How Best to Tell a Person they are Being Rude

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

rude1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jan 2016, 1:33 pm

GodzillaWoman wrote:
I like Rude1's approach of addressing the behavior instead of saying "you're being rude." I recall from management courses that one should avoid starting criticism with "You" (You're being rude, You're wrong, etc.). "You" statements tend to trigger a defensive, emotional reaction, so the person is more interested in defending themselves than listening to what you have to say. The most important thing is to state the expected behavior in a calm voice.

I try to tell certain NTs around me that and explain how "you" statements upset me but they just say I can't control them/that they'll word it however they want. I guess I'll react however I want then...

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 2:23 pm

I just say "Dude, that's rude."

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

100000fireflies
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 2:46 pm

GodzillaWoman wrote:
I like Rude1's approach of addressing the behavior instead of saying "you're being rude." I recall from management courses that one should avoid starting criticism with "You" (You're being rude, You're wrong, etc.). "You" statements tend to trigger a defensive, emotional reaction, so the person is more interested in defending themselves than listening to what you have to say. The most important thing is to state the expected behavior in a calm voice.

Certainly it's fine for the tutor to talk to him about better ways to behave, if she feels comfortable about it. Otherwise, you may need to talk to him yourself or sit in on a session or two.

Could he need a short break partway through the session? is the length of the tutoring time part of the source of frustration? Or the pace? I tend to get more rude and crabby if I am tired or not feeling well, or if my self esteem is low, or I'm feeling defensive.

Agreed. I think it's the same for most people on the recieving end. You're x! Vs i feel x when you do y . i think you may be feeling/i understand you're z..when that happens though, could you do or tell me q instead?
This of course is not something i could do since i get completely muddled in real time and more so if upset, but if someone said it to me..a redirection, if they were someone helping like a tutor, if not done in a patronizing tone, i think i'd be responsive.

As for the original question, if done well (maybe practice one with the tutor first) it may be better coming from her directly, when it happens in an attempt to redirect behavior in action. Either way, i think what you're doing will be very helpful longterm for this person. kudos for doing so.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 4:17 pm

dmlewis75 wrote:
I work at a public high school for the arts. I have a 16 year old student this year who is autistic. I have him working with a peer tutor in two subjects. Often, when he is working with the tutor, he gets frustrated with the subject and in turn, frustrated with her. He will get somewhat argumentative and exasperated with her. What is the best way to approach this? Today, it happened again and I talked to him about it after she left. He did seem to realize that his behavior was inappropriate and will often apologize to she or I or both. Would it be appropriate to try to get her to let him know when he is behaving rudely? This student is a wonderfully talented visual artist and I truly want him to be successful here and beyond in college and the workplace. However, I am very concerned about how he is coming off to others and fear people in the workplace especially won't be tolerant of this. So, I want to see what I can do while he is here to promote change. I know so much of this is just beyond his control, but I am hopeful that since he often apologizes, that he knows his behavior could improve. Thoughts? Thanks!

You say he apologizes and seems to realize his behavior is inappropriate so I think he probably understands that he is being rude. It sounds to me like this is the wrong person to be tutoring him. Maybe their personalities just don't mesh well together or maybe a peer tutor is not the best choice for an autistic student. I think peer tutoring in general is just awkward. A lot of students feel insecure about needing to be tutored and having a peer do it just makes it feel worse. An older person, and maybe a male tutor, might be a better choice. Autists often get along better with people older or younger rather than people their own age.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 4:22 pm

rude1 wrote:
Another time a man held open the door for me and I hadn't processed what had happened in time to say thank you. He confronted me as if I had purposely done harm to him when really it wasn't.

I think that guy was being rude, not you. People don't always say thank you to having a door held open, that's normal, and if went off on something that insignificant he had a real problem.

GodzillaWoman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 4:32 pm

dianthus wrote:
rude1 wrote:
Another time a man held open the door for me and I hadn't processed what had happened in time to say thank you. He confronted me as if I had purposely done harm to him when really it wasn't.

I think that guy was being rude, not you. People don't always say thank you to having a door held open, that's normal, and if went off on something that insignificant he had a real problem.

I think I read somewhere in Miss Manners' column that it is generally rude to point out another person's rudeness, and even more so if the rudeness was unintentional. Of course, this does not apply with the ASD boy and his tutor, who is being instructed to help tutor him in manners as well as his studies. I've also asked a couple of colleagues to let me know (in private) if I come off as rude or could have handled things better.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 2:17 am

Just do what users on the love&dating forums say to me all the time.

Darkphantomx1 you're a bigoted, woman hating, negative, douchebag!

Actually i'm really not irl. I'm just very impulsive with a keyboard in my hands who happens to be a lonely 21 year old male who just wants a girlfriend.

Why dey hatin on me?
I ain't did nothin to em but count these dollars doing some dishwashing livin the american dream.
like a boss

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 2:33 am

"Feyokien, you go to far!"

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 9:13 am

NERD -- Stop doing that! It's rude! (Optional explanation here. The more he dwells on it, the whinier he'll look to the bully and the more he'll be just asking to be beaten up.)
BULLY -- No, I'm not being rude. (Ominous pause. The nerd wants to retort, but the bully's stern and menacing look makes him think twice.) If I were rude, I'd do this. (Spits into his eye and knocks him to the ground by punching him in the belly.)

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.