Is there hope or should I just give up?

Page 2 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2016, 3:34 am

Marknis wrote:
@Sweetleaf:

I know it won't fix everything in my life since even my older cousin and his girlfriend have tiffs every now and then but atleast I'd feel less lonely and I would have someone special to share things with. I do realize my depression does need to be managed but I wish I had more positive vibes in my life. Most people I know or encounter in public are very negative and stuck in future thought mode.

If you were asking about people expressing interest in me if I wore a t-shirt, I would sometimes get told 'Cool shirt' but it never led to a date or anything. When I would ask or look up dating advice, clothing style was often brought up. Some as*hole told me to 'clean yourself up' and posted links to men's polo and button up shirts. Someone was also telling aspie guys to dress up more fashionably and blah blah blah. My mother also would make me wear button up shirts to work because she was so paranoid I would get judged by my fashion style (Just simply t-shirts and jeans). I had a co-worker who wore heavy metal t-shirts and grew his hair long who was well liked and advanced to other positions at that job. Me? I got bitched at for stupid things and I am still in the same position I've had for almost ten years now. I realized how wrong my mom was and I now wear whatever I want for my own reasons.

The exercise thing came from being shamed by my mother for being overweight (She's really judgemental) and dating advice that was actually punishment in disguise. I also live in the Bible Belt and men are expected to be iron pumping jerks or they are not 'real men'. The culture here is very mentally unstable.

I agree that church and bible study were dead ends for me. The people there tend to already have company with them and I was again forced by my mother to go. I did grew up going to church (I live in the Bible Belt after all) but my faith fell apart when the depression really kicked in. The guys in the Bible Study I couldn't connect with because all they cared about was sports and there were hardly any girls in the group. I didn't fit in at college either but it's a long story and it brings up a lot of painful memories so I don't want to go there. I also find it hard finding others with similar interests because most of the culture in the Bible Belt revolves around football fanaticism, country music, hardcore drinking, hardcore smoking, reckless driving, and being a jerk in general. I am the complete opposite of those things. I tried dating websites but I never got any messages.

Oh damn, living in the bible belt certainly cant be helpful that is a tough demographic I sure as hell wouldn't fit in. Still though not impossible, there could be a few females here and there feeling similar to you about that culture. Maybe looking to move somewhere else eventually that's not so bible belty would be a good idea but I know everyone can't just easily pack up and move.

Also with the dating websites did you send messeges? it helps to send initial messages and sometimes change bits of your profile if you see improvements on it you can make. Also though it can take a while to really start talking to anyone on those sites...especially if there's a specific demographic in the area that's the majority and you don't fit in with that. In more diverse areas I think dating sites work a little better just because of more different kinds of people...but in areas with a more specific demographic like the bible belt having a dating profile will also show any females who also don't fit in that they aren't alone in that.

Also keep in mind a lot of people have financial struggles, overbearing parents or other family issues and still can get relationships. I mean at times I've made the mistake of thinking adults must have it all together, free of any parent drama/issues but that's not true at all a lot of peoples parents still try to interfere a lot even after you grow up.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2016, 8:12 pm

My term for the Bible Belt is 'Vile Belt'. It is truly vile living here on so many levels. The air stinks from people constantly speeding their vehicles everywhere, littering is rampant, roadkill is common, Wal-Mart is considered Shangri-La, rock music of any sort is 'devil's music' but country music is God's gift to man, gays are considered sub-human animals that need to be destroyed despite proclaiming how peaceful and loving Christianity is, evolution is just a "feery", and football is God's other gift to man (In fact, I see more people get excited about the weekend football game than they are about going to church).

I did send messages, especially at ones where the girls listed common interests, but I never got a single response from them.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 1:31 am

There's no hope for me but maybe there is for you.

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:46 am

sly279 wrote:

What makes you say that?

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 11:58 am

There's hope for everyone! Here, have a kitty: Image

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 7:35 pm

Some have told me I need to see the bigger picture when it comes to dating but they never explained it to me and I couldn't find an explanation on Google or anywhere else. Can someone help me out with that?

Kuraudo777 wrote:
There's hope for everyone! Here, have a kitty: Image

Can I take them all? :oops:

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 9:04 pm

Marknis wrote:
Some have told me I need to see the bigger picture when it comes to dating but they never explained it to me and I couldn't find an explanation on Google or anywhere else. Can someone help me out with that?

My own thoughts on that:

Having a significant other is nice, but there are a lot of other important things in life. You need to keep those in mind too and focus on the ones that are achievable right now. You also need to consider what you do have already!

Anyway, it sounds like you're not in a good environment right now. Maybe you should make getting out of there your goal. What's in the way of doing this, exactly?

