Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 Dec 2015, 2:04 pm

Quote:
I was a bit disappointed that modern advocacy efforts received such a small portion of the book until I remembered that it's a book about the history of Autism. It was already 400+ pages at that point.

The Autistic advocacy movement has a long and rich history, and it isn't adequately covered in the book. Hopefully he will write a sequel detailing this.

I still feel uncomfortable with an NT being the most prominent voice when it comes to autistic advocacy. When it comes to rights for ethnic minorities, the main advocates are from ethnic minorities, with feminists the main advocates are women, disabled and transgendered people have disabled and transgendered advocates etc etc. I think it's a very bad idea to let people aren't on the spectrum control the narrative for us. At the very least he needs to be held to a lot of scrutiny.

All this has been mentioned to him by other Aspies, and he has been rather dismissive to these concerns.

Silbermann ain't no white knight for autistics. The real white knight will be a unified autistic community that stands up for itself and it's interests, and controls the narrative for ourselves.

Quote:
MHO the autstic rights movement and particularly how autistics view themselves have deteriorated sharply since the DSM 5 came out.

This is why we as a community need to define for ourselves what Autism is, and take the role of the gatekeeper away from the medical professionals. I think this process is starting and I also think this will be the next chapter in the history of Autism. Perhaps Silbermann will end up chronicling it!

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 3:21 pm

It would be good if an autistic person wrote this type of book about some aspect of autism.
I am tired of autistic autobiographies, I don't care about the details of some person's life, but if they have good ideas about autism with research to inform the ideas and the public, then it would be something fresh and interesting and of benefit to larger autism community.

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Dec 2015, 7:04 am

Quote:
It would be good if an autistic person wrote this type of book about some aspect of autism.
I am tired of autistic autobiographies, I don't care about the details of some person's life, but if they have good ideas about autism with research to inform the ideas and the public, then it would be something fresh and interesting and of benefit to larger autism community.

Agreed. There are more than enough sob stories from autistic people in circulation. What we need is bold new ideas.

LyraLuthTinu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2016, 7:27 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Steve Sielberman describes himself as a boring NT. ..

I went to hear a lecture he gave last night. I did not find him at all boring.

Quote:
Having listened to and watched many interviews with him he presents as very naturally social.

Sounds right.

Quote:
He is a gay 57 year old man. If you know anything about how LGBT people were viewed in the 1960's and 1970's when he grew up you will see a lot of similarities to the way autistics are viewed and treated. Silberman cites bieng gay in that era and coming from family where his parents were activists for his understanding...

That explains a few things. Every time he was asked about women and autism he talked about women for about a sentence and a half then diverted to more LGBT topics.

Quote:
My view is that Silberman is the greatest ally we have ever had.

He could make a great ally for sure. Very sympathetic with an excellent understanding of Autism and Asperger's. He does pronounce it assburgers though. :(

I wanted to get his book but really couldn't afford a 25 dollar book right now. Not when we can't afford our utilities and VS credit payments...

Anyway I do wonder if any other local ASD wrongplanet people were there? At the University of Puget Sound in Tacoma on Thursday March 24th.

If you were...I came in late, stood in the back between a ventilation duct and a ceiling support column, wearing a squeaky black leather jacket and stimming by playing with my waist length hair.

If you saw me, next time you see me, say hi. I'm from wrongplanet too.

Official diagnosis: Austism Spectrum Disorder Level One, without learning disability, without speech/language delay; Requiring Support

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2016, 6:22 am

more than halfway through,still a great book