Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

williamjay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2015, 4:17 am

I can't concentrate...unless it's one of my obsessions. Problem is none of my obsessions are something I can earn a living with....well maybe they are...I haven't figured that out yet. I've self-medicated for years with stimulants...it worked for a while...I was very creative in my twenties...I would dearly love to be a writer but have difficulty writing fiction...although there are other types of writing I can explore. The main problem is the concentration...I was diagnosed with Asperger's a few months ago aged 41 years old and since then have looked into prescribed medication to help me concentrate and focus. The doctors are completely unwilling to prescribe any kind of stimulant medication due to my past alcohol and drug abuse...self-medicating due to the issues I had growing up as a child and as an adult. I have other co-morbid conditions such as OCD, depression and I'm convinced I also have ADHD predominantly inattentive type....although this maybe part of having Asperger's Syndrome.
I live in the UK where it's incredibly hard to get prescribed any medication that may cause addiction or shock, horror might actually be pleasurable. There is a strong puritanical streak running through the medical profession in the UK. Drugs like Diazepam or any type of benzodiazepine, Dextroamphetamine, Methylphenidate and others are extremely hard to get off doctors in the UK...the only drug they seem willing to dish out are anti-depressants.
In the UK we have a completely different healthcare system to the USA...looking at posts from members who live in the USA they seem to find it easier to acquire medication...I guess because you're paying for it up front...or the doctors in the USA have a more relaxed approach to prescribing medication...correct me if I'm wrong My question is do these stimulant drugs help if you have Asperger's Syndrome? Does anyone have any advice in helping with concentration?

Thanks

WJ

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 4:29 am

williamjay wrote:
I can't concentrate...unless it's one of my obsessions. Problem is none of my obsessions are something I can earn a living with....well maybe they are...I haven't figured that out yet. I've self-medicated for years with stimulants...it worked for a while...I was very creative in my twenties...I would dearly love to be a writer but have difficulty writing fiction...although there are other types of writing I can explore. The main problem is the concentration...I was diagnosed with Asperger's a few months ago aged 41 years old and since then have looked into prescribed medication to help me concentrate and focus. The doctors are completely unwilling to prescribe any kind of stimulant medication due to my past alcohol and drug abuse...self-medicating due to the issues I had growing up as a child and as an adult. I have other co-morbid conditions such as OCD, depression and I'm convinced I also have ADHD predominantly inattentive type....although this maybe part of having Asperger's Syndrome.
I live in the UK where it's incredibly hard to get prescribed any medication that may cause addiction or shock, horror might actually be pleasurable. There is a strong puritanical streak running through the medical profession in the UK. Drugs like Diazepam or any type of benzodiazepine, Dextroamphetamine, Methylphenidate and others are extremely hard to get off doctors in the UK...the only drug they seem willing to dish out are anti-depressants.
In the UK we have a completely different healthcare system to the USA...looking at posts from members who live in the USA they seem to find it easier to acquire medication...I guess because you're paying for it up front...or the doctors in the USA have a more relaxed approach to prescribing medication...correct me if I'm wrong My question is do these stimulant drugs help if you have Asperger's Syndrome? Does anyone have any advice in helping with concentration?

Thanks

WJ

The doctors in the US are paid off by the drug companies to prescribe medications. So it's hard not to get a prescription. But those are the drugs they want to sell, not necessarily anything that will help you. It's mostly anti-depressants that they prescribe here too.

Jozie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

15 Dec 2015, 5:51 am

I have exactly the same problem and I did manage to get a psychiatrist to prescribe ritalin. It seems like there are similar attitude to prescribing stimulants in Australia because it was a pretty involved process not just the usual filling out a prescription. Unfortunately the ritalin didn't really help with my attention problem. I'm trying to get into meditation because there seems to be a lot of evidence that it is effective I do find it very difficult to do though.

williamjay
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Dec 2015, 11:56 am

Thanks for your replies...it seems the doctors are more willing to prescribe drugs like Ritalin to young kids than to adults. Go back forty years and the doctors would have no qualms whatsoever about prescribing Valium, Dexedrine, Purple Hearts etc...admittedly these drugs can cause addiction but I've been on a number of antidepressants and some of the side effects were horrific...the side effects with coming off Citalopram were horrible...it took me weeks to recover.
My wife was prescribed Sertraline and it made her hyper-manic and contributed to her losing her job.
Since reading about Sertraline I can't believe the amount of bad experiences people have had yet doctors still keep on prescribing it.

Jozie..yes that's what I'm exploring...meditation and other avenues.

Thanks for the info 0regonGuy

:D

slave
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 10:06 pm

williamjay wrote:
Thanks for your replies...it seems the doctors are more willing to prescribe drugs like Ritalin to young kids than to adults. Go back forty years and the doctors would have no qualms whatsoever about prescribing Valium, Dexedrine, Purple Hearts etc...admittedly these drugs can cause addiction but I've been on a number of antidepressants and some of the side effects were horrific...the side effects with coming off Citalopram were horrible...it took me weeks to recover.
My wife was prescribed Sertraline and it made her hyper-manic and contributed to her losing her job.
Since reading about Sertraline I can't believe the amount of bad experiences people have had yet doctors still keep on prescribing it.

Jozie..yes that's what I'm exploring...meditation and other avenues.

Thanks for the info 0regonGuy

:D

Idk how much you know about meditation, but there are many diff. types.
Mindfulness, insight, self-inquiry, anapanasati, metta, mantra, chakra, to name a few.

You may want to look for types where you develop the ability to focus/concentrate on a specific object. This method trains the mind to release all else and develop a one-pointed mind.

as just one example

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 3:42 am

ADHD meds will help just about anybody concentrate, one does not need to have adhd for them to work. Yes, they would help you.

I am in Canada and can't get a prescription for add meds myself. I have an ADHD friend who does not use his prescription and he may let me try some for a week, just to see if I should be pushing the issue with my Dr. (If I don't like them then at least I can stop thinking they might help)

Poor motivation

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

17 Dec 2015, 3:15 am

You could ask a doc/psych about taking Strattera. It's a non stimulant med that's for ADHD & can help with concentrating.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition