Page 4 of 5 [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 11:28 am

Deltaville wrote:
...It enables me to make more informed opinions on the subject matter and augment them with evidence of whatever knowledge I gained.

So you say.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 11:29 am

Deltaville wrote:
You do realize that quoting someone or something does not imply endorsement of the said position.

I never said you did endorse it.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 11:35 am

AspE wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
...It enables me to make more informed opinions on the subject matter and augment them with evidence of whatever knowledge I gained.

So you say.

Commonsense would tell us that a person educated in a certain discipline, is less likely, at least in statistics to draw a related opinion that doesn't conform to lore.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

Last edited by Deltaville on 29 Jan 2016, 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 11:36 am

AspE wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
You do realize that quoting someone or something does not imply endorsement of the said position.

I never said you did endorse it.

The use of personal pronouns in your initial response suggested the contrary.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 11:52 am

AspE wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
Although as a counterpoint, the cause of the universes's formation cannot easily be construed without a supernatural intervention. The formation of mass in our universe cannot be ascribed to any physical properties or phenomenon, because the second law of thermodynamics is clear: mass (energy) cannot exceed the input energy that is added into it. Who added that initial energy? Obviously these fundamental scientific laws were breached.

The supernatural is not the default position when you don't know something. The universe is almost perfectly balanced between energy and gravitational potential energy, meaning that it took no net energy input for the Big Bang to occur. Which is exactly what we would expect to observe if the universe came from nothing.

0=1+(-1)

or

0=1,000,000+(-1,000,000)

etc.

That fact does not nullify conservation of energy. Moreover, energy can be transferred into different forms, and gravity needs matter in order to be facilitated as a natural force. Energy alone doesn't cut it.

Furthermore, the lack of material origin in an ex post facto manner only suggests a supernatural hypothesis. Again, it does not implicate my personal views on it.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 12:39 pm

Deltaville wrote:

That fact does not nullify conservation of energy. Moreover, energy can be transferred into different forms, and gravity needs matter in order to be facilitated as a natural force. Energy alone doesn't cut it.

Furthermore, the lack of material origin in an ex post facto manner only suggests a supernatural hypothesis. Again, it does not implicate my personal views on it.

It doesn't violate the law of conservation of energy, since no net energy was created.

And no, there is nothing that implies the supernatural. There exist several plausible naturalistic theories on the origin of the universe, none of which violate any known laws of physics.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 2:11 pm

AspE wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
The only One who can save us.

From himself?

From yourself.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 3:09 pm

nurseangela wrote:
AspE wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

From himself?

From yourself.

So why are we created to need saving from ourselves?

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 6:13 pm

AspE wrote:
So why are we created to need saving from ourselves?

Because the most religious among us say so, and that's how they explain their condescending (And sometimes malicious) attitudes - a rather repetitive argument from authority. Or should I say a vicious cycle, given they also blame the disasters that result on forces that they say are against God.

Mind you, I'm saying this as the son of two parents from different Christian denominations. I'm not revealing my affiliation right now... :wink:

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 7:39 pm

I've been the route of being an atheist when I was younger, and I was the most miserable sonafabeeyotch you could ever meet. Then again, growing up in a fundamentalist home and in a congregation that carried out the worst in Calvinist, Arminian and Classical Dispensational theology, and the Holy Scriptures were interpreted literally didn't help. South Central PA, being part of the Northern Bible Belt didn't help much. Being told that you were going to Hell because of what you did, what you listened to, and how you believed made one a pariah real fast. It wasn't till I got my first music gig after college in a Lutheran Congregation where I was accepted and loved that changed my mind. You didn't have to be hard core fundamentalist to bea Christian. To this day, I am not welcomed in the church I grew up in, but you know what? I've moved on. I told my psychologist today in my session it took me until joining the Lutherans to get my head screwed on straight.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 8:44 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
I've been the route of being an atheist when I was younger, and I was the most miserable sonafabeeyotch you could ever meet. Then again, growing up in a fundamentalist home and in a congregation that carried out the worst in Calvinist, Arminian and Classical Dispensational theology, and the Holy Scriptures were interpreted literally didn't help. South Central PA, being part of the Northern Bible Belt didn't help much. Being told that you were going to Hell because of what you did, what you listened to, and how you believed made one a pariah real fast. It wasn't till I got my first music gig after college in a Lutheran Congregation where I was accepted and loved that changed my mind. You didn't have to be hard core fundamentalist to bea Christian. To this day, I am not welcomed in the church I grew up in, but you know what? I've moved on. I told my psychologist today in my session it took me until joining the Lutherans to get my head screwed on straight.

OK, we all have our own journeys. I want people to be happy, but I think that's possible without holding irrational beliefs,

DailyPoutine1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 9:18 pm

nurseangela wrote:
AspE wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

From himself?

From yourself.

You have it all wrong! The only real deity is the Invisible Pink Unicorn!

adifferentname
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2016, 5:08 pm

DailyPoutine1 wrote:
nurseangela wrote:
AspE wrote:
nurseangela wrote:

From himself?

From yourself.

You have it all wrong! The only real deity is the Invisible Pink Unicorn!

Behold her invisible, pointy-headed glory.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 9:22 am

God is hope for an eternal and absolute justice personified.