Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Nov 2015, 10:40 am

When I was first contacted by The Autism Science Foundation about being involved in the It Takes Brains campaign, I honestly didn't know what to think. The campaign has the goal of urging families and individuals on the spectrum to “make the heroic decision to register for brain tissue donation.”  It was certainly one of the least traditional requests I've ever received and it brought up things that I didn't really want to think about, such as the fact that my brain would one day decide to retire and move to the tropics, or in this case, to a high-tech freezer. ...

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 11:10 am

Considering I'm already an organ donor, I wonder if the rarity of specimen brain tissue from AS donors stems from a lack of records.

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Nov 2015, 11:16 am

cberg wrote:
Considering I'm already an organ donor, I wonder if the rarity of specimen brain tissue from AS donors stems from a lack of records.

Yes. Most people don't make the arrangements beforehand. Another challenge is that they need to preserve (i.e. freeze) the brain pretty quickly for it to be useful.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 11:17 am

So the idea is to donate it for research purposes?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 11:19 am

Yep....

Always remember: cockroaches live many lives---if one leg is severed, another grows in its place--no prosthesis needed!

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2015, 12:25 pm

Cool! I've always wanted to donate my entire body to science (as in, let med students practice surgeries on me, etc... I don't need to be cremated or buried or anything.) I haven't figured out how to do that, but this is a good place to start!

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Nov 2015, 12:48 pm

The nice thing about this as opposed to donating your entire body is you could still have an open casket funeral (they can take the brain out the back of your head.)

ASPickle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Nov 2015, 2:32 pm

An interesting campaign. Not a big fan of the tag line, though. "It takes brains to solve Autism." Why couldn't they use a less curebie focused tag line of "It takes brains to study Autism?" That, coupled with Autism Speaks's involvement, makes me weary of participating. I'm not a puzzle piece that needs to be solved.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2015, 5:11 pm

Interesting proposition.

I can see the value in a project like this, although I have to admit I've always been nervous about the idea of donating bits and pieces to science, for fear that maybe they'll decide that extracting said bits and pieces for research is a more valuable proposition than using all available means to keep me alive and fully intact. Irrational, I know, but it's what goes through my wetware while it's still alive.

Maybe "Futurama" has given me unrealistic hopes that they'll keep my head alive in a jar long after I would otherwise have expired, with much hilarity ensuing for all. :D

alex
Developer
Developer

16 Nov 2015, 5:12 pm

untilwereturn wrote:
Interesting proposition.

I can see the value in a project like this, although I have to admit I've always been nervous about the idea of donating bits and pieces to science, for fear that maybe they'll decide that extracting said bits and pieces for research is a more valuable proposition than using all available means to keep me alive and fully intact. Irrational, I know, but it's what goes through my wetware while it's still alive.

Maybe "Futurama" has given me unrealistic hopes that they'll keep my head alive in a jar long after I would otherwise have expired, with much hilarity ensuing for all. :D

the scientists who want the bits and pieces are not the same as the doctors working on you. they probably don't even know anything about whether or not you're donating while theyre working on you.

untilwereturn
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Nov 2015, 5:18 pm

alex wrote:
untilwereturn wrote:
Interesting proposition.

the scientists who want the bits and pieces are not the same as the doctors working on you. they probably don't even know anything about whether or not you're donating while theyre working on you.

That's a good point. I hadn't really considered that angle, but I'm sure you're right.

donaar
Raven
Raven

17 Nov 2015, 1:25 am

ASPickle wrote:
An interesting campaign. Not a big fan of the tag line, though. "It takes brains to solve Autism." Why couldn't they use a less curebie focused tag line of "It takes brains to study Autism?" That, coupled with Autism Speaks's involvement, makes me weary of participating. I'm not a puzzle piece that needs to be solved.

Yes to my knowledge they are trying to use them to find a way to prenatally screen for autism so "undesireable" pregnancies can be "terminated"... so count me out

Aq: 37

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 2:34 am

alex wrote:
cberg wrote:

Yes. Most people don't make the arrangements beforehand. Another challenge is that they need to preserve (i.e. freeze) the brain pretty quickly for it to be useful.

I shoild assume similar though not identical requirements exist for other neural tissue...

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 3:25 am

I'm not convinced my brain would be donated for a good cause. solving autism is not on my priorities. seems :fish:y

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 10:54 am

I think I'll pass. I'm not a jigsaw that needs to be solved. I'd rather that autism is accepted, nurtured and celebrated in the future.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2015, 10:57 am

I don't believe in a "cure." I do believe in treatment for the negative symptoms which people with autism experience.