD-NOS, but rather Aspergers. Whatever. Just as neurotypical kids change, so do those on the spectrum. Most who are diagnosed on the spectrum are diagnosed once and never again. So to me it seems that the younger a kid is diagnosed, the higher the chance that he was diagnosed PDD-NOS or similar and the older they are the higher chance of being diagnosed HFA or AS. Of course, there are always exceptions, but from what I have seen, that seems to be the case in many.