Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

zchong
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jan 2016, 10:59 pm

Do NT's ever rock back and forth in normal situations? My friend, who I am pretty sure is a NT rocks back and forth in normal situations a lot.

[url]https://tvbookfilmreviewers.wordpress.com/
[/url]
https://writersrandomideas.wordpress.com/
https://justanotherstupidblogsite.wordpress.com/

ImAnAspie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 2:23 am

zchong wrote:
Do NT's ever rock back and forth in normal situations? My friend, who I am pretty sure is a NT rocks back and forth in normal situations a lot.

How pretty sure are you?

Your Aspie score: 151 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 60 of 200

Formally diagnosed in 2007.

Learn the simple joy of being satisfied with little, rather than always wanting more.

dcj123
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 6:26 am

Rocking back and forth a lot probably means something is wrong either in the anxiety or neurological department. Can be caused by lots of things but thats the basic two problems it comes from. I don't think in excess, its something most NTs or anyone without the above issues have.

I am sorry if this post sounds hateful towards some people by insinuating that rocking back and forth is not normal, I was careful with my wording here and it still comes across that way to me rereading it. Basically I don't think its usual, thats not to say its flawed.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 8:35 am

None of the NTs I know rock. I have a very big extended family and have several friends. I have never seen a single one of them rock ever unless they were enjoying a rocking chair. I rock a lot and most people just ignore it. My NT brother will often ask me why I am rocking to see if I am anxious or nervous.

Wreck It Ralph

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 8:39 am

skibum wrote:
None of the NTs I know rock. I have a very big extended family and have several friends. I have never seen a single one of them rock ever unless they were enjoying a rocking chair. I rock a lot and most people just ignore it. My NT brother will often ask me why I am rocking to see if I am anxious or nervous.
Rocking no, but, twirling in the chair, yes. I mean, c'mon, who doesn't like that?

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 8:57 am

dcj123 wrote:
Rocking back and forth a lot probably means something is wrong either in the anxiety or neurological department. Can be caused by lots of things but thats the basic two problems it comes from. I don't think in excess, its something most NTs or anyone without the above issues have.

I am sorry if this post sounds hateful towards some people by insinuating that rocking back and forth is not normal, I was careful with my wording here and it still comes across that way to me rereading it. Basically I don't think its usual, thats not to say its flawed.

I agree. if someone does that, it's probably anxiety or neurological. I have seen people suffering from anxiety rock back and forth. But those people could have also had a neurological condition that I don't know about. But it's definitely one of the two.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 9:06 am

zkydz wrote:
skibum wrote:
Rocking no, but, twirling in the chair, yes. I mean, c'mon, who doesn't like that?
:D Where my brother works, they have these little stools that the tops twirl but people don't know that when you keep twirling on them eventually the top that you are sitting on just comes off. And they make it a point not to tell people. It's hilarious to see how many people fall off those stools. They are super low to the ground so no one gets hurt. But it's really funny.

Wreck It Ralph

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 10:05 am

skibum wrote:
zkydz wrote:
skibum wrote:
:D Where my brother works, they have these little stools that the tops twirl but people don't know that when you keep twirling on them eventually the top that you are sitting on just comes off. And they make it a point not to tell people. It's hilarious to see how many people fall off those stools. They are super low to the ground so no one gets hurt. But it's really funny.

Yeah...that'd make me laugh too. :mrgreen:

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

arielhawksquill
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 10:28 am

I've seen NTs rock, but only while upset and hysterically crying. It's not a regular self-soothing stim for neurotypical people.

Otenboss
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Jan 2016, 10:37 am

This is a very good question actually. But no, I've never noticed NTs rocking at all. In fact, to me, it seems they can be still for hours. And I'm over here jumping out of my skin... And, based on the personal experience of having people stare at me like I'm insane for rocking, I would also gather they don't really do so in private.