Veteran
Veteran

18 Dec 2015, 10:58 am

Deep Purple
NWA
Chicago
Steve Miller
Cheap Trick

I am glad a Deep Purple is finally going in. They are great and helped bring in the hard rock and
Metal eras

I guess Chicago helped bring in jazz rock but I found that genre personally boring.

NWA became the public face of gangster rap but I do not know enough about the genre to comment

To be in the Hall of Fame you need to be hugely influencial and great. Steve Miller is very good and gets props for keeping psychedelic rock on the radio well into the '70's after most of the rest of the psychedelic rockers had moved on to progressive rock but that is just not enough for me.

Cheap Trick is a fun listen but no more really. There induction is ridiculous.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

thesewalls
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Dec 2015, 11:06 pm

This is the ROCK 'N' ROLL hall of fame. WTF is NWA doing on the list?
If Chris Squire dying didn't get Yes into the hall, they'll never get in.... :cry:

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 5:06 pm

thesewalls wrote:
This is the ROCK 'N' ROLL hall of fame. WTF is NWA doing on the list?
If Chris Squire dying didn't get Yes into the hall, they'll never get in.... :cry:

From the conception of the Hall of Fame onward, artists and groups have been inducted who weren't rock artists per se. Early inductees include Sam Cooke, Aretha Franklin, and Marvin Gaye. Later on, country and reggae artists have been added to the Hall. Finally, the induction of NWA as hip hop artists is not without precedent; they are joining rap colleagues Grandmaster Flash & Furious Five, Run DMC, the Beastie Boys, and Public Enemy. The Hall of Fame, in spite of its name, is not limited to rock and its subgenres, but is dedicated to the greats of all styles of popular music. Notable absentees so far are icons from electronic music.

thesewalls
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2016, 5:32 pm

AFAIC, admitting rap groups to the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame is like Jethro Tull winning the first Grammy for best Metal performance. It's just wrong.
At least they got Deep Purple and Chicago right. :)