Do/did you have trouble pronouncing certain sounds?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

electrictype
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Nov 2015, 9:58 am

I have a hard time pronouncing the "th" sound. I had a gap in my front teeth when I was little so it didn't seem odd, but even after I got my braces off I still struggled.
My family occasionally teases me for it. :oops:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 12:31 pm

I used to leave endings and beginnings off of words because I couldn't hear those sounds and I also used to have troubles with the R sound. kids made fun of me for how I talked and sometimes they would repeat what I say just to make fun of me. I remember the days when my mom and my teachers had to stress the sounds when they spoke to me so I could hear them and learn to say the words correctly. My name has a th at the end so I used to go "Beh" because that was all I heard so when my mom taught me how to actually say my name, I would go "Beh" and then put my tongue between my teeth but not make the th sound because I didn't know I was supposed to do something with it. So everyone started to stress the th sound. I had hearing loss as a small child so this happened. But I have family members that were also in speech therapy and had troubles with certain sounds and they didn't have hearing loss. My uncle wasn't able to say his name because he had troubles with J's and S's.

I also mispronounced words because I would hear them wrong. I thought people were saying "Morning" then they would say "warning" and I thought it was major look instead of made you look and I thought it was judy lady instead of duty lady and just a few days ago I learned it was daylight saving, not daylights savings. :oops:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 12:43 pm

I still have trouble with pronouncing the Spanish "RR". Well, that's acceptalbe since I'm not a native speaker I guess.
My tounge bends sideways when I say "L".
Sometimes my "S" is too sharp for my liking.

hmk66
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

10 Nov 2015, 2:17 pm

I speak Dutch, but I pronounce r and s as in German (i.e. a laminal s), not as in Dutch (i.e. an apical s). That makes the s very sharp, making me hiss like a snake (Sometimes I am called "Hanssss" (Hans is my name)). This is not an autistic trait, but especially the laminal s is popular between Dutch speaking teenager girls and young women. When it is pronounced like that by a male:
- it can be considered as lisping;
- he can be considered as a geek or a nerd;
- he can be considered as gay;
- he can be considered as a speaker of a Dutch dialect, where the laminal s is usual.

A German (uvular) r is not strange in Dutch, especially in certain dialect area.

A sound which I practiced for weeks and finally successfully pronounced is a ř (a Czech r). The famous Czech composer Dvořak has that sound in his name.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2015, 2:35 pm

Here is a real tongue twister for ya. Try saying "thevenin's theorem". There are a lot of "th" sounds in this one.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 1:25 am

I have a hard time pronouncing the Th sound and certain vowels.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 9:13 am

When I hear recordings of myself, I feel that I sound "Mush mouthed". Alien sounds and combinations really throw me. Took me about a week of practicing "M sai ha hei" (M sy ha hay is the sounds. Means a version of "Thank you" in Cantonese). But, putting them together was a nightmare. Required much practice.

It's my hearing that compounds that as I have trouble discriminating the human voice for a variety of reasons. But, sometimes what I hear is like the teacher in the Charlie Brown TV specials. So, I figure that hearing things weirdly doesn't help.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 9:21 am

I tend not to pronounce "r" too well--it comes out as "w."

I tend to pronounce "d" for "th"--that's part of the New York City accent.

ghoti
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 6:25 pm

I have trouble differentiating the ch, sh and j sounds.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 6:34 pm

Only when I'm nervous.

sorrowfairiewhisper
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 6:40 pm

As a Child, I too would pronounce words with r and made it sound like it was spelt with a w.
Even though I don't have a lisp, according to my parents sometimes when I speak, I put an emphasis on the s.
So instead of saying shoe, I would say ssshoe , don't even realise that i'm doing it.

Always struggled with my vocabulary and pronunciation, improving as I get older but still it isn't perfect.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 8:09 pm

My THs sound like Ds sometimes, and my Ls sound like Ws on occasion. I also have a weird and rather random speech pattern.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2015, 8:25 pm

I had a speech impediment when I was younger, I don't remember what what sounds it involved though.

Occupational therapy was very effective, I also liked leaving the class.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Brittniejoy1983
Toucan
Toucan

11 Nov 2015, 9:24 pm

Speech impediments. "R", bad enough that my name came out bWittnie hard enough that people thought my name was Whitney. The harder I tried to correct, the harder I was understood. Otherwise, I sounded like my highland Maine relatives. 'Car' turned into 'Cah'. Took five years of speech therapy to fix. I mumbled very badly, or I raced through my sentences so fast I sounded like an auctioneer.
Speaking slower meant I had to carefully consider what I was going to say and HOW to say it. To this day I am very good with pronunciation as a result.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 12:42 am

I have several. Like saying a word like "redundancy" is very hard for me. I will stumble all over it before getting it right. Saying something like "inimitable" is basically impossible for me. Saying "impossible" is hard to lol.

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2015, 7:57 am

I used to find it very hard to say the word "digit".