Aspie/Neurotypical relationships

Page 4 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 2:05 pm

Yigeren wrote:
Nurseangela,

I've learned in the past couple of years that I was being insensitive and have been much better about it. Consoling people doesn't come naturally to me. It doesn't mean I don't care. It's just that I have trouble understanding how someone may be feeling and what the appropriate action is to take.

I'm making an effort to understand NTs and learn to give reactions that are helpful. My first instinct when someone comes to me with a problem is to offer solutions or relate my own experiences. But sometimes people just need to be comforted, and when I think about it, sometimes I need to be comforted too.

So I don't think all Aspies are like your friends. Some are willing and able to try to make themselves easier to get along with and to recognize areas in need of improvement.

And a lot of NT men are insensitive as well, so I wouldn't necessarily expect perfection from an NT guy in that area.

This is why I think Aspie women and NT men can have a relationship that works more than Aspie men and NT women. NT women, I think, need more "feeling and closeness" that NT men sometimes have difficulty with so it would be only understanding that Aspie men would find this kind of relationship even more difficult.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.