Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2016, 11:16 pm

RenaeK wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:
I've never been Screened for Proso. :(

I detest baby talk.

It's either prosopagnosia or faceblind/faceblindness. Take your choice.

So do you also detest "AS" and I must say Autism Spectrum? "Proso" is what we call it in the prosopagnosia forums, it's also used clinically as an abbreviation just like HFA or ASD. I detest that you call an accepted abbreviation baby talk clearly without realising it is a common abbreviation.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen it used like that on the faceblind list I'm on.

If I do a Google search for "proso", how many pages do you think I'll have to go to before I finally find one where it is used for prosopagnosia.

RenaeK
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jan 2016, 7:06 am

eric76 wrote:
RenaeK wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:

I detest baby talk.

So do you also detest "AS" and I must say Autism Spectrum? "Proso" is what we call it in the prosopagnosia forums, it's also used clinically as an abbreviation just like HFA or ASD. I detest that you call an accepted abbreviation baby talk clearly without realising it is a common abbreviation.

To the best of my knowledge, I've never seen it used like that on the faceblind list I'm on.

If I do a Google search for "proso", how many pages do you think I'll have to go to before I finally find one where it is used for prosopagnosia.

I bet you can say that about a lot of clinical abbreviations.

My biggest urk with your comment was I don't think it was necessary. If you don't like baby talk, keep scrolling, you don't have to make someone feel bad about how they speak, especially not here in this forum.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 9:16 am

RenaeK wrote:

My biggest urk with your comment was I don't think it was necessary. If you don't like baby talk, keep scrolling, you don't have to make someone feel bad about how they speak, especially not here in this forum.

I don't believe that is a clinical abbreviation.

The purpose of language is to convey ideas. How can you hope to convey ideas using baby talk to people who don't recognize that baby talk? At least with prosopagnosia, if someone is unfamiliar with the term they can google it quickly and find plenty of information on the subject.

Try googling "proso" and you end up mainly with pages about millet. If I wasn't already very familiar with prosopagnosia, then I would have thought you were referring to yourself as some kind of millet which wouldn't make any sense at all. Even being familiar with prosopagnosia, if it wasn't a discussion about prosopagnosia, I wouldn't have had the slightest idea that the use term referred to prosopagnosia.

If you want to be understood, learn to use the proper terms. If you to be ignored, keep using baby talk.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jan 2016, 7:23 pm

RenaeK wrote:
eric76 wrote:
RenaeK wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Austinfrom1995 wrote:

I detest baby talk.

Thank you. I didn't know it was such a crime to use an abbreviation.

curiouscat1993

22 Jan 2016, 8:19 am

It seems I might have it, when I see someone from school it takes me a few seconds to recognise them.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2016, 4:45 pm

curiouscat1993 wrote:
It seems I might have it, when I see someone from school it takes me a few seconds to recognise them.

A few seconds to recognize someone doesn't sound like prosopagnosia at all.

Here's a test that might give you an idea: http://www.troublewithfaces.org/test-yourself-1. I don't guarantee that it works -- when I tried it, it didn't seem to work.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:25 am

I have a mild form. I'm slower to learn a person's face. I never misrecognize my own family, or people I know well like my friends or my family members' friends (who often visit). But teachers, classmates, acquaintances of any sort I'll have trouble recognizing.

I don't have any trouble recognizing that identical twins are identical, but I've also thought that random unrelated people looked identical to me. For example in one high school class, there were two girls with long blond hair, and even though they were different heights and were easily distinguished by everyone else, I couldn't tell them apart.

Regarding online tests, I've found the famous faces test isn't really applicable because most of those people I've either never heard of or never saw their face. The matching faces and learning new faces tests I usually do normal on. Where I really bombed, though, was on the 'quickly spot which of three pictures has a face' test. It flashes by three pictures of jumbled lines at once very quickly and you have to pick which one had a face (or a backpack) hidden in it. Most people were much better at detecting faces (90% accurate) than backpacks (60% accurate), but I performed at the backpack level on both.

So that explains my facial recognition issues. I'm slower to learn faces not because my ability to learn faces is impaired, but because I'm less likely to notice a face and therefore pay less attention to it. But when I consciously try to learn a face, I can.

So if I know ahead of time that I'll need to recognize a person, I'm more likely to do so. But I can't do this with everyone I meet, because then I'd have no energy to spare to devote to other things like getting schoolwork done, keeping organized, taking care of myself, etc.