Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jfberge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 7:25 pm

schleppenheimer wrote:
Of course, we have to control the urge to stroke his throat as it goes down the gullet, though . . .

as you clasp his mouth shut with your hand over his nose and chin. That is absurdly funny. :)

SamuraiSaxen
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 7:25 pm

No, I have never had problems with swallowing pills. I began when I was 7.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 8:50 pm

Yes, especially those big pills that look like horse pills. Some of the smaller pills are equally difficult, because they get stuck in my throat and can taste really bitter.

jfberge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2007, 9:04 pm

9CatMom wrote:
Yes, especially those big pills that look like horse pills. Some of the smaller pills are equally difficult, because they get stuck in my throat and can taste really bitter.

MrSinister wrote:
I've got used to doing that, since I have to take 12 of the buggers every day. The tiny ones still give me some trouble, though, since they often don't want to be swallowed and I have to take at least two sips of water to get them down.

Yeah. Big pills present obvious difficulty, but small pills are more subject to the peculiar fluid flow within your swallowing mouth, and it's not unusual for me to swallow a mouthful of water and still end up feeling the bitter nastiness of the pill dissolving on my tongue. More water!

Grim
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Apr 2007, 4:50 am

I am nineteen and can still only swallow very small pills. I have to eat my epilepsy meds. :oops:

RedMage
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 5:27 am

I've had to swallow pills all my life, so I'm used to it now.

darkscorpion
Toucan
Toucan

18 Apr 2007, 5:33 am

from as early as i can remember, i have always swallowed pills without any liquid just pop the dry pill in and down it goes.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

18 Apr 2007, 8:57 pm

I used to think I'd never be able to swallow pills. However, I needed to swallow pills for my anxiety, OCD and depression. I was very scared for awhile, but I've been taking my medicine for two years now and it's not a big deal anymore.

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2007, 6:15 pm

jfberge wrote:
I also hated (and still do) going to the dentist, as he would always make me gag with his tools. I guess I gag very easily. Even when I brush my teeth, when I brush my back, upper molars I'm likely to gag. The gagging isn't unbearable, but it presages vomiting, which I absolutely despise.

Being at the dentist is a nightmare for me, brushing my back teeth risks that lurching pre-puke reflex in my torso, and I'm emetophobic.
Eudevie wrote:
People say I take my pills weird. I take a mouthful of water, swallow HALF of it, tilt my head back, pop the spills in, and swallow the rest.

I do something like this-suspend the pills in the liquid that is sloshing around in my mouth, then swallow it all together, in hopes the pills won't catch on roof of my mouth or stick on a tonsil ! I have hidden a pill in a spoonful of yogurt & that works. Crushing or halving a tablet may work in some cases, but it leaves crumbly unsmoothed edges that seem more apt to be noticed while trying to get them down one's throat. Have read that the impulse to lean one's head back is counterproductive, and that if one's having difficulty, one should lean one's head forward, chin downwards instead of upwards. Not a lot, just a little tilting or leaning-something to do with the anatomy & mechanisms, makes it sound like the Panama Canal-how it's orientation's twisted.
Have much trouble, panic where my throat tightens up & I feel strangled from within, swallowing pills. The larger in size the worse it is. Had liquid meds. when sick as a child or chewed baby aspirins (yummy orange flavored but grainy, powdery texture). Nowadays I have to discuss in detail the dimensions of the pill when it's being prescribed to me-to make sure I don't end up with a bottle of uselessly huge things the size of earplugs. As if !
Coatings on pills are helpful, to mask the bitter taste long enough for one to successfully consume them. Haven't much problem with small ones (size of a watch battery), such as birth control pill or Sudafed's tiny decongestants. Regular aspirin is a challenge. Anything larger (and there are plenty of them, alas) is a disaster.
Aside from this, in general I just don't like taking pills-I smoke & drink, so it's not health reasons. Instinctively & emotionally feels wrong & dangerous for me to take any pill-though I admit I am grateful for having modern medicine when my headache pain is alleviated by one of these.