Page 3 of 9 [ 131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 5:13 pm

RhodyStruggle wrote:
The author cites an article which itself cites an article from a known hoax site.

As a hatemonger she deserves nothing but contempt. But it's clear from her shoddy research that she's not playing with a full deck, and so I also pity the poor fool.

Yup. Not only that, but the claim of 92% of murderers having Asperger syndrome is a hoax:

https://www.elsevier.com/connect/hoax-b ... -to-murder

The blogger's got some serious retracting to do if she's honest; if she's not honest, then she'll just keep spreading the myth to justify her bigotry and hatred.

It appears she quietly removed the link to discussion of the hoax study. That's dishonest, too.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 6:57 pm

Is there some way to report this, since she won't respond to any comments from anyone with autism and can't be addressed about her ignorance directly? This is blatant hate speech and blithering idiocy. She is so misinformed, I feel embarrassed for her. Her parents and educators did a terrible job.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 9:11 pm

Well, it's a good job Aspies are so inhuman - indeed, unhuman - and so are people - sorry, creatures - whose thoughts and feelings and perspectives and experiences aren't worth taking into account, because otherwise the author would end up looking like a thoughtless, callous, unempathic, prejudiced, dishonest, closed-minded, piss-taking fool. And golly, wouldn't that tarnish her self-image!

More than anything, it's the tone. The superciliousness. It's someone wagging their finger in your face telling you off for something you weren't even thinking of doing.

Being told I don't understand my condition by someone who confuses their prejudice for 'the truth'. Being told I don't have empathy by someone who seeks to set opinion against a group of marginalised people. Being called a psychopath by someone who has no care for the damage her article and her self-importance may cause to innocent lives.

Christ, the ironies are infuriating. There's no 'in'. No way to reach her, to connect and talk and reason with her, so oblivious is she. There are, simply, no other perspectives but hers. Clealy, mindblindness can lead to cruelty. :roll:

ETA: Once more, it's the bizarre situation which is basically: 'Autistic people have no empathy. Let's be cruel to them!'. I consider I do have empathy. And then I look at the NT world, which apparently abounds in empathy, and I see the cruelties and the games and the connivances and the prejudice and the lying and the falsity and the bullying and all that 'normal' s**t, and I think, yeah, about that 'empathy' you were banging on about...

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 12:40 pm

wilburforce wrote:
Is there some way to report this, since she won't respond to any comments from anyone with autism and can't be addressed about her ignorance directly? This is blatant hate speech and blithering idiocy. She is so misinformed, I feel embarrassed for her. Her parents and educators did a terrible job.

If you look back through the thread, you'll see that someone already has tried to report this. It hasn't been too successful though, except that it caused the author to turn off the comments on the blogpost and edit it to complain about it and say how much she's "disturbed" that there's a "gag order" on everyone who tries to tell the "truth".

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 12:47 pm

beneficii wrote:
RhodyStruggle wrote:
The author cites an article which itself cites an article from a known hoax site.

As a hatemonger she deserves nothing but contempt. But it's clear from her shoddy research that she's not playing with a full deck, and so I also pity the poor fool.

Yup. Not only that, but the claim of 92% of murderers having Asperger syndrome is a hoax:

https://www.elsevier.com/connect/hoax-b ... -to-murder

The blogger's got some serious retracting to do if she's honest; if she's not honest, then she'll just keep spreading the myth to justify her bigotry and hatred.

It appears she quietly removed the link to discussion of the hoax study. That's dishonest, too.

Yes, I noticed. Now I'm regretting that I didn't take a screenshot. I guess she realised that it wasn't doing her any favours to have a link in her blogpost to a hoax study that allows us to sit and laugh at her about and to point to in every time someone asks about how factual her blog post is. It just confirms my previous statements about her dishonesty though.

wilburforce
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 4:13 pm

Jono wrote:
wilburforce wrote:

If you look back through the thread, you'll see that someone already has tried to report this. It hasn't been too successful though, except that it caused the author to turn off the comments on the blogpost and edit it to complain about it and say how much she's "disturbed" that there's a "gag order" on everyone who tries to tell the "truth".

