Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Nickchick
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

10 Dec 2015, 6:22 pm

I only frequent forums. I have a Facebook Twitter Instagram and now even a Tumblr but don't do anything with them. I joined FB to find someone originally. I still keep it on in case someone talks to me or I need it for a certain website but I don't really look on it. I hate FB. I signed up for Twitter to get back in contact with someone but I ended up not really talking to them. I just read my fav celeb's pages on occasion..don't tweet that much. I try to tweet more because I feel like I need to enjoy the site as a music enthusiast but I get bored after less than a half hour.
Instagram I forget why I signed up for that maybe for my fav musicians...idk but haven't done a thing with it.
I might get rid of my Tumblr soon. I signed up to message my fav youtuber but he never replied. Sometimes they have good GIFs for me to hoard but that's the only benefit I see on it.

Being an internet frequenter I guess it's easy to join new sites sometimes because the internet has lost its magic over the years. People don't post on message boards like they used to. Some completely "died" others aren't all that active anymore. I feel like a lot of people have moved to Twitter and I hate it.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2015, 6:40 pm

Anybody see an episode of The IT Crowd where the members of the IT department join a website called "Friendface"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4o2PDw ... z9cDOtoqgt

- that's it, I call facebook disgracebook. It's bad enough I spend so much time on here. :lol:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 12:13 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
I prefer forums because they're usually dedicated to a certain topic, and we all know how dedicated we are to our special interests, which allows me to spend hours on forums of my interests without getting bored. Facebook and Twitter and the like are just...anything.

And I also hate it how these sites are becoming required for things. Like, really? I don't want to go through the trouble of joining a website just to comment on your page or play a game.

I guess they do that to reduce the troll comments and hate. People are less likely to leave a troll comment or a hate comment if they have to be signed in and lot of people don't want to make an anonymous account just to do that.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 12:17 pm

I don't post a lot of things on Facebook but I wonder people who post about their pity lives on social media and have it be public, what is their intention, are they doing it for attention? But I also have to be careful because I don't want it on facebook when I post somewhere else.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2015, 12:38 pm

My mum had a Twitter account, but she got rid of it. Myself, on the other hand, have never been on anything save this forum.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2015, 11:35 am

For the longest time, I never used any kind of social media. Then in 2009/2010 someone 'forcibly' created a Facebook page for me. After a while though, I found it to be the easiest way for me to keep in touch with my friends, much more so than by phone or in person. Another positive I like about Facebook is that I can follow groups or pages for things, people, or topics I like. I do come across things I don't like or comments that irritate me, but I have learned to just scroll past it without letting it bother me too much. I also use a few forum sites, Wrong Planet being one of them.

I also have recently started using Google+, Pinterest, and Twitter as of this summer, but I use them more to promote the items I sell in my business than for social purposes.

If Youtube counts as social media, then I use that, though I haven't uploaded anything to my account in ages.

HottRoddTX
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

12 Dec 2015, 10:17 pm

Used to find Facebook a top priority, but it's just another bs way to be miserable seeing some former classmates living better than me and was only friending me to get in my business. Was only there just to play games. Twitter is more boring. It's just a website to type useless crap under 140 letters, stalk celebs, and read dumb post.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 1:49 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I don't post a lot of things on Facebook but I wonder people who post about their pity lives on social media and have it be public, what is their intention, are they doing it for attention? But I also have to be careful because I don't want it on facebook when I post somewhere else.

I feel the same way like you. I used to have MySpace, not anymore. I have Facebook, Twitter & Instagram, I don't post too much, too much work. And I really don't post personal information, I know people post how much money they have or post pictures showing too much skin.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2015, 11:26 pm

I have a facebook thats about it, barely anyone on their I consider a friend just an acquaintance, mainly people I went to school with. I mostly follow pages that have my interest like a game developer or anime page.

From my view of facebook all I see is vanity, vapidness, materialism, banality, ADHD material, click bait, quotes over pictures trying to be deep when they're just shallow and/or stupid, ghetto memes, people pretending they care about events by changing their avatar or empty gesture post, pepe the frog, christian memes, like this and that crap.

