Autism Disclosure at Work - Survey Closed!

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 1:01 pm

Thanks all who participated!

I can finally analyze the data now! Here is my updated site with news: https://autatwork.wordpress.com/

I can't actually say anything about what I "found" because what I have now is a SEA of data. Everyone was so generous with talking to me that I have, kinda, too much. So it's kind of not just about disclosure anymore. It's a whole picture about things happening at work.

What I can say from just "eyeballing" it is that I can compare UK to US and men to women. I can't include race because I didn't get enough people of color. That in and of itself goes along with what we already knew- that people of color are underdiagnosed.

What I learned gave me enough to springboard into a new study, "Aspies in Positions of Power." You can read a blurb about that on my wordpress to see if anyone here wants to participate in that.

I have a very strong suspicion about age and autism and employment status that I will need to analyze closer to confirm. That may be the big news of my study. If it's true, that may be the foot I'll lead with. I will let you all know here after I've analyzed.

Thanks again everyone!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 2:39 pm

Good luck!

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 5:46 pm

Thank you Kraftie! I literally forgot to eat today I was so engrossed with this! Stay tuned!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 7:27 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
... I can't include race because I didn't get enough people of color. That in and of itself goes along with what we already knew - that people of color are under-diagnosed.
It means that not enough people of color participated in the study - your conclusion does not necessarily follow from the data. While this could be due to under-diagnosis, it could also be due to simply not having solicited enough people of color who were diagnosed with AS. It could also mean that while (more than) enough were solicited, too few chose to participate.

The only way that you could confirm that people of color are under-diagnosed is to have an independent third party screen a significantly large number of such people for AS, diagnose them, and then report their findings back to you.

I agree that it is much harder to sift through aggregate data than it is to pre-select the populations.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 8:20 pm

Fnord wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:
... I can't include race because I didn't get enough people of color. That in and of itself goes along with what we already knew - that people of color are under-diagnosed.
It means that not enough people of color participated in the study - your conclusion does not necessarily follow from the data. While this could be due to under-diagnosis, it could also be due to simply not having solicited enough people of color who were diagnosed with AS. It could also mean that while (more than) enough were solicited, too few chose to participate.

The only way that you could confirm that people of color are under-diagnosed is to have an independent third party screen a significantly large number of such people for AS, diagnose them, and then report their findings back to you.

I agree that it is much harder to sift through aggregate data than it is to pre-select the populations.

I didn't make a conclusion, which is why I specifically worded my sentence that way. You should be in sociology, Fnord. ;)

Yes, it could mean any of those things or other things that we haven't thought of.

While we're on this subject, I've been thinking that it's impossible to figure out what "kinds" of people are represented here on WP since were all invisible online. I don't know if there are more Boomer Generation people than in the general public, or more profession women, or anything else. Usually you know those things and can say that your sample is under or overrepresented in some way, but I won't be able to do that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 8:28 pm

There are quite a few people here from the Baby Boomer Generation--or Generation X.

But I believe the majority of the people here, these days, are probably under 35.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2015, 8:32 pm

Sociology? No ... I teach troubleshooting techniques to new hires. One of the first lessons is about making assumptions -- "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data", said Sir A.C. Doyle, the creator of Sherlock Holmes.

Unless all of the other data bear it out, deriving an assumption from one datum could skew the findings and direct you to the wrong conclusions.

But you know that already.

It will be interesting to read your paper once it's published.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 11:44 am

Fnord wrote:
Sociology? No ... I teach troubleshooting techniques to new hires. One of the first lessons is about making assumptions -- "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data", said Sir A.C. Doyle, the creator of Sherlock Holmes.

Unless all of the other data bear it out, deriving an assumption from one datum could skew the findings and direct you to the wrong conclusions.

But you know that already.

It will be interesting to read your paper once it's published.

Aw! Thank you!

Yes, you're right. It's all critical thinking. I took a course called "critical thinking" once in my associate's degree program waaay back in 1999. The critical analysis I learned there is exactly the same as the grad level stuff I was introduced to again here at my university. It blows your mind when you get in here and read the original material from which we base our knowledge.

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 9:00 pm

@SocOfAutism
i don't remember if i took this survey...LOL but either way, i would look forward to reading the results. I read your future projects...and sadly i don't fit any of them.

@kraftiekortie
I don't mind admitting that I'm Gen X...and proud to be an 80s baby!

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2015, 11:00 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
What I learned gave me enough to springboard into a new study, "Aspies in Positions of Power." You can read a blurb about that on my wordpress to see if anyone here wants to participate in that.

I am interested in participating.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2015, 11:19 am

Rocket123 wrote:
SocOfAutism wrote:

I am interested in participating.

Thank you, Rocket! I put you on my list! Anyone interested in any of the future projects mentioned on the wordpress should let me know in some way (post here, direct message me, or email me at the address on the wordpress). At this point, the project that is most likely to happen is Aspies in Positions of Power. I hope to put it in a format where it wouldn't take as long as the last one. The more interest I have in that project, the more likely it is to happen sooner as opposed to later.