Does coffee effects people on the autism spectrum?

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

accountinglad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Dec 2015, 2:05 pm

When i have a coffee from a coffee shop i feel to buzzed and cant focus anything and sometimes shake or figit alot.

GoblinCandy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Dec 2015, 2:10 pm

My suggestion is that you stop drinking it, start drinking less of it, or switch to decaf. Because not being able to focus on anything and shaking and fidgeting can't be much fun.

And, to answer your question: yes, coffee affects us just like it does anyone else, though people on the spectrum might be ever so slightly more sensitive than NTs to the effects of caffeine.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Dec 2015, 7:11 pm

I never drank coffee but I sometimes take caffeine pills that have the equivalent of one cup of coffee. Taking one helps me feel more awake but I don't really notice any other effect. However taking two makes me shaky & hyper.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 7:17 pm

Coffee makes me unable to focus. It also makes my eyes sore.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Rudin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 7:21 pm

I find that luke warm tea makes me able to focus easily for some reason even though it contains the same stimulant (caffeine).

It is incredibly hard to get me to focus for long periods of time unless I'm comfortable, this is due to my sensory issues.

-Paul Erdos

"There are two types of cryptography in this world: cryptography that will stop your kid sister from looking at your files, and cryptography that will stop major governments from reading your files."

-Bruce Schneider

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 7:22 pm

Basically, speed increase, precision decrease.
I can think faster, but it's more difficult to think straight.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 7:45 pm

It actually helps me concentrate, but I probably have mild ADHD. I also have a tolerance to it after indulging for the last 25 years.

Justeve
Veteran
Veteran

06 Dec 2015, 8:20 pm

It makes my anxieties worse.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Dec 2015, 10:07 am

Coffee in the morning is non-negotiable.

Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 9:18 am

It doesn't help me much, I more drink it to soothe an addiction.. it just gets me going and gives me energy, helps me stay awake.. but doesn't do much to improve my attention.

SaxNerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Dec 2015, 3:32 am

I have never noticed any effects from caffeine. I will often drink a coffee only to find myself struggling to keep my eyes open an hour later. I actually find it more relaxing than stimulating.

I consciously try to have no more than one caffeinated coffee a day, although this is more to avoid addiction, which I think could happen very easily if I let myself go.

I wouldn't think being autistic would have anything to do with how we react to caffeine, or any other drug for that matter.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 8:36 pm

May I say: I enjoy it.
It is a beverage which, if well brewed, carries an amazing range of flavours, has a nice, warm feel and soothing, oily texture.
(Speaking of my south italian style double espresso prepared in a brikka stovetop coffeemaker).

It's a sensory delight, which I look forward to every day, and would drink a lot more of, if it weren't making me shaky after 2 cups, and sleepless when consumed after dark.

As some, but not all foodstuffs, it can be a relaxing experience.

SaxNerd
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jan 2016, 9:58 pm

shlaifu wrote:
May I say: I enjoy it.
(Speaking of my south italian style double espresso prepared in a brikka stovetop coffeemaker).

That's how I make it too! (My grandparents are Sicilian)

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

09 Jan 2016, 9:47 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Coffee in the morning is non-negotiable.

I second that. My grandmother introduced me to coffee as a child and I've never stopped liking it. It actually makes me a little sleepy now, but that's probably because I drink so much of it. It kind of has an adverse effect on me now. When I have a migraine I drink a very strong cup. It puts me to sleep and usually reduces the migraine down to a minor headache, or completely takes it away.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 6:04 pm

Justeve wrote:
It makes my anxieties worse.

It can have this effect on me, also stimulant can make me drowsy in higher doses.

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 6:09 pm

There was a study that showed that coffee drinkers only return to where they would have been in cognitive tests. In other words the withdrawal makes them perform slightly worse then when they have the coffee thy only return to the level of non-coffee drinker.

Also they tested other think like sage pills and chewing gum. Chewing gum group felt the performed better but didn't. Sage pill group performed slightly better.