Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 9:30 pm

No.

Don't you have something better to do?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 9:35 pm

The media wants you to think they are. The media is very wrong and stupid and ignorant. The media wants to fear-monger everyone into believing that if someone acts the least bit out of the ordinary they will start the next mass shooting somewhere in the States. It's just sickening when people fall for their lies and misinformation. It makes me want to kill them all... oh wait... :P

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

29 Dec 2015, 10:37 pm

There's a lot of Serial Killers.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

AngelRho
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 12:19 am

Being on the spectrum doesn't help things, for sure. "Regular" folks may get upset, angry, and mention something about wanting to kill someone or making a threat to do it. MOST people recognize their own lashing out and wouldn't in a million years act on such an impulse. They know it's wrong, so they don't do it. People on the spectrum, on the other hand, aren't necessarily expected to understand the difference between saying something in anger and taking action. For some, it appears that those who don't act on murderous impulses are weaklings and cowards, and a REAL man will take action against people who are bothering him. Jail/prison doesn't matter, because the other guy is still dead. Or if he gets killed in the process, well, he's dead either way. Might as well make it quick and take some of THEM with him.

When you've been bullied for so long, a situation I'm all too familiar with, it's easy to get THOSE thoughts stuck in your head. My first thought after the Pearl High School shooting, which happened the year after I graduated high school, was why it took so long for someone to finally get the guts to do it? Then there was Jonesboro and Colombine. Again, not really surprised. And I have a difficult time imagining that people really are as shocked as they appear to be. As far as I'm aware, none of these particular guys are on the autistic spectrum. But, hey, if a couple of marginalized NT's can get pushed in a corner and shoot up a school, why would anyone be shocked if guys with asperger's who get kicked further out on the fringe pulled the same thing or even worse?

Anyway...keep in mind that correlation does not mean causation. Found this interesting study from last year: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2634865/Recipe-serial-killer-revealed-Childhood-abuse-autism-head-injuries-common-murderers-study-claims.html

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 9:03 am

AngelRho wrote:
Being on the spectrum doesn't help things, for sure. "Regular" folks may get upset, angry, and mention something about wanting to kill someone or making a threat to do it. MOST people recognize their own lashing out and wouldn't in a million years act on such an impulse. They know it's wrong, so they don't do it. People on the spectrum, on the other hand, aren't necessarily expected to understand the difference between saying something in anger and taking action. For some, it appears that those who don't act on murderous impulses are weaklings and cowards, and a REAL man will take action against people who are bothering him. Jail/prison doesn't matter, because the other guy is still dead. Or if he gets killed in the process, well, he's dead either way. Might as well make it quick and take some of THEM with him.

When you've been bullied for so long, a situation I'm all too familiar with, it's easy to get THOSE thoughts stuck in your head. My first thought after the Pearl High School shooting, which happened the year after I graduated high school, was why it took so long for someone to finally get the guts to do it? Then there was Jonesboro and Colombine. Again, not really surprised. And I have a difficult time imagining that people really are as shocked as they appear to be. As far as I'm aware, none of these particular guys are on the autistic spectrum. But, hey, if a couple of marginalized NT's can get pushed in a corner and shoot up a school, why would anyone be shocked if guys with asperger's who get kicked further out on the fringe pulled the same thing or even worse?

Anyway...keep in mind that correlation does not mean causation. Found this interesting study from last year: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2634865/Recipe-serial-killer-revealed-Childhood-abuse-autism-head-injuries-common-murderers-study-claims.html

A) You're confused as to what the subject is.

B) The article you link to also seems to be confused- the author cant keep track of what he himself is talking about!

The subject is serial killers. Not mass murderers/spree killers.

If you kill one victim at a time (say pick them up as hitchhikers on the road) , once a month, for a year you are a 'serial killer'. If you go to a shopping mall with an M-16 and mow down a dozen people all at once- that makes you a "mass murderer" (aka "spree killer"). Not really the same thing.

The Columbine killers, the San Bernadino couple, Sandy Hook, Aurora, Andre Brevik, are all examples of "mass murderers" . None are examples of "serial killers".

Examples of serial killers would be: Jack the Ripper, Ted Bundy, John Wayne Gacy, and Jeffrey Daumier.

The Columbine type spree shooters are sometimes portrayed as having been bullied, and are often rumored to be autistic. But you dont hear that sort of thing said about the likes of Ted Bundy, or Gacy.

Spree killers might be motivated by anger at being bullied. But your typical serial killer doesnt seem to have that kind of motive.Anger has nothing to do with it.

The serial killers listed above were all "recreational killers" who did if for the sexual sadism. Of course there are other folks who happened to have also killed many individual victims over a long time period who would also be classified as "serial killers" like John Dillenger, or Ted Kozinski.

There seems to be a special category of "serial medical murderers". You hear about psychos who work as nurses in hospitals who get a kick out of causing patients to die and rack up big body counts. The worst example might be that British village doctor, Harold Shipman, who murdered 250 people over a several decade career. But I digress.

alienobserver99
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Dec 2015, 9:13 am

neptunekh wrote:
just wondering

Probably not. I think people with Asperger like characteristics that commit murders are known as sociopaths.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 10:11 am

For Christ sake no.

Serial killers are usually either drug-influenced or just deranged monsters. Not more likely to be Asperger's.

Please, stop believing the lack of empathy BS and associating it with wanting to kill people.

Now just stop trying to feed the stigma against Aspies.

Thank you.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 11:21 am

AngelRho wrote:

Interesting in that an study that violated nearly every rule of proper science received widespread mainstream media coverage
http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillingham/2014/05/21/no-timothy-mcveigh-was-not-autistic/

There are not a lot of autistic mass murderers. There are not a lot of mass murderers period. The problem now is you have copycats who are trying to one up each other. This incites the media which in turn incites copycats.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 11:24 am

Is that Albert Schweitzer in your avatar?

It looks a little bit like Kevorkian, too.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 12:01 pm

neptunekh wrote:
just wondering

We all should either lock this thread, or all decide what subject we are all talking about.

Neptunekh: Are you talking about "serial killers"?

Or are you talking about "mass murderers"?

The two are not the same thing.

By "Alot" you probably don't mean "a large absolute number". You probably mean "do a high proportion of folks who indulge in [whichever thing you're talking about] have aspergers"?

If its serial killers- probably not. The only serial killer I know of who had aspie tendencies (which were the least of his pyschotic problems) was Unabomber Ted Kozinski. Most of the others (Bundy, Daumier) seemed quite NT from what I gather.

If its mass murderers- the media does hint that many were autistic. I dunno. I can imagine a bullied autistic becoming a Columbine type shooter. But don't know if its been actually proven that a high proportion of spree killers are autistic.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 12:04 pm

No, all serial killers are disturbed, but that doesn't mean they're mentally different from the general population. Anyone is capable of anything if nurtured properly.

pcuser
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 8:33 pm

ZombieBrideXD wrote:
There's a lot of Serial Killers.

Actually, there aren't that many serial killers. It seems that way because of all the media coverage when one is identified as such. I was just today reading about that in The Better Angels Of Our Natures. I also asked my psychologist about autism and psychopathy this afternoon. She said psychopathy is a defect in the brain having nothing to do with autism, which is simply a different brain structure. She also said autistics are probably less likely to kill than others...