[UK] Support for Adults with Asperger's Syndrome

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Frankie_J
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Dec 2015, 6:20 pm

Hi all,

I'm 25 and last week, after nearly 5 years of waiting, I finally got an ASD assessment where I was told, even before the report was made, that they were "in no doubt" I have Asperger's syndrome. This is a huge relief to me, but now I need to work out what help and support is out there.

I live in Kent, United Kingdom and, of course, I'm an adult. Is there any financial support, employment help, etc, etc available to me now I have a diagnosis? I've had long term trouble with finding work and keeping work.

I read something about a railcard for people with disabilities, but I think there are things like that (and maybe free prescriptions - not 100% sure though) you can get only if you are on the disability benefit.

Can someone who is perhaps based in the UK provide me with this information and what's out there to help me?

Thanks!

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 6:34 pm

Perhaps the national autistic society can help.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 6:53 pm

http://www.autism.org.uk/about/benefits-care.aspx

There's quite a bit of information there.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 6:59 pm

There are quite a few regulars here from the UK, so stop in often. You can also start making your own inquiries by contacting the relevant social service agencies.

Take all the benefits you can get and never feel bad about it.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2015, 7:13 pm

There is also the Aspie Village website, a much smaller UK-based website that can be accessed here.

danum
Raven
Raven

16 Dec 2015, 7:55 am

Hello Frankie.

What help you can get depends on several things, where you live and what services are available, what benefits you're receiving, and how old you are.

One thing you might be able to get, and the eligibility criteria are the same throughout the country, is an English National Concessionary Travel Pass. You won't necessarily automatically be entitled to one just because of your diagnosis of AS though. You will have to show that because of your sensory perception difficulties or inability to multi-task or predict a person's likely behaviour that it would be unsafe for you to drive. You will require a letter of support though from your doctor or social worker.

Unfortunately help with getting, and keeping jobs is very patchy...you will have to research that.

Additionally there are various support/social groups - but these aren't to everyone's liking.

Good look.