I feel like deleting these people because I keep getting all this crap on my wall. But I keep them around just to stalk their lives. I see from some people so many ghetto stuff like constant post about weed, people making childhood cartoon characters ghetto, their poor grammar and spelling along with cursing. As I read it I feel it affecting my mind as I'm starting to lose my large vocabulary and speak like a hoodrat.

Ironically I'm making a social network app since I figured there is a niche that facebook, twitter, google+ and others don't do or do very well. So keeping these people around is fine as I can use it to hopefully spread word of it when I'm finally done with along with other software I may make in the future. It would be fun to one up everyone in this vanity contest by having them all use something I created,

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 12:21 am

I gave Facebook a try, about 15 months, ago, just prior to joining WP. I found it to be both, useless and anxiety provoking, so I deleted my account after a few weeks. WP is the only, online source I use, for social interaction. I imagine I'd get overwhelmed, socializing in multiple places on the internet.

Drawyer
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2015, 1:00 am

Britte wrote:
I gave Facebook a try, about 15 months, ago, just prior to joining WP. I found it to be both, useless and anxiety provoking, so I deleted my account after a few weeks. WP is the only, online source I use, for social interaction. I imagine I'd get overwhelmed, socializing in multiple places on the internet.
Me too. WP is only source I use for socializing with people. The contents here eat up too much of my focus already. And I believe I have enough friends here already.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 3:43 pm

I'm on Facebook and I like it, though I don't find it as interesting as WP and other forums. I used to spend a lot of time on it, but now I just check my notifications. There may be some negativity and hate on Facebook, but there's a lot of positive stuff being shared on it too. And it's a good way to keep in touch with people. It's not for everyone, though.

I don't use any other social media site; I don't see the need, for me personally. Instagram and Snapchat annoy me sometimes. From what I've heard, it's just people having fun with their friends and reveling in how popular they are. It makes me envious of them and how they seem to have fun all the time and have no problems in their life. (I'm not saying this is true, but it makes me feel that way.)

EliteGirl
Butterfly
Butterfly

18 Jan 2016, 8:56 am

Varelse wrote:
Google+ is ok, as it seems more interest-focused than personal-narrative-obsessed.

I don't think I do Facebook right, since all I have posted since I started the account are 'nature' pictures taken with the smartphone, drawings I made with colored felt-tip pens, and 'likes' of pages from Phys.org, The Scientist, The Science of Us, and other such sites (with an occasional share of Doghouse Diaries, deMilked, or something like that). There are four photos up there that include me, one that is used for an avatar, but the whole thing where you tag other friends and post things you've done together obviously is out of the question. I have two close companions, a sister and my partner of 15 years. Neither one is into Facebook or having their picture taken or parts of their life posted on the internet. I have no casual friends and am not part of any 'circle' of friends.

Early on, I tried liking and commenting on my Facebook friends' walls, but gave up when I realized that it feels way too much like work - and some people post so much personal stuff that I feel weird even looking at it. And since my life consists of 1) spoiling my cat 2) reading 3) thinking 4) drawing 5) walking so I have really got nothing 'personal' to share that they'd relate to. I'm currently unemployed, so don't even have a job to brag or complain about (not that I would anyway, boring). I have quit looking at Facebook and now all I do is share or like the science pages. Even posting drawings or photos felt too much like a performance, as if I were 'showing off', so I quit that as well.

I use "Facebook", sometimes that is. I am unemployed also. I gave up on "MeetMe" since they are difficult rules wise. And I don't use "Twitter". I used to have a "YouTube" channel, but now I don't because they have way too many rules on "Youtube" now.

i_wanna_blue
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 4:42 pm

WP and few other other forums are what I consider social networking. To me, in order for social media websites to be of any use, you need to be popular in some way. You also need to be 'someone' offline, in order to be 'someone' online - which to me defeats the purpose of virtual communication. If you have real, in-the-flesh friends, why would you wanna talk to them via a computer?

MCHB
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jan 2016, 10:05 pm

I use it to keep in touch with family and like a handful of friends (3 from an anxiety forum I no longer post on, one from a beard forum I no longer post on, and several I know through the sca; medieval recreation, basically. Oh and two from my class!). I have like 44 people on facebook and it still amazes me that some of them have upwards of 300. 8O

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 12:41 pm

I wish I never fell for it last year.