Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 1:38 am

Matt Fuller Explores autism spectrum in intimate film

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2016, 4:44 am

interesting

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 1:34 pm

The film's web-site and trailer is online ( http://www.autisminlove.com/ ).

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Aspie202
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jan 2016, 1:35 pm

I will have to check this out.

NYAspie
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2016, 9:14 pm

Aspie202 wrote:
I will have to check this out.

Me too

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 9:19 am

It has aired, did anybody see it?

As much as five people can represent the spectrum these 5 people documented did. This was a nice change from the burden and funny socially ackward stereotypes you see usually see on TV. You had a person that is like many members here is depressed, hates his autism because he can't be normal, a Kanner type autistic a middle age man living at home but employed at at minimum wage type job, and couple in a happy long term relationship the man is a scientific type, the women is the artistic type.

A shorter independent film ran after "Autism in Love" featuring a 9 year old who fully accepts his autism.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2016, 12:53 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
It has aired, did anybody see it?

As much as five people can represent the spectrum these 5 people documented did. This was a nice change from the burden and funny socially ackward stereotypes you see usually see on TV. You had a person that is like many members here is depressed, hates his autism because he can't be normal, a Kanner type autistic a middle age man living at home but employed at at minimum wage type job, and couple in a happy long term relationship the man is a scientific type, the women is the artistic type.

A shorter independent film ran after "Autism in Love" featuring a 9 year old who fully accepts his autism.

Autism In Love was very good. I appreciate that it was produced (mostly) in a cinema-verite style, even if verite isn’t really achievable.

I am glad that PBS chose to include Sophie and Ben as part of its overall broadcast. It serves to balance the pathos of Autism In Love.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 7:47 am

Full film

It is also available on ITunes, Amazon etc

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2016, 6:20 pm

that one guy that was very upset that he couldn't do anything...i felt the same way as him.
i mean, even though I work and can drive and I pay my bills and buy things...I constantly feel like I'm one toe away from either losing it all or just letting it go. I have no friends, I don't go to outings or whatever people with friends do. I don't date. I live at home. and the way I pay my bills is just giving my dad a certain amount each bi-week and then he pays the bills. I only mainly drive in the summer...and when we drive somewhere for vacations. Everything I do, that a 35 yr old woman should do...is because the world SAYS I have to do it.

but unlike that guy who says he'd take the cure no hesitation...i would not. i don't feel like I have to completely change myself to fit in. i was made this way for a reason.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
#DemandCartoonDiversity

Boo Radley
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2016, 1:39 am

I really enjoyed this documentary. I identified with Lindsay quite a bit (even though I am male). I felt like her manifestation of autism or level of autism was about the same as mine.

Lenny's honesty was amazing. His story really shook me up and made me think. That scene in the park was heartbreaking.

Stephen's story was beautiful and sad. His wife was so wonderful.

I'm going to watch this again tonight.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 10:27 am

I'd say something inappropriate but i'd get banned so...

Cool story bro.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 3:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Full film

Thank for posting this link. You can watch the whole movie on your smart phone, which is what I did. It's very good, and I enjoyed it. I usually don't watch movies all the way through, but this one I did.

Request for next movie...

Nonwhites and non heterosexuals. I know more non hetero non white Aspies than I do who is portrayed in this movie.

Beggars can't be choosers. I'll take adults dealing with adult issues, than another affluent family with their autistic child movie.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2016, 3:41 pm

SLTrib.com wrote:
Two filmmakers who examine romance for people on the autism spectrum will receive this year's Peek Award for Disability in Film.

The award, presented by the Utah Film Center, will be given to director Matt Fuller and producer Carolina Groppa at a ceremony Wednesday, 7 p.m., at the Rose Wagner performing Arts Center, 138 W. 300 South, Salt Lake City.

Fuller and Groppa are the makers of the documentary "Autism in Love," which follows four people on the autism spectrum as they navigate the world of dating and romance....

http://www.sltrib.com/entertainment/349 ... to-receive

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

11 Feb 2016, 11:46 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Full film

I get the error message that I'm unable to watch it in my region due to rights restrictions.

Lockeye
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2016, 4:10 am

I appreciate that you posted this film and that it is available to watch. I'm probably going in watching it already looking out for unnecessary ableism and patronizing, but I can point that stuff out for another thread if I have the willpower to post about it.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2016, 7:06 pm

Wow! I really enjoyed this film! I really loved the different perspectives and how they engaged with a bunch of people all over the spectrum. :D
It was really very good.
I enjoyed all the different stories people had.

But oh boy were some of them sad! 8O I liked the mostly positive spins on things in the end. I love that the guy Lenny got a job eventually- that can be so helpful!

The couple were so cute! Wow, I enjoyed that film more than I thought I would.