Just Diagnosed With High Functioning Autism as adult

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

iAndrew
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2016, 6:13 am

Hi everyone.

I'm 31 and have been seeing a psychiatrist for 6 months or so. I was just diagnosed with "high functioning autism" yesterday. The cool thing was that my psychiatrist recognized in in me on numerous occasions. It's not something I had to inquire about. I also have severe ADHD and was just put back on medication for it.

My area of interest or "obsession" for the past 12 years has been religion and spirituality. I've spent so much time in worship/meditation over the years I'd regularly experience mystical things written about by the Christian mystics or Buddhist/Hindu monks. This caused me to be misdiagnosed with bipolar and then "depression with psychotic features." Anyone who pursues meditation or even Christian worship as much as I have is bound to experience altered states of consciousness.

For the past 8 years I've lived rent free with a family member. I've been unable to work because I don't know how to socialize with people and end up getting too frustrated or having panic attacks. I have absolutely no friends and very little family. I'm at the point where I need to get help and figure out how to both work and connect with people socially.

I don't know where to start. I'll be starting one on one therapy soon (with someone who may or may not be experienced in treating high functioning autism). I also go to a group therapy program a couple of days a week.

Can anyone recommend a book or any kind of resource to help me start managing my life? A lot of the literature is on children--it would be nice to find something meant for adults.

Thanks

cmropen
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jan 2016, 9:33 am

Hey iAndrew,

It's great that you have been improving and that you found a psychiatrist you are comfortable working with. Sometimes finding someone who understands how to work with people with ASD is half the battle.

Have you tapped into CHADD yet? They have a lot of resources and support for adults with High Functioning Autism on their site. You may also be able to get in touch with their Chicago chapter to link up with others in your area for support. They can also point you towards good doctors and providers.

Another way to find some support and people to connect with may be Meetup. Try searching for autism groups in your area hosting events. Could be another great way to get advice from others as you work on your goals and finding a job.

Hope this helps. Keep crushing it! :D

-Melody

iAndrew
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Jan 2016, 12:13 pm

Can someone help me figure out if a diagnosis of Asperger's means I do not have a "mental illness?" I always considered myself to have "extreme social phobia" --does aspergers replace this explanation?

I am in a psychiatric out patient program. When I first got here bipolar was suggested by the first psychiatrist I saw. I changed psych's 4 or 5 months ago and she re-diagnosed me with "Depression with psychotic features." The last few times she's seen me she's asked questions in relation to Aspergers (without mentioning it)..asking about social history and eye contact etc. She mentioned Aspergers for the first time when I saw her yesterday and diagnosed me with it. She actually used the phrase "high functioning autism" I think and said the term Aspergers wasn't used anymore. She has a history of working and treating people with this and said she was almost positive I had it. She said it also explained my previous diagnosis and said she didn't believe it fit me anymore.

The most severe issue that has handicapped my life has been what I always thought was "extreme social phobia." I always considered myself as having social phobia and depression. Thats the lens in which I viewed my issues.

Can I now say that I don't have "social phobia" but my social issues are a result of having aspergers?

I'm kind of confused. I'd like to be able to explain my condition accurately. Socially isolating myself is probably what has caused the depression I've had through out my life.

Any ideas?

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 12:21 pm

iAndrew wrote:
Can someone help me figure out if a diagnosis of Asperger's means I do not have a "mental illness?" I always considered myself to have "extreme social phobia" --does aspergers replace this explanation?

I am in a psychiatric out patient program. When I first got here bipolar was suggested by the first psychiatrist I saw. I changed psych's 4 or 5 months ago and she re-diagnosed me with "Depression with psychotic features." The last few times she's seen me she's asked questions in relation to Aspergers (without mentioning it)..asking about social history and eye contact etc. She mentioned Aspergers for the first time when I saw her yesterday and diagnosed me with it. She actually used the phrase "high functioning autism" I think and said the term Aspergers wasn't used anymore. She has a history of working and treating people with this and said she was almost positive I had it. She said it also explained my previous diagnosis and said she didn't believe it fit me anymore.

The most severe issue that has handicapped my life has been what I always thought was "extreme social phobia." I always considered myself as having social phobia and depression. Thats the lens in which I viewed my issues.

Can I now say that I don't have "social phobia" but my social issues are a result of having aspergers?

I'm kind of confused. I'd like to be able to explain my condition accurately. Socially isolating myself is probably what has caused the depression I've had through out my life.

Any ideas?

I was previously diagnosed with depression (no less than five times between ages 15 and 20 years) which I disagreed with and now believe was the closest diagnosis available to my clinicians at the time in the 1970s and 1980s. More recently, I was diagnosed with Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GAD) and Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD). When I was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder in August 2015, my diagnosticians took some time to consider whether my routines were part of the ASD or part of the GAD and OCPD. They settled on ASD as the culprit.

So, yes, some disorders can be caused by ASD or by other co-morbids.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Jan 2016, 1:36 pm

Hi Andrew,

I found this book really helpful:

I too got diagnosed as an adult quite recently.

Jo

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 2:52 pm

Tony Attwood is considered THE authority on Asperger's.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 3:49 pm

First of all - welcome. You're in good company.

Tony Attwood has a lot of great stuff on Asperger's in adults, much can be downloaded for free - just Google.

You'll find a lot of good info here on WP as well. And lots of great people here just like you to talk about Asperger's with.

:D

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jan 2016, 3:59 pm

Hi Andrew, welcome to WP. Concerning your question about the social phobia, it is possible to have it and AS simultaneously. AS just means having poor social skills, but social phobia is a specific fear of social situations, which not all autistics have. I would talk to your psychiatrist and see if a dual diagnosis of SAD (social anxiety disorder) and ASD would explain your symptoms. I am anxious around other people, but it doesn't impact me enough to be diagnosable as SAD.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!