Sinead O'Conner bieng treated after threatening suicide

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 1:15 am

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/sinead-oconnor-threatens-suicide-in-dire-facebook-post-20151129

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 1:30 am

This sounds like what Amanda Bynes was going through. In her case (like Sinead) she posted weird attacks on other celebrities on social media and then ended up in rehab for drug problems. Sinead O'Connor has also been posting weird attacks on female rappers not too long ago? probably needs rehab for addiction issues as well...

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 1:44 am

After her attack seen on Saturday Night Live on Pope John Paul II several years ago, she deserves everything she has coming to her.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 5:11 am

I always liked her. She appears like a condensed form of all possible human failures. Many celebrities do, but few do so while taking a stand against the catholic church.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 5:32 am

Given that this is a site where many of us here suffer from various co-morbids that make our mental health difficult to manage, it's a shame that there is such harshness emerging on this thread.

The woman clearly struggles with very real mental issues and for that we should try to have compassionate thoughts.

Regarding the tearing up of the Pope's picture on SNL years ago; lighten up. There are far more heinous acts to commit than this petulant gesture that harmed NOBODY, not even the actual Pope.

Besides, many have come to view her "attack" on the Catholic church as rather insightful given all the child abuse scandals that have now emerged concerning one after the other of Catholic institutions where sexual abuse was tolerated. Sinead was ahead of her time in realizing the Church was a bunch of corruption and lies.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 9:13 am

Meistersinger wrote:
After her attack seen on Saturday Night Live on Pope John Paul II several years ago, she deserves everything she has coming to her.

That incident where she ripped up a picture of the Pope occurred in 1992 on Saturday Night Live. I do remember watching it as it happened. I usually do not disown artists whom I disagree with politically, if I did I would have a very narrow list of music, film and TV I could watch. But occasionally an artist does or says something so outrageous I feel I can't ignore it. O'Conners music was something I had been a huge fan of well before she made it big with the cover of the Prince song.

When she ripped up the picture of the pope while I am not Cathlolic I viewed it as a vicious anti Catholic attack, an attack on Catholic neighbors, co workers some of whom were and are great people. I felt betrayed because I had often defended her as a great artist against the common belief she was a cover artist who got lucky. While I had no doubt some priests were pedophiles to indict the entire church and the pope with this henoius charge seemed outrageous. I disowned her so to speak. The ensuing 23 years have proven her right and me wrong. Pedophilia was widespread but more importantly we now know it was covered up massively at numourous very high levels of the church if not the popes themselves. I have been so embarrassed by my attitudes back then this is the first time I have written about it since.

Sinead I apologize and hope you get well soon.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 9:24 am

Meistersinger wrote:
She tore a picture of His Popeliness in half - for this, you want her to suffer?

I thought it was only Muslims who got upset when their religious icons were mocked!

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 10:01 am

As I remember it, she was sent to a strict catholic school where the nuns were keen on beatings in 'spare the rod, spoil the child' discipline, this was common in Ireland at the time. Her issues with the church were always well justified in my opinion.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 2:13 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Sinead has a LONG history of mental health problems, going back at least to the late 80s. She used to rip up celebrity photos hanging on walls of restaurants. She did all sorts of crazy stuff, and has for years. To my knowledge she has never gotten the treatment she desperately needs.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 2:54 pm

She openly admitted being bipolar about a decade back.

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 7:19 pm

Fnord wrote:
Meistersinger wrote:
She tore a picture of His Popeliness in half - for this, you want her to suffer?

I thought it was only Muslims who got upset when their religious icons were mocked!

First off, I'm not catholic, let alone Muslim. I'm just a dour, sour Missouri synod Lutheran, Kappish? :twisted:

Second, I never was a fan of her or her music, let alone most types of popular music.

Third, do you seriously think I'm that prejudiced? I may personally think that the Pope (the office, as well as the man in that office) may be the Anti-Christ, but that doesn't mean I have the right to castigate anyone who places their faith in the Whores of Rome and Constantinople, which is what almost every fundamentalist I know of considers both the Roman and Orthodox traditions. If, in the afterlife, the end up in Purgatory or Hell, that's their problem, and not mine. I can only witness. I was never any good at prosetylization.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 7:53 pm

She's been abused in the name of religion. She claims a bipolar disorder. She has engaged in bizarre behavior (maybe not as bizarre as Gaga).

Personally, I don't care much what she does, as long as she gets the help she needs.

Then she can fade back into obscurity like her friend Enya.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2015, 10:52 pm

Fnord wrote:
She's been abused in the name of religion. She claims a bipolar disorder. She has engaged in bizarre behavior (maybe not as bizarre as Gaga).

Personally, I don't care much what she does, as long as she gets the help she needs.

Then she can fade back into obscurity like her friend Enya.

Really, Fnord? REALLY? Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day with Orinoco Flow stuck in my head. Maybe several days, 'cause it was just that catchy of a tune back in the day.

Also, I hope Sinead gets better soon.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 7:05 am

Edenthiel wrote:
Fnord wrote:
She's been abused in the name of religion. She claims a bipolar disorder. She has engaged in bizarre behavior (maybe not as bizarre as Gaga). Personally, I don't care much what she does, as long as she gets the help she needs. Then she can fade back into obscurity like her friend Enya.
Really, Fnord? REALLY? Now I'm going to spend the rest of the day with Orinoco Flow stuck in my head. Maybe several days, 'cause it was just that catchy of a tune back in the day. Also, I hope Sinead gets better soon.
Really, Edenthiel. Really. Enya just released another CD. It's called "Dark Sky Island", and few people seem to have even noticed. I think the old girl has lost her touch.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

01 Dec 2015, 8:42 am

Well, I didn't know about Enya's new album until I read it here and looked it up. Perhaps proper publicity/ marketing was lacking? Thank you. I'll listen to some of her new songs before making a decision about their merit.

Anyway, I don't want to derail the thread about Sinead...

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 9:14 am

Yeah, I do wish her well; but Sinead has so many 'demons' to deal with that I wonder if she will ever be completely well.