Emotional attachment to inanimate objects

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Megan140
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 Dec 2015, 12:56 am

Starfoxx wrote:
Could you put it into recycling? It would want to go in recycling cos it can be made into new things

You can recycle old coats? I could do that...still, somehow it's still hard. Like it would be sad to be apart and I would feel like I'm abandoning a family member.

It's nice to know that I'm not the only one who has this. I've gotten so used to pretending to others that I don't and coming up with reasons that sound logical for keeping something

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 1:22 am

Aspie202 wrote:
Grammar Geek wrote:
Yes! And my mom thinks it's so weird! For example, in high school a few years ago, they were serving turnovers at lunch. There were cherry, apple, and peach turnovers. The cherry and apple ones went in a flash, and the lunchroom staff kept putting more of them out. Meanwhile, the peach turnovers were virtually untouched. I felt so bad that nobody was taking those neglected turnovers, so I got one out of pity. This sort of thing happens to me a lot, and I hate it. I know the objects don't have feelings, but I can't help feeling bad for them!

I actually still have a pair of balloons from almost a month ago, and my mom keeps trying to convince me to pop them, even though I don't want to.

Oh man, that would hurt on two levels: one being the emotional attachment to the balloons, and the other being how much that would hurt my ears. I vividly remember a day in elementary school when we had to do a sort of relay race that involved sitting on balloons to pop them, and I just couldn't do it because it was so loud. The rest of my team was really pissed off at me. :(

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername
Raven
Raven

13 Dec 2015, 11:24 am

I've always had weird moments like this, my earliest memory of this was watching the intro to the old Batman animated series on Cartoon Network when I was a kid. At the end of the intro he punches some criminals on top of a building, and the one criminal's hat (I think it was a little fez or something) falls off the building. I remember feeling bad for the hat, getting dropped like that.

I feel unusually bad after noticing that I lost/dropped something, usually small objects like pencils.

I named my car Melchior, I sometimes talk to it as I'm talking to myself and getting ready to drive somewhere.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2015, 12:47 pm

When I was a teenager, I had these fave mini skirts, they were so pretty & great colors, I LOVED wearing them, I got attached to them & other things. I have an old dresser I wont get rid of, so I'm going buy a new dresser & put my old one in my closet, that dresser was my mom's.

Sunnyboy2
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Dec 2015, 1:41 am

There was a time, at camp, I was unable to make friends.. so I made a stick my friend (I felt sort of sad not having anyone..). I was possibly eight or nine years old..
It had some interesting patterns on it, very likely from termites or a type of wood-boring insect. I tied a string to it and I dragged it around for a number of years. My father still has 'sticky-wicky' in his truck.

I have developed attachments to the larger photo printers I work with daily.
I may miss them just as much as my co-workers and the relatively mundane, consistent work involved working there.

I also have an incredible attachment to my car.
I'm never anywhere without my car and I like to be able to see him, if possible.

Megan140
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

14 Dec 2015, 3:26 am

Grammar Geek wrote:
Aspie202 wrote:
Grammar Geek wrote:
Yes! And my mom thinks it's so weird! For example, in high school a few years ago, they were serving turnovers at lunch. There were cherry, apple, and peach turnovers. The cherry and apple ones went in a flash, and the lunchroom staff kept putting more of them out. Meanwhile, the peach turnovers were virtually untouched. I felt so bad that nobody was taking those neglected turnovers, so I got one out of pity. This sort of thing happens to me a lot, and I hate it. I know the objects don't have feelings, but I can't help feeling bad for them!

I actually still have a pair of balloons from almost a month ago, and my mom keeps trying to convince me to pop them, even though I don't want to.

Oh man, that would hurt on two levels: one being the emotional attachment to the balloons, and the other being how much that would hurt my ears. I vividly remember a day in elementary school when we had to do a sort of relay race that involved sitting on balloons to pop them, and I just couldn't do it because it was so loud. The rest of my team was really pissed off at me. :(

Reason why I don't do balloons. I used to keep them for so long. It was worse with helium balloons. Popping them was just so sad!