Gaming Journalist Leigh Alexander Misrepresents Male Nerds

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

ylevental
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Nov 2015, 10:39 am

https://archive.is/1fp0E

Quote:
Why do you sometimes mock ‘nerds’ and ‘gamers’ so virulently? Isn’t that the same kind of bullying you rail against?

A lot of ‘proud nerds’ are people who used the fact they were picked on for their interests as children to maintain, as adults and and fathers (they are most often privileged men, now) a ‘secret clubhouse’ that lets them victimize and oppress other participants — despite the fact games are now a multi-billion dollar industry, increasingly stigma-free, and desperately in need of the creative and professional participation of multitudes of new voices.

Nerds escaped high school. Some of them made millions making video games. Digital literacy doesn’t make you special anymore, it makes you baseline employable. Fantasy is on mainstream cable.

There is no statistical evidence presented that a measurable amount of male nerds that were picked on become financially successful or even financially stable. Not even anecdotal evidence. Even if this was the case, this doesn't justify bullying. Becoming a noted game developer/gaming CEO requires good social skills and presentability.

Quote:
Meanwhile, actual systemic oppression is punishing people not just where they wish to participate in games, but in every day of the rest of their lives. For many people, profound and violating inequalities show no sign of ease, and their “fellow outcasts” collude to reject them from the clubhouse when they try to join in.

Which says that ableism (for the significantly socially awkward like Asperger's) isn't real. Additionally, men are far more likely to commit suicide, die earlier, and be killed all when compared with women, as examples of real oppression against men.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2015, 1:18 pm

What I learned from the article is that a you are not really a nerd if you have been successful thinking exists surely as the you are not really autistic if you have been successfull thinking exists. Same stereotype that the supposed fake (nerds, Aspies) are really just whiny supremacists.

Yes you can be nerdy without great social skills like Bill Gates and be mega successfull if you have a partner like Steve Balmer.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Falloy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Nov 2015, 4:51 pm

In my opinion this is a smug, snobbish and rather silly article. I've been seeing an increasing number of these recently.

"they are most often privileged men, now"

I doubt it. In my experience a lot of geeks/nerds have some kind of internal disability - autism, social anxiety, depression and others. I suspect that most people with these afflictions don't do well and articles like this just worry away at their self-esteem. I know that they have that effect on me.

I think a lot of the kickback at male geeks is just bullying and bullying for exactly the same reason that geeks have always been bullied- because we are right at the bottom of the hierarchy and it's seen as OK to pick on us.

I've been to a lot of conventions and nearly everyone I've met has been nice. They may be awkward and anxious but they're good people. Pretty much by definition, geeks have "special interests" and that interest is the most important thing they look for in someone else. They don't see a particular racial type or sexual orientation, they see - woo hoo! - another fan of Doctor Who or My Little Pony or World of Warcraft or whatever it is. Geeks in my experience are LESS put off by diversity than your average Joe. The young males I've met at conventions would absolutely love to see more women there and interested in geek culture and would stand on their heads in buckets of cold porridge if they thought that would help make it happen.

I certainly have heard young con-goers saying things that could be considered sexist but they were very young and I suspect that this was clumsiness and immaturity rather than real misogyny. I have heard plenty of NT males say the same things but they perhaps had the smarts to say them in private (if not the maturity not to say them at all).

Geeks aren't all fedora wearing neckbeards threatening women on the Internet as we're told by some commentators. I really hope that the pleasant young people I meet at conventions are going home and doing this. I think (and hope) that this is a lazy stereotype being propagated by people who are at best mistaken and at worst trying to make a career for themselves by bullying an easy (and vulnerable) target.

I've certainly never behaved like this but I feel like I'm being judged as such and my self esteem is being eroded because of it. I'm sure I'm not the only one and I wonder if this is what is behind some of the anger that surrounds this issue.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 11:30 am

She's an idiot, as most SJWs are. They try to look for offense in everything, reject the term "gamer" for some reason I have no idea, don't like games at all and are misandrists and/or possibly prejudiced towards those who happen to be white and straight.

It's a cult at this point, you either agree with them 100% or you're deemed a heathen. I would pay NO attention to the likes of her or Anita. They do not represent gaming and geek culture, they are simply hopping on the bandwagon of hating on people who like tech stuff.