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 12:20 am

AJisHere wrote:
Marknis wrote:

My own thoughts on that:

Having a significant other is nice, but there are a lot of other important things in life. You need to keep those in mind too and focus on the ones that are achievable right now. You also need to consider what you do have already!

Anyway, it sounds like you're not in a good environment right now. Maybe you should make getting out of there your goal. What's in the way of doing this, exactly?

I'm lacking in finances, I don't have a degree for a better job nor do I have any job training, and my parents are overprotective even though I am 27.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 2:08 am

Marknis wrote:
sly279 wrote:

What makes you say that?

I have too many huge negatives.
Like debt and no good paying job. The debt will take 20-50 years to be gone. It doesn't matter. Nothing does.
Thanks people of wp for making me realize how truly hopeless it is.

Kuraudo777
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 8:22 pm

^Hope is good, because without it everyone would just give up. Hope, to me, seems much better than the alternative, so I keep going.

A memory is something that has to be consciously recalled, right? That's why sometimes it can be mistaken and a different thing. But it's different from a memory locked deep within your heart. Words aren't the only way to tell someone how you feel.” Tifa Lockheart, Final Fantasy VII

Derek281
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Feb 2016, 10:21 pm

I am a happy strip club VIP.

I never met the one but married a Trophy wife when young. I learned about AS not long ago and it explains many things.

Perhaps a move to a large city like LA and u could get on sone dating site like Harmony. Your still young and know what your up against. When I was young never had a clue.....

I would keep the AS thing private and not discuss w dates. Women seek men who are confident and successful - project that (or learn to emulate)and things should improve.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2016, 10:38 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Also keep in mind a lot of people have financial struggles, overbearing parents or other family issues and still can get relationships. I mean at times I've made the mistake of thinking adults must have it all together, free of any parent drama/issues but that's not true at all a lot of peoples parents still try to interfere a lot even after you grow up.

THIS. My dad's been trying to wrestle my entire I.T. business & tool set from me for years now. There's no real point trying to fight it, instead I've just asked to be paid whatever he owes for outstanding demands, equipment expenses & the like. Parents can be so irrationally burdensome that they'll actually steal to protect their powers of influence - sometimes there's nothing for it but to walk away & make them think in the process.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

03 Feb 2016, 12:12 am

Marknis wrote:
I'm lacking in finances, I don't have a degree for a better job nor do I have any job training, and my parents are overprotective even though I am 27.

None of these are insurmountable problems. That's the important thing to remember. They are not small problems and may in fact seem huge, but they can be solved.

It sounds like you are currently employed, so you can start saving your money and looking at what you'd need to move somewhere else. Put together a budget and stick to it, setting aside what you can with each paycheck. If you work for a company that has locations elsewhere, you may be able to transfer there (you still in Texas? Check out Austin... quirky, weird place... probably a lot more autism-friendly). Yes, parents can be overprotective... but you're your own man and if you can put yourself in a position where you do not require their help they can't stop you from doing what you wish.

I'm making it sound easy. It very likely isn't, but don't trick yourself into thinking this is impossible. If you can't get what you need where you are now, it may be a good option.

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername
Raven
Raven

04 Feb 2016, 12:54 am

I'll just leave this here...

Marknis
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 2:44 pm

AJisHere wrote:
Marknis wrote:

None of these are insurmountable problems. That's the important thing to remember. They are not small problems and may in fact seem huge, but they can be solved.

It sounds like you are currently employed, so you can start saving your money and looking at what you'd need to move somewhere else. Put together a budget and stick to it, setting aside what you can with each paycheck. If you work for a company that has locations elsewhere, you may be able to transfer there (you still in Texas? Check out Austin... quirky, weird place... probably a lot more autism-friendly). Yes, parents can be overprotective... but you're your own man and if you can put yourself in a position where you do not require their help they can't stop you from doing what you wish.

I'm making it sound easy. It very likely isn't, but don't trick yourself into thinking this is impossible. If you can't get what you need where you are now, it may be a good option.

Oh, I love Austin. If I could choose any place on the planet to live, it would be there.

When my depression was really kicking in was also when I first learned about AS. Unfortunately, it didn't help much. I read so many stories from guys older than me who said they still didn't have a girlfriend and were still isolated from society. With each passing year, those fears seem to become truer. I sometimes get scared there are no single girls left because I've fallen behind so far.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

08 Feb 2016, 11:08 pm

Marknis wrote:
When my depression was really kicking in was also when I first learned about AS. Unfortunately, it didn't help much. I read so many stories from guys older than me who said they still didn't have a girlfriend and were still isolated from society. With each passing year, those fears seem to become truer. I sometimes get scared there are no single girls left because I've fallen behind so far.

How can you have fallen behind? You're on nobody's clock but your own. It's really important to realize these things. Your ability to get into a relationship does not have a shelf life. When you are ready for it, people will be there.