Well, I don't know if it would make any difference--but I hope she is still watching this thread and is sufficiently embarrassed about her misrepresentation of people with autism. She is likely not capable of such self-reflection though, which probably touches on the irony Hopper was speaking of in what she says about autistic people. I wonder why she is so angry and afraid of us? Being that paranoid, angry, and ignorant at the same time has to be exhausting. I feel very sorry for her.

Mateo407
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Jan 2016, 11:38 am

I found the statement that Aspies and Psychopaths are the same highly disturbing. It seems as if the person who made that statement does not know very much about either. For starters, psychopaths would not start a discussion forum to help each other. There is a big difference between having trouble empathizing with the world around you because most of the people in it are not like you and possessing no empathy whatsoever. Another big difference is that psychopaths are masters at reading people and manipulating them for their own ends. I on the other hand crash through social situations, often times in an attempt to help people or improve a situation. The irony is that when I do this it is usually the narcissist/psychopath who targets me for openly contradicting their psychopathic fiction and obstructing their self-centered goals. Not only are Aspies the polar opposite of psychopaths in many respects, psychopaths are usually the social predators who decide to hunt us down. They like to do this because because by picking on the weak it shows their prowess and strength to the group (who unfortunately are usually impressed). Another reason they do this is because of our inability to feed their enormous egos. I have been beaten and bullied many time in my life due to autism. A great many of those bullies were probably narcissists or psychopaths. If you have an ASD I highly recommend that you study and learn to identify psychopathy. It is very important to your survival! Some good books are "Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths go to Work" and "Without Conscious".

mitchel
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

22 Jan 2016, 3:48 am

That's pretty damn mean.

More proof that the Internet can make you stupid if you let it.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jan 2016, 4:50 am

It made me think of this blog piece by StrangerinGodzone:

http://strangeringodzone.blogspot.co.nz ... te-us.html

Pergerlady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Jan 2016, 11:55 am

You know who wrote that? NOT a psychology major. There isn't an autism epidemic. There's an ignorance epidemic.

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 3:54 pm

This is why I hate the Internet they are ignorant buffoons!

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 1:44 pm

Sociopaths dissemble and build narratives.

I break things down and build systems.

Quirkiness, parallel construction. Tomaytoe, tomahtoe.

There's an abstract way of looking at this.

Reflectie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jan 2016, 11:28 am

Don't let such people bother you too much.

Even if you were to make this one person see the light, the next one in line is already ready to take her place and the row is extremely long.

You can't teach someone who doesn't even want to learn.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2016, 11:47 am

I do agree with the mind blindness part, all of which applies to me and in turn makes it near impossible to apply for jobs

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername
Raven
Raven

26 Jan 2016, 9:27 pm

Hopper wrote:
ETA: Once more, it's the bizarre situation which is basically: 'Autistic people have no empathy. Let's be cruel to them!'. I consider I do have empathy. And then I look at the NT world, which apparently abounds in empathy, and I see the cruelties and the games and the connivances and the prejudice and the lying and the falsity and the bullying and all that 'normal' s**t, and I think, yeah, about that 'empathy' you were banging on about...

It's almost as if it's some kind of mass projection of negative NT traits.

Shirazi
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Feb 2016, 1:19 am

This appears to me to be a very garden variety low-functioning borderline/narcissist with persecutory fanatasies and access to the internet. I call it fantasies as opposed to delusions because they really do enjoy this joan-of-arc esque roleplay.

High functioning aspies are very often attractive as partners for low-functioning, romantically frustrated narcissists or borderlines with narcissistic traits who are themselves not socially succesful and appear harmless or even pathetic to others but will be domineering and brutal towards victims who are weaker than them. This works with pathologically dependent people because they get something they want out the relationship, but no one else. Ironically they are also prime targets for exploitation by more intelligent, high-functioning narcissists/sociopaths because their emotional structure is so primitive and easy to manipulate.

At the end of the day, armchair pyscology through the internet based on one person is pointless, which is why this woman's blog post is pointless, and my armchair diagnosis is probably wrong. But I pretty much think it isn't, I have so much life experience with narcissists, and this is kind of hallmark narcisisstic "woe-is-me" thinking.