If SSD/SSI Disappears, What's Your Backup Plan?

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 1:24 pm

I guess this would go under Current Events...?

Many of the Republican candidates are threatening to "revoke" or push back the eligibility requirements of "entitlement" programs. Some of us get all or part of our income from Social Security Disability (SSD) or Supplemental Social Security (SSI) and/or have Medicare or use a plan through Obamacare.

Worst case scenario, if all of government aids you use were suddenly gone, what would you do and how would this affect your life?

I'll go first: I would have to work again, "pass" as non-disabled at least to get in the door, and put my son in daycare. I would have to abandon my autism studies because I'd no longer have the time, and my neuro symptoms would be a lot worse because I'd be tired. I'd probably have to get a job in IT, HR, or teaching. I'd have a lot less money and time overall.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 2:21 pm

Is it genuine disability they're looking at or making it harder for the welfare kings and queens?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 2:26 pm

If the Tea party gets it's way only the rich and the corporations would be entitled to all sorts of benefits. Us poor schlubs that are truly disabled would be summarily put to death, since we are slackers and lazy bums, no matter how serious the impairment.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 2:37 pm

http://www.povertyinsights.org/2013/10/ ... elessness/
Basically the liberals saw the issue as one of personal freedom and the conservatives saw it as a way to cut the size of government, so the end result was a lot of people with mental health issues on the street with no means of support.

Note to folks in the UK--the liberal/conservative definitions may be different in your political arena.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 3:17 pm

Dillogic wrote:
Is it genuine disability they're looking at or making it harder for the welfare kings and queens?

This is worst case scenario, so assume that whatever happens, your benefits (that you earned) are gone. I think most of us here are truly disabled or truly retired.

pezar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 3:53 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:

Many of the Republican candidates are threatening to "revoke" or push back the eligibility requirements of "entitlement" programs. Some of us get all or part of our income from Social Security Disability (SSD) or Supplemental Social Security (SSI) and/or have Medicare or use a plan through Obamacare.

Worst case scenario, if all of government aids you use were suddenly gone, what would you do and how would this affect your life?

I'll go first: I would have to work again, "pass" as non-disabled at least to get in the door, and put my son in daycare. I would have to abandon my autism studies because I'd no longer have the time, and my neuro symptoms would be a lot worse because I'd be tired. I'd probably have to get a job in IT, HR, or teaching. I'd have a lot less money and time overall.

I'm saving my money to buy land in the far north of California, in Siskiyou County, where I could live off grid and produce much of my own food. Right now I live with my mom, who gets Social Security and a govt pension. I have training in basic computer repair, and while the market here in Sacramento is dominated by big computer repair companies like Tech 2U, I probably could make enough in the north state to pay my property taxes and put gas in my car. My meds are pretty cheap.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 4:01 pm

That is what I was imagining would happen to most of us. Live on the streets or try to downsize into sustainable living, live with our parents or kids. Those of us who can work again, it would only be temporary, since there would be no Social Security for old people.

If all the illegal immigrants are also gone, some of us could be forced into those jobs.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 6:40 pm

You don't want to hear my opinion.

My family owns land back in West Virginia. I would go there and live in a tent.

I would do that before I would ask for SSDI anyway. I don't begrudge it to anyone who is truly disabled. But I'm not. I am capable of work. I'm just awkward. And really tired of either being brushed off with a "You'll be FINE!" or handed SSDI paperwork and dismissed when I ask for job coaching.

As for my opinion about what would happen to society, you don't want to hear it. Society is messed-up enough right now. I think there would be good things-- perhaps more places would be willing to employ those of us who are imperfect but willing to work??-- but mostly I think there would be more homelessness and more, much more, crime.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 6:43 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
This is worst case scenario, so assume that whatever happens, your benefits (that you earned) are gone. I think most of us here are truly disabled or truly retired.

Well, you'd have to show that the worst case scenario would happen, and it's not something more innocuous or fair that's proposed (say, forcing people to volunteer for welfare).

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 7:44 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
If SSD/SSI Disappears, What's Your Backup Plan?

The same as it is, NOW: to get a JOB----but, seein' as how I can barely keep my lights turned-on WITH help, I'd surely be homeless again WITHOUT help.

I agree with whomever said that homelessness and crime would just be.....

MONSTROUS!!

Earthling
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2015, 7:53 pm

SocOfAutism, I'm confused by your use of the word "we". Aren't you in university?

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2015, 1:29 am

SocOfAutism wrote:

Revolution time. It's about time to start redistributing the wealth from the 1% back to the 99% were it belongs anyway.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

09 Dec 2015, 7:56 am

I very much doubt they will touch SSI or SSDI; Hillary/Bernie won't obviously, I don't think Trump will, squishes like Jeb Bush/Marco Rubio/John Kasich probably won't, maybe Tea Party guys like Ted Cruz and Ben Carson would but they won't win. Pretty much every candidate supports raising the retirement age, you don't hear much more than that other than rhetoric here and there. It is good to make contingencies for yourself tho, that's the problem with any of these entitlements since they make you completely dependent on the status quo maintaining itself in perpetuity.

I think even if they succeed in repealing Obamacare; I doubt the states the have expanded medicaid will roll it back now, no preexisting conditions and letting children stay on their parent's insurance until 27 would probably stay since those are the popular provision of the law. Still couple thousand pages of that law that could be trimmed and none of us would be the wiser, there should definitely not be a bailout for these insurance companies.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2015, 12:42 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:

I'd have to find work more immediately luckily I don't think my disability is of the nature it will hold me back for good but I certainly am not ready to jump into the work-force yet. Also without medicaid it would be hard to continue any treatment for my condition, which whilst regular appointments and meds are on hold to see how I am doing/holding up I still have a couple take as needed once a day prescriptions.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2015, 1:09 pm

They're already more or less doing this -- or heading that way -- in the UK. Severe government cuts by a right wing government who basically, in their heart of hearts, are acting like they really don't believe anyone receiving disability help should be getting it. Okay, a little hyperbole on my part, but it's close to how it really plays out.

There are figures out there stating estimates of how many people have actually died in the UK because they were genuinely disabled, genuinely cannot just "get a job," but their government money was either cut deeply or taken away completely due to harsher new standards. If I recall correctly, one person with terminal cancer was told they were "fit for work", and their money stopped. This was a person who was not just sick but in fact dying and should have been able to live out their last days in peace and stability, not wrestling with bureacracy and the Job Centre.

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2015, 2:55 pm

I lost faith in the government years ago, I've been slowly figuring out ways to live off-grid and sustainably for years. I'm already looking for work. That off-grid house isn't gonna pay for itself. Even if benefits are available, they turn it in to a full-time job to get them. I'd much rather be useful to have around than spend my time arguing about why I need benefits, people love to judge, and love isn't a strong enough word here.

It is hard to get help, even if you're the victim of a crime, the government can be slow or unwilling to respond. The same government would fine me in a heartbeat if a traffic cop saw me drive the wrong way, or I parked too long. They will unapologetically and mercilessly throw you under with outrageous fines and fees. And to think if you live off-grid and sustainably, at the very least you'll still have to pay property taxes.