Why are men insecure about this?

Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 7:23 pm

I find the bald Sinead O'Connor to be quite feminine, actually. :P

But yes, I do agree, by and large, in what you are saying.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jan 2016, 7:25 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are many times when balding is really not a sign of "age." A fair amount of men start going bald in their 20's----including great athletes!

Yup. Male pattern baldness can begin as early as the mid-teens, actually -- a guy can be as bald as he's ever going to be by the time he's 20 years old (or even before that).

Love transcends all.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 6:29 am

I do not give a damn about the hair on my head, if it means I can have broader shoulders. Hell, I'd like to increase my Dihydrotestosterone. DHT is a more power androgen than testosterone, meaning it grows muscle better and causes a greater increase in strength than regular testosterone.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 6:31 am

Aristophanes wrote:
helloarchy wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
Oddly enough, baldness is actually a sign of higher testosterone.

That's (also) a myth. Balding men don't have any more testosterone than men with hair, on average. However, their hair follicles are more sensitive to dihydro-testosterone (DHT), which can lead to balding.

If/when I start to bald, I'll just be shaving my hair off and embracing it. Same with going grey, I'll just dye the rest of my hair grey and embrace it.

Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology

excerpt:

Results were obtained from logistic regression models, adjusting simultaneously for all the measured hormones and age. Men with higher levels of testosterone were more likely to have vertex baldness (odds ratio [OR] = 2.5, 95% confidence interval [CI: 0.9 to 7.8] per 194 ng/dL increment of testosterone). In addition, for each 59 ng/mL increase in IGF-1, the odds of having vertex baldness doubled (95% CI [1.0 to 4.6]). Those who were found to have higher circulating levels of SHBG were less likely to have dense hair on their chest (OR = 0.4, 95% CI [0.1 to 0.9] per 24 nmol/L increment in SHBG]). Conclusion: Testosterone, SHBG, and IGF-1 may be important in determining hair patterning in men.

Damn you for getting all scientific before me :P lol.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 6:32 am

I'm not bald, but my hair has thinned out on top. It may have been due to taking accutane though.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 6:34 am

I'm curious though. It would seem DHT level peak around the same time regular testosterone levels start to lower. It would be interesting to see a study, considering DHT is a more power androgen than testosterone.

Last edited by CommanderKeen on 09 Jan 2016, 6:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Idealist
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jan 2016, 6:43 am

Jamesy wrote:
Why are men insecure about this?

I already wear a variety of wigs, if I were to suddenly go bald I doubt it would change much.

If anything, depending on the type of baldness, I'd probably be tempted to shave it all off.
It would be interesting to see how people would respond to me as a bald man.

Idealist wrote:
My Autism was cured/treated in late childhood (this makes me a walking, talking, contradiction to 90% of the Forum who all believe Autism is incurable)

Last edited by Idealist on 09 Jan 2016, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 6:47 am

The best thing a bald man can do is start lifting weight. Muscular and bald = masculine, skinny and bald would make a man look weak physically and ill; like if they had cancer.

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 6:55 am

My great-grandfather became almost completely bald in his early 20's. He said it was a blessing because it saved him from the shallow women. :)

Great-grandpa was a very insecure man most of his life, although he was a very smart and talented person. I believe his baldness bothered him too, although from pictures you can see that he had nice features--bald or not, i would consider him to have been a good looking man. Many of his descendants are pretty sure that he was also bipolar--i myself, listening to the stories about him, wouldn't be surprised if he also had aspergers. I only remember him a bit--i was 6 when he died.

My hubby has shaved his head for years even though he had a full head of hair; he occasionally grows his hair out and complains that it itches so he shaves it off again in short order. No skin issues or anything--just doesn't like the feeling of a head of hair. I consider him very handsome with or without hair. :)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

09 Jan 2016, 9:31 pm

I'm losing my hair & I don't like it cuz I miss the feel of hair. My headphones feel different on my head than how they used to. I now have to wear a hat when I go outside so I don't get sun-burnt. I have a patch near the front of my head with a lot less hair & I think that looks bad. I might be more attractive if I was completely bald but I'd have to shave it regularly to keep it bald & that will be a lot more hassle than getting my hair cut a few times a year. I think headphones & things on my head would feel even more different. I'm hoping I can get a hair transplant at some point. If the way I'm losing it keeps up. I may eventually have to start shaving it so my hair doesn't look like a smaller mullet.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

probly.an.aspie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2016, 9:56 pm

nick007 wrote:
I'm losing my hair & I don't like it cuz I miss the feel of hair. My headphones feel different on my head than how they used to. I now have to wear a hat when I go outside so I don't get sun-burnt. I have a patch near the front of my head with a lot less hair & I think that looks bad. I might be more attractive if I was completely bald but I'd have to shave it regularly to keep it bald & that will be a lot more hassle than getting my hair cut a few times a year. I think headphones & things on my head would feel even more different. I'm hoping I can get a hair transplant at some point. If the way I'm losing it keeps up. I may eventually have to start shaving it so my hair doesn't look like a smaller mullet.

If you shave your head and wear a baseball cap outside, watch out for the half-moon sun burn on the back of the head. :) My hubby doesn't fuss with shaving every day--about every 3 days or so. I don't know a lot about hair transplants; i think they sound like more trouble than they are worth since baldness is not entirely unattractive IMHO. :) Sounds easier to shave, to me.

and his pride won't let him
do things to make you think he's right."
-Ed Bruce

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2016, 10:17 am

My head is too big for me to go bald. I dunno....maybe I'll try it when I'm 60.

I've been slightly receding, with a small bald spot on top, since my late 20s. I'm slightly more receding now....but not too much. I started graying 20 years ago. I'm sort of completely gray now.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 4:30 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
My head is too big for me to go bald. I dunno....maybe I'll try it when I'm 60.

I've been slightly receding, with a small bald spot on top, since my late 20s. I'm slightly more receding now....but not too much. I started graying 20 years ago. I'm sort of completely gray now.

Make your shoulders bigger.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2016, 4:23 pm

Probably because for every Captain Picard there are ten Ted Bucklands?

Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 5:48 am

because everything about me looks young except my balding head :|

it shows age and maturity when you're bald, and i'm lacking both of those things

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2016, 8:02 am

My shoulders are big enough; they are broad.