Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 11:13 pm

It would help.....but it wouldn't get rid of the autism if the person is autistic. The symptoms might ease.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 11:32 pm

:| Maybe it does exist. Hopefully...

On a related note, NEVER let yourselves be forced into medication without learning every risk & NEVER consume prescription drugs at the suggestion of someone lacking in patience or placing any sort of demands on you. I've been there and I wouldn't wish that fight on any living being big or small. I'm exceedingly proud to say I still have my liver & kidneys intact to show for winning that fight. Even moreso to know I still have the ability to adapt within my mind.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 1:13 am

Yes autism is really. Look at the videos about kids with autism and see how much they are afflicted with it. Also look at severely autistic kids. I am sure there are kids out there who are/were misdiagnosed and they are actually just quirky or nerdy or geeky or gifted and it was just the environment they were in that made them seem aspie but I would hope they are the minority.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 1:58 am

cberg wrote:
:|On a related note, NEVER let yourselves be forced into medication without learning every risk & NEVER consume prescription drugs at the suggestion of someone lacking in patience or placing any sort of demands on you. I've been there and I wouldn't wish that fight on any living being big or small. I'm exceedingly proud to say I still have my liver & kidneys intact to show for winning that fight. Even moreso to know I still have the ability to adapt within my mind.

Same here. I never took any of the drugs that my mother gave me. When she gave me a pill. I'd put it under my tongue, go outside and spit it out. I was a avid tree climber and the last thing I needed was to feel lolliloopy while I was 100ft up in the air.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 4:43 am

zeropiwa wrote:
I mean earlier if you were interested in science, math, art etc. you would not be labelled as "autistic" but "gifted", "talented", "intelligent". Now if you care about anything other than beer, repetitive cliche interactions or want your conversations to be meaningful or dislike socializing with shallow people you are "autistic".

If you do have a chance to follow your curiosity and develop your skills then you excel at something and are called a "genius" and featured on tv shows and "allowed" to pursue your curiosity or creativity. But if you run into a lot of shallow-minded bullies, regardless whether they are classmate-bullies, teacher-bullies or worse still, family-bullies - you end up psychologically messed up, you cannot unfold your true self and end up being incapacitated rather than a celebrity. But if you are "lucky", you may not even discover what the autism label is all about, not to mention being "diagnosed".

Has it ever occured to you that we are a bit like X-Men? We all have certain superpowers but we are in the minority and forced to hide from or compromise with people who do not possess them and are simply driven by envy and hatred towars anything that goes beyond their mindframe?

No, it doesn't exist. Nothing to see here. Move along. Bye bye.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 5:46 am

LupaLuna wrote:
cberg wrote:
:|On a related note, NEVER let yourselves be forced into medication without learning every risk & NEVER consume prescription drugs at the suggestion of someone lacking in patience or placing any sort of demands on you. I've been there and I wouldn't wish that fight on any living being big or small. I'm exceedingly proud to say I still have my liver & kidneys intact to show for winning that fight. Even moreso to know I still have the ability to adapt within my mind.

Same here. I never took any of the drugs that my mother gave me. When she gave me a pill. I'd put it under my tongue, go outside and spit it out. I was a avid tree climber and the last thing I needed was to feel lolliloopy while I was 100ft up in the air.

People in America seem to harbor an absolutely callous disrespect for personal sovereignty & medical objectivity. It's one tiny step short of menacing until it just becomes assault. People become convinced it's their duty to 'help' when they see rose-tinted commercials for dangerous narcotics, so they push them. My own parents decided cessation of most firing between my neurons was the right thing to do so they tried to coerce me to eat lithium carbonate, which imposes on human brains the EXACT same chemical properties as a laptop battery. The same things that overheat & burn straight through aircraft aluminum. It was nothing more than a months-long battle of "eat these drugs" > "NO" - if my thoughts aren't comfortable, so be it, they're my own and I'll generate new ones so long as I don't spitefully destroy the old.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 6:00 am

Yes it does exist and it's like a spanner in the works of my already meager existence.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 9:18 am

If Autistics are only intellengent the whole idea of a spectrum is a mistake what do you propose to call people who have many autistic traits but who are not intellengent "ret*d", "feeble minded" , "moron" etc.

You do understand that originally Autistics were thought of only as severely affected with little or no intellegence and it took decades of work to get partial acceptence that autistics can be intellegent. This is still not fully understood. What you propose to do would undo all this good work and have the opposite effect of what you intend. You would cause more of what is going on now which is non autistics saying since you guys are geniuses figure it our yourselves stop whining and your cure is to have someone beat some sense into you. You would cause the people formally labeled autistic to be more depressed/suicidal which is how people respond when they find out people they thought were allies abandon them.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

michael517
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 11:04 am

Can't you have ASD and still like beer? :(

Do we have to create an Aspergian beer-drinking website? :)

(I am not in the mood to get into an argument over whether Autism exists).

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 9:27 pm

Possibly it doesn't exist.
The traits exist, but autism as a coherent entity may not.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

31 Dec 2015, 9:35 pm

I've been around autism a good amount of my life....and my conclusion is that (especially within people with Kanner-type autism), there is a definite syndrome going on, with characteristic symptoms which, while not exactly objective, come close to being objective.

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

31 Dec 2015, 10:25 pm

I think you're asking a subjective question.. Whether or not the label is meaningless since it's expanded so much is reprehensible and may hurt others by creating a fear monger..

I don't think the label exists per se, it's just a list of multiple symptoms or behaviors that classify it as such.. They did the same thing when the label ADHD was invented..

I don't believe there's such thing as a diverse brain like they suggest. Do Autistics interpret things differently or have a harder time? Maybe. People forget lots of symptoms are due to free radical damages.