Toucan
Toucan

02 Jan 2016, 2:39 am

I have that as well as aspergers.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 2:46 am

i don't have BPD, but my sister does and her son is an aspie. it seems horribly difficult to live with BPD.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 10:49 am

I have subclinical BPD tendencies. It's awful. I can only imagine it's a lot worse to have the full condition.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Jan 2016, 6:34 pm

I was diagnosed with it but I didn't really have it. I just had the symptoms due to a psychotic depression. My anxiety & OCD caused me to act very controlling within my 1st relationship because I believed bad things were going on that weren't & I fell into a bad depression when things fell apart between us. I don't have the problems in my current relationship cuz my anxiety & OCD are well treated by meds.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

k1hodgman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2016, 6:12 pm

I suspect I might. I even posted a list of my behaviors in the General Autism Discussion thread to see if they thought it was more Asperger's or BPD. I'm going to a Psychologist to get a diagnosis this year anyway, so I suppose it doesn't matter.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jan 2016, 9:10 pm

I have BPD and AS, yes. For me it presents with unstable moods, feelings of emptiness, extreme bouts of dsyphoria that may come out of nowhere and only last a few hours, feelings of abandonment, chronic suicidal ideation, intense anger, intense unstable relationships that split between black and white, as well as impulsive spending, sex, and driving. Most anti-depressants really don't touch the depression and most of it doesn't follow any normal pattern and is usually triggered by circumstances in my life. The chronic suicidal thoughts and the dsyphoria I find are the most difficult to struggle with, feeling like you wanna put a bullet in your head for years on end.

Even though I have BPD, I feel like my feelings I experience are the result of my life circumstances, and to me, I wonder how anyone else in my shoes would not feel the same.

melmaclorelai
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Jan 2016, 12:00 am

I don't have it myself but my best friend believes that she has it and I trust her judgement.

Ninibear
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2016, 4:47 am

I have BPD. I'm 99% sure I'm AS (no professional has confirmed it yet).
I also developed Avoidant PD to cope with these two conditions so that actually keeps me safe... As long as I isolate myself, avoid coming into contact with people, my symptoms don't show too much :0

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 12:53 pm

I don't think I have BPD, but I do wonder about Avoidant PD. I have all the symptoms except that I don't desire closeness with others. So maybe isolating myself is not a 'disorder' in my case, but just how I prefer to live? I'm happy this way, and don't want to be 'cured' of it, so - I guess it's best to focus on issues that do trouble me.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 5:42 pm

There is so much overlap between the two, i've wondered how one would know thery had both.. Or what the distinct traits are that differentiate one from the other.

There are versions of aspie that are clearly just aspie. But some versions, particularly with the whole 'everyone is different and women present different' as well..has had me wondering.

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 8:03 pm

Ashariel wrote:
I don't think I have BPD, but I do wonder about Avoidant PD. I have all the symptoms except that I don't desire closeness with others. So maybe isolating myself is not a 'disorder' in my case, but just how I prefer to live? I'm happy this way, and don't want to be 'cured' of it, so - I guess it's best to focus on issues that do trouble me.

I think Schizoid is for people who do not desire any social contact at all.

Ashariel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 8:47 pm

Noca wrote:

Yeah, the psych who diagnosed me with Asperger's said I met the qualifications for Schizoid PD too, but you can't have both, so in that case Asperger's is the correct diagnosis. There is a lot of overlap with all of these though!

Ninibear
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Jan 2016, 8:57 pm

Noca wrote:
Ashariel wrote:

Many people with AvPD tend to want to connect with people, but can't because of their fears. I'm pretty sure that the want to connect with others isn't actually in the diagnostic criteria though, it's just common (especially when it's often co-morbid with Dependent PD).

AvPD itself is more about how one suffers from a self-esteem so low that they avoid all sorts of things so they won't be ridiculed/criticised/rejected. Very similar to social anxiety. I don't generally want to make friends and be with people, but when I do, I avoid doing so because of those fears lol.

Those with Schizoid PD may not want to be with anyone because they don't feel much towards others due to flattened affect and apathy, but some can have co-morbid AvPD because they may fear ridicule/criticism/rejection so much that they avoid everything to an unhealthy level.

A lot of AS people like their solitude though, that's for sure :D

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 9:07 pm

I have symptoms sometimes, but they come and go. I have depression most of the time.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 1:14 am

My brother was diagnosed with BPD, although I am a completely different person than he is.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

mouse35
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2016, 3:05 pm

I was diagnosed with bpd at 15, told in August last year I had been misdiagnosed. I actually have high functioning autism,Tourettes with additional communication and sensory processing disorder and social anxiety. Took along time to work out the difference. The main ones being I don't have mood swings or impulsive behavior. The damage misdiagnosis does can be hard to deal with either way. :D :D