Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2015, 11:58 pm

I seriously want to study them or at least do a survey. I definitely notice that a lot of people who work with autistic kids have similar behavior. They're either BAP themselves or high self monitor NTs. My survey will include an autism test and a self monitoring test and ask people questions about why they chose to work with autistic kids. How can I conduct this survey?

FloralChickenCollective
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Jan 2016, 6:56 pm

It depends on what level you want to study them. I'm currently doing a project about autism activism for my senior thesis and I had to get approved by school's institutional review board before starting, but if you're unaffiliated with an academic institution I'm pretty sure you can just put a survey out there and see what you get. I used google forms to make my surveys and then put links to them on here and on tumblr and sent them to a few autism related organizations, I've gotten 800+ responses to them that way. You'll want to have a clear description and make your goals clear to the participants because of informed consent/ethics. You can still be published if you're unaffiliated as well if that's your end goal.

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2016, 7:09 pm

FloralChickenCollective wrote:
It depends on what level you want to study them. I'm currently doing a project about autism activism for my senior thesis and I had to get approved by school's institutional review board before starting, but if you're unaffiliated with an academic institution I'm pretty sure you can just put a survey out there and see what you get. I used google forms to make my surveys and then put links to them on here and on tumblr and sent them to a few autism related organizations, I've gotten 800+ responses to them that way. You'll want to have a clear description and make your goals clear to the participants because of informed consent/ethics. You can still be published if you're unaffiliated as well if that's your end goal.

I'm not affiliated with anyone. I just want to figure out what motivates people to work with autistic and special needs people. Mainly because a certain type of person seems to be drawn to special needs people. As a person who was in special ed I want to understand my those people better. Do you have any idea where I can post informal online surveys about this?

FloralChickenCollective
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jan 2016, 10:59 pm

I know that some people who work with autistic kids are on here so you could post on here, I would try to find other forums that are more focused on people who work with autistic kids though.

Dysmania
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jan 2016, 9:03 pm

One way would be to create an internet survey. Once you have this done, then you can post it up a lot of ABA clinician facebook groups. ABA mostly work with autistics. So to me that would be the easiest way to go for it.

I'm sure there's other ways, just can't think of any easy ways.

For someone who has been in special ed, and who works in the field... That's what i would do. But then it would be precise to ABA itself.

Feel free to contact me, I wouldn't mind helping in any way that I can. I have made a few rating scales and questionnaires. I also have a website that I can post it up on.

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jan 2016, 3:43 am

I'm an autistic spectrum (self diagnosed) teacher who teaches nt kids.

My experience might be interesting too, I especially focus on the highly social way that normal children learn.

Its very interesting because I have difficulty learning with peers present.

bunnymommy
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2016, 5:36 pm

I finally made an account, to reply to this post. I'm a behavioral technician working with autistic kids. Two months ago, I experienced a truly terrible training day when I was expected to practice with a group of other new hires and then be evaluated individually by a teacher, pretending another adult was actually an autistic child and I was to decipher what their best reinforcers would be. As I sat there silent, twiddling my fingers furiously on my invisible but familiar trumpet, my brain drawing a complete and total blank under the burning sensation of eyes judging me, I realized that I was exhibiting the exact behaviors I was learning about. I received an email the next day, noting the importance of accepting criticism. I came home troubled, but as I learned more about it, I became more sure and more accepting. I have AS. The next fear was this job. How unfair, that I'd stumble into a job (on Facebook?!) and it just happens to be working with kids who have what I've been surreptitiously self-diagnosed with. Do I tell them? Don't I? For now, that's on a need-to-know basis. I just told my trainer, whom I will have to see again next weekend. I also told my supervisor. She and my regional director seem to appreciate me and the work that I do. I feel I'm valuable because I understand my current clients (autistic female pre-school girls, but I work in-home with each individual) very well and research the topic endlessly right now. I hope to get a diagnosis soon and share the official results with HR. I hope you can glean some information from my ramble. Not everyone with ASD can do this type of work, but I do think it was made for me thus far. I've always looked or my place in society, and I firmly believe I am a Helper.