Does coffee effects people on the autism spectrum?

Page 3 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Elfwink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Apr 2016, 10:25 am

A moderate amount of caffeine alleviates headaches, tension, or pain.

Freeze dried coffee makes me restless and anxious - but I blame that on additives. I don't think it has anything to do with being on the spectrum.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2016, 2:03 pm

Elfwink wrote:
Freeze dried coffee makes me restless and anxious - but I blame that on additives. I don't think it has anything to do with being on the spectrum.

Have you tried fair trade instant coffee ? Usually it doesn't have additives and it tastes great, nothing like Nescafé-style crap. It's worth its price.

Elfwink
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Apr 2016, 9:11 am

MissAlgernon wrote:
Elfwink wrote:

Have you tried fair trade instant coffee ? Usually it doesn't have additives and it tastes great, nothing like Nescafé-style crap. It's worth its price.

Fair trade instant coffee didn't make any difference, if I recall correctly. It's also hard to find.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2016, 9:44 am

I have noticed that caffeine makes me feel physically drained and it seems to raise my anxiety level as well. I'm not really a fan of the stuff.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

Drone232
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Apr 2016, 10:57 pm

I have tried coffee twice during owrk on long shifts. The first time I did it a manager told me I was working slwoer then usual. The second time I realized that I was far more scatterbrianed then usual. I still drink coffee, but only Decaf because I like the bitter taste.

StaticWorld
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Apr 2016, 2:34 pm

Coffee has no effect on me but a man with autism my mother works with is always running around and is drinking everyone's coffee. He doesn't care how hot or cold it his - when he sees it he's going to drink it if no one stops him. It makes him very restive. Plus he gets anxious and angry without coffee.

DancingCorpse
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 2:56 pm

I have never tried coffee all my life, I like the smell and everything mostly cause it reminds me of airplanes and strange consumerism temples, I figure if I drink booze I shouldn't smoke or have coffee or eat too much junk so probably will never try it.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2016, 7:32 pm

StaticWorld wrote:
Coffee has no effect on me but a man with autism my mother works with is always running around and is drinking everyone's coffee. He doesn't care how hot or cold it his - when he sees it he's going to drink it if no one stops him. It makes him very restive. Plus he gets anxious and angry without coffee.

He might have ADHD too then. In some people with ADHD, stimulants have a sedative effect.