What will happen if I only do pushups every day?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2015, 5:04 pm

What's going to happen if I do only pushups every day for the next 8-12 months or so? Is it a good thing to do? I'm just worried what might happen to my body if that were to happen. I don't want to be too unbalanced, but I'm looking for some strength right away. I need to slowly ease into this stuff.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2015, 1:58 pm

You won't get any stronger after a certain number of pushups, you'll only gain more endurance. Technically speaking, one pushup is like bench pressing 58,7% of your bodyweight.

SillyRice
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Nov 2015, 8:31 am

I second what Kurgan said.

Doing push-ups will just make you better at doing push ups.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 8:48 am

What if you did prison cell pushups - those would include cardio if you did a couple hundred with jumping in the air when you come back up and it works the chest, arms and abdomen areas. I bet prisoners would swear by it. :D

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

Kurgan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Nov 2015, 8:57 am

nurseangela wrote:
What if you did prison cell pushups - those would include cardio if you did a couple hundred with jumping in the air when you come back up and it works the chest, arms and abdomen areas. I bet prisoners would swear by it. :D

Actually, many prisoners become physically weak after being locked away for so long, although in some prisons, anabolic steroid use is rampant.

SillyRice
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Nov 2015, 10:59 am

Have you tried searching callisthenics on YouTube? There's a lot of routines that require no equipment. Might be a good start.

Varelse
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Nov 2015, 12:33 pm

With proper progression and modification, pushups are a great exercise that can strengthen your back, core, chest, and arms. The basic pushup is great, but as you build strength, you can modify the exercise to make it more challenging. You'll build coordination and reflexes as well.

However, for better results, I recommend you also do either crawling (check out Original Strength), bodyweight squats, or both.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

24 Nov 2015, 1:48 pm

Do some research and put together a workout routine that targets all your major muscle groups. YouTube is a good place to start.

Pushups only will mess up your elbows.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

awkward facepalm
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 3:34 am

as far as i know u shouldn't target the same muscle group everyday, because muscles need time to recover/rebuild. actually your muscles will never grow as long as you don't give them enough rest.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 6:47 am

Pushups are good to an extent. The body gets used to a certain exercise after a point and won't benefit as much if you don't switch it up.

Also, you need to fatigue the muscles within 90 seconds, or you are only building endurance.

Get some dumbbells to start. That's what I did. Then I got a barbell. Then I joined a gym.

You can get a lot from just heavy dumbbells and a barbell at home to start.

I got really strong very fast, and am especially strong for my size.

Squats, deadlifts, pushups, etc are good compound exercises. Getting a pullup bar is good too, if you can manage to do at least one (many people can't).

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

03 Jan 2016, 7:53 am

I am a gym rat. Been one for the past 30 years. I should look like a Greek god, but I don't.

After hernia surgery, my body had a burnout episode. I made back about 80%. Three years in and it is still hard work. The best part is the pain is down and it is less frequent.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 9:40 am

Go ahead and do the pushup if that is what you want--you gotta start somewhere. I wouldn't worry about being out of balance--changes in appearance happen far too slowly for most people so there really isn't much danger of that. A far bigger danger for aspies is with executive function--you will overthink this exercise stuff and never get away from the computer!

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 2:17 pm

awkward facepalm wrote:
as far as i know u shouldn't target the same muscle group everyday, because muscles need time to recover/rebuild. actually your muscles will never grow as long as you don't give them enough rest.

I agree with this. Make sure you have a recovery day between workouts if you are working the same muscle group(s).

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2016, 2:25 pm

I used to do this, you get very hungry compared to the normal individual, and will need to eat. A LOT. Eat in small portions throughout the day instead of three meals a day. Your upper-body becomes well-toned. You end up with this "need" for always doing push-ups, all the time, each and every single day. You just cannot stand not doing push-ups for too long for, when you get used to the routine, too much time going by without doing push-ups seriously bothers you.

Use multi-alarms at first if you need a reminder. Either from your watch or tablet or similar.
Also, you will find yourself wanting to do variations, not just the same type of push-ups.
I speak with experience as somebody who used to do over 1000 or 2000 push-ups every day.

K_Kelly wrote:
What's going to happen if I do only pushups every day for the next 8-12 months or so? Is it a good thing to do? I'm just worried what might happen to my body if that were to happen. I don't want to be too unbalanced, but I'm looking for some strength right away. I need to slowly ease into this stuff.