Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 12:22 pm

I've probably asked this question on the forums before, but it's been a few years and I'm wondering if there are any other people on this forum who enjoy and are good at acting?

I've loved theatre since I was very small. I've been formally diagnosed with Aspergers but I question the diagnosis a lot, as I'm not sure if it's just the way my bipolar disorder and gender identity disorder interact, or if I'm actually an aspie and the way I was raised/my love for theatre and acting has taught me to blend in.

I was not a good actor as a child. Even now, I'm not great. I'm good enough to get into theatre school, and to get parts in school and community productions. I've been told I have good instincts and some of the things I do naturally make for a good performance. I've come leaps and bounds since transitioning from female to male.

I feel more like I fit as a playwright though. In the past year I've managed to get a couple of productions into theatre festivals. As a writer, it doesn't matter if I'm awkward or if I don't know what to do with my body. It doesn't matter what I look like, how short I am, etc.

But having acting training since I was a teenager has given me a framework inside of which I can socialize. I find it really hard to make friends outside the theatre. My friend group changes depending on which show I'm working on and who else is in it.

Anyone else?

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2016, 12:47 pm

I've enjoyed acting. As I've aged, though, roles have become few and far between. The last one was a Scrooge-like character in a church Christmas play, about two years ago.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 11:04 am

I discovered in Grade 10 that acting was not for me.
^^What does your avatar say? I can't read that small! :lol: One does not simply wear good glasses.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 12:19 pm

It says "One Does Not Simply Adapt Sondheim"... it refers to my wishes to adapt his movie "Evening Primrose" into a full scale stage musical. He would likely say no.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman

AspergersActor8693
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2016, 10:19 pm

See username. :wink:

I'm currently going to University for a BA in theatre. It is my last semester before I graduate and classes start tomorrow. I have been in everything from children's theatre to Shakespeare, and I have even written some of my own stuff, including a one act play. I also would like to write a "one person show" about life as an Aspie. Eventually I would like to get into Film, Television, and Voiceover.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 7:24 am

Yeah, I'm a diagnosed Aspie, and I love acting----I've been an extra in a couple of movies, and I've also had a couple of roles in plays. I would, very much, like to study it, do some more work in it (I'm always reading ads on Craig's List for roles, but they almost always want someone younger), and I'd LOVE to do some voice-over work.