Does it help to accept being a loser the rest of your life?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

BrainPower101
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jan 2016, 3:45 pm

Let's face it, Autism isn't going anywhere anytime soon and the majority are still NT that hate us.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 3:48 pm

It helps to accept your limitations.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 3:59 pm

Let's face it, Autistics are not going anywhere soon. The majority of NT's are confused by us.

In my experience NT's have more trouble even knowing their limitations never mind accepting them, autistics know thier limitations too well and dwell on them.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 4:00 pm

No, it doesn't help, it is likely to become self-fulfilling prophecy.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 4:06 pm

This:

babybird wrote:
It helps to accept your limitations.
And this:
btbnnyr wrote:
No, it doesn't help, it is likely to become self-fulfilling prophecy.
Both quoted for truth.

A "Loser", in this context, is a person who gives up when confronted with opinions from people who have no idea what they're talking about, when the person is capable of surpassing the opinions of others.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

02 Jan 2016, 4:31 pm

Not a loser, an everyday hero. A person who faces their demons head on everyday and keeps going. True strength and courage comes from overcoming your limitations and living the best life you can.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 4:56 pm

As long as someone thinks they are a loser, the higher the chance that they will lose.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 5:24 pm

Personally I choose not to be a loser. It takes no effort to be a loser

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 5:30 pm

Stop thinking of yourself as a loser; otherwise, your self-fulfilling prophecy will come true.

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Jan 2016, 5:45 pm

BrainPower101 wrote:
Let's face it, Autism isn't going anywhere anytime soon and the majority are still NT that hate us.

My theory is that it is very high-functioning people on the autism spectrum that have the strongest fear and resentment against autistic people. As an NT, I find autistic people just very interesting, including the stressful ones, even if I get upset with one or the other of you from time to time, and most of the time for a rather good reason, it is much easier to stand and to deal with it, since I know better what is going on.

I think that awareness about autism has grown a lot in the last 20 years, and this growth bears a tremendous potential for the future. It is true that some people are getting a little nervous, but that is part of the process.

We neurotypics wouldnt be what we are without autistic people. It is like a yin and yang, and all about keeping a good balance.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 5:47 pm

No doubt about that!

Very excellent insight!

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jan 2016, 10:03 pm

It's not hard for me to accept that I'm a failure in life and that I will be this way for the rest of my existence; what's hard is explaining it to other people and getting them to accept and understand it.

I'm not getting married, I'm probably not going to learn how to drive, and I don't see myself graduating from school or getting a job anytime soon, so everyone who pressures me to do these things can f**k right off. I don't need to conform to NT standards of success. I'd rather do what I want with my life and live up to my own goals. I hate being pressured by other people, I hate having expectations placed on me, I wish I could JUST. STOP. CARING. It would save me a lot of stress and anxiety, and who knows, maybe I'd even be able to accomplish some of the things I am actually interested in accomplishing.

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

03 Jan 2016, 5:17 am

Evam wrote:
BrainPower101 wrote:
We neurotypics wouldnt be what we are without autistic people

Well, we would not have Microsoft Windows :)

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

Evam
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2016, 6:15 am

It is not only computers and technical achievements. The "empathisation spiral" (Fritz Breithaupt) is driven by works of art made by and for people on the spectrum, and emancipatory as well as oppressive movements on a personal as well as on a political level cant be understood in their dynamic without taking into account neurodiversity.

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jan 2016, 6:28 am

Unless all of humanity tells me to "drop dead" I refuse to back down and even then I'll just stick around to make their lives irritating since they hate me just for existing.

I refuse to be a loser, I'm improving my social skills despite not being able to afford my ASD Psychiatrist, I'm studying programming on my own time and working on my own website and app that I plan to launch by summer. Even if it doesn't do well at least I proved I'm competent and I got a ton of other games and apps I want to make.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2016, 10:06 am

It's very unlikely you are actually a loser, so accepting that would not be a good idea.

Being autistic does not make you a loser, being a loser makes you a loser, it's not exclusive to being autistic.