Does coffee effects people on the autism spectrum?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 6:09 pm

There was a study that showed that coffee drinkers only return to where they would have been in cognitive tests. In other words the withdrawal makes them perform slightly worse then when they have the coffee thy only return to the level of non-coffee drinker.

Also they tested other think like sage pills and chewing gum. Chewing gum group felt the performed better but didn't. Sage pill group performed slightly better.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 7:22 pm

It helps me stay awake. I'm more into drinking tea than coffee. Green or herbal tea helps me sleep.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

revolutionaryboy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Jan 2016, 9:44 am

I have an extremely high tolerance to caffeine because I've used it so heavily for the majority of my life! At this point, it doesn't do much of anything to me. I can drink a huge coffee with three shots of espresso and feel no different than I did before, and choose to lie down and nap if I want.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 12:17 pm

Sometimes it wakes me up and helps me feel less like a zombie, sometimes the ritual of drinking it and savoring the flavor is relaxing, and sometimes it just makes me feel anxious. Damn, I could really go for a good cup of coffee right now.

LuciaDuvant
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Feb 2016, 12:20 pm

Coffee doesn't affect me, unless the coffee is really strong and I drink more than four cups within a short amount of time, then I start to become very I'll

When I'm at work, I drink many cups of herbal tea

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 2:22 pm

Stimulant can make me drowsy or worn out depending. Dexedrine knocks me out cold. Ironic given it is used to treat narcolepsy.

Coffee can make me feel more anxious. Tea doesn't have that effect, but I have it quite weak.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 1:56 pm

I am addicted to caffeine yet I know it's bad for my mind. The whole world seems to be set to fast-forward after I have had some coffee. For someone with anxiety it's really a stupid beverage to drink.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2016, 2:41 pm

JakeASD wrote:
I am addicted to caffeine yet I know it's bad for my mind. The whole world seems to be set to fast-forward after I have had some coffee. For someone with anxiety it's really a stupid beverage to drink.

I love the taste of coffee even though the caffeine exacerbates my anxiety, and decaf just doesn't taste the same. I like mine strong too, with like multiple espresso shots occasionally. I'll admit however that caffeine helps fight my brain fog, and the buzz can be somewhat enjoyable sometimes. Waking up on a nice morning in a clean kitchen with a good cup of coffee and something to read is like a zen experience for me.

NealStrong
Butterfly
Butterfly

08 Mar 2016, 1:53 am

Everyone is different and caffeine effects everyone differently.

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2016, 2:25 am

I suffer from anxiety but coffee doesn't make me more nervous. On the contrary, I feel more self-confident and then more relaxed as my anxiety is partly caused by extremely bad self-esteem. I can focus a bit better, my blood pressure is more stable, it's much less likely that I get migraines, and it doesn't even prevent me from sleeping although I'm a very bad sleeper. So I can drink a cup at any time of the day or night without any bad consequences. I don't want to get too much addicted though, so I try to not drink coffee every day, even when my mind suggests it to the point where I almost hallucinate coffee smell everywhere :lol:

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 3:46 am

It used to give me anxiety, but I built up a tolerance and now I only take it black. Now it wakes me up and it gets the bowel moving.

ErwinNL
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Mar 2016, 4:17 am

I used to drink +- 10 cups a day and was forced to reduce my intake and had a really bad headache for a couple of days, now I still drink coffee but a normal amount. Strangely it never affected my sleep, I can drink the stuff halve a hour before bed time and go ZzZz in seconds.

/ I don't drink alcohol or energy drinks, smoke or do drugs (never have).

Uncle
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2016, 10:13 am

definitely sensitive to caffeine! i get heart palpitations and highly increased anxiety,shakes and often nausea! but still cant help myself each day!

Last edited by Uncle on 08 Mar 2016, 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nocturnus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Mar 2016, 11:25 am

Personally I stay away from caffeine since you are supplying your body with an unnatural source of energy. I find honey to be good at revitalising energy levels, you could try mixing it with oats.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2016, 1:01 pm

Nocturnus wrote:
Personally I stay away from caffeine since you are supplying your body with an unnatural source of energy. I find honey to be good at revitalising energy levels, you could try mixing it with oats.

Hate to start an argument, but cacao, yerba mate, tea, and coffee are all natural sources of caffeine... and there's others I'm sure. From what I can gather, plants evolved to produce caffeine not only as a defense against certain predators, but also to attract pollinators as well. Studies have shown that honeybees can become addicted to caffeine and nicotine, both of which are natural alkaloids that humans have taken a liking to as well. That's not to say these things are necessarily healthy, but they definitely originated in nature.

Cactustelefonogato
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Apr 2016, 5:48 pm

Both my dad and me have AS and drink a lot of coffee, though I think it might be because both of use have low blood pressure, plus I'm a visual arts student myself so I have few hours of sleep. Caffeine helps me a lot actually, even if I'm prone to anxiety, and only coffee, yerba mate, and energy drinks work on me; tea and other stuff doesn't do a thing (tea makes me feel more sleepy, in fact).