Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2016, 7:49 pm

Some of you may have seen a news story about someone throwing tomatoes at Trump. I went to high school with this person and I disagree with what he did. I thought I made a real assertion using solid references that doesn't take sides but defends the first amendment. But everyone is more busy praising him than pointing out the issue and why it was wrong despite what Trump says. I feel like I could quote a lot of other Liberal thinkers like Noam Chomsky defending free speech and I still would get snuffed as Trump supporter which I am not. I don't believe throwing things at other people like a cafeteria food fight is free speech. : This is my post I made on Facebook:

" As much as I believe Trump deserves more than a mouth full of tomato sauce. Here is the problem I see: This only reinforces the paranoia amongst his supporters that already exists. They are already believe a narrative of persecution just like Cruz supporters. This doesn't change hearts and minds, its not an appeal to reason at all.

How to fight an idea? Not with tomatoes, you fight an idea with another idea. With words. Nobody who believes in spirit of the First Amendment throws vegetables or anything else because they disagree with what others say. What's next after tomatoes? Cantaloupe , plantains, baseballs? When does the infantile food fight stop and the grown up discussion begin?

As Justic Steven Bryer wrote in his opinoin concerning the matter of the First Amendment in the Phelps Vs. Snyder case:
Justice Steve Bryer : "The constitutionally protected nature... would not shield... use of unlawful, unprotected means.. Chief Justice Roberts: "Indeed, “the point of all speech protection . . . is to shield just those choices of content that in someone’s eyes are misguided, or even hurtful..... Such a risk is unacceptable; “in public debate [we] must tolerate insulting, and even outrageous, speech in order to provide adequate ‘breathing space’ to the freedoms protected by the First Amendment..... Speech is powerful. It can stir people to action, move
them to tears of both joy and sorrow, and—as it did here— inflict great pain. On the facts before us, we cannot react to that pain by punishing the speaker. As a Nation we have chosen a different course—to protect even hurtful
speech on public issues to ensure that we do not stifle public debate."

This is the Snyder Vs. Phelps SCOTUS opinion. Bear in mind this is the same Supreme Court that legalized Gay marriage and Obama Care, so don't write it off. Does A's First Amendment to civil disobedience give him the right to throw peanuts at someone who is deathly allergic to them and declare it as such? A has done nothing meaningful, he has debased the whole principle of free speech and liberty into something juvenile. This in my opinion is more un-american than Trump. Trump at the very least so passionately believes in the First Amendment he will say whatever. As disagreeable as it is, it is still a peaceful exercise of the First Amendment. If this is lauded and celebrated behavior like something on Jersey Shore, then I truly fear for my country."

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 8:20 pm

Reason is irrelevant once people take sides. Then it's all about backing their hero, no matter how stupid he is.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2016, 8:25 pm

Fnord wrote:
Reason is irrelevant once people take sides. Then it's all about backing their hero, no matter how stupid he is.

oh yeah, I forgot stupid me" LoL. But there is nothing in this post that is too off putting, or confrontational?

Mitrovah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jan 2016, 8:30 pm

Then I preceded to waste time arguing with someone over my post:

Person:
This is cute. It's like you think everyone has the equal right to free speech, and not like the entire justice system is rigged to be favorable to rich white men who have the power and wealth to ensure racism and hatred continue to dominate the American judicial system! Oh how I wish that were true. Unfortunately because of people like trump we continue to have inequitable right to free speech in this country. Once again, bravo A. That s**t was funny

Me: Of course I believe in Free Speech. Who doesn't? That's your argument? A Liberal conspiracy stump speech? Go back to high school and retake your civics class. Free speech makes issues like racism and corruption impossible to go unabated, it makes it possible for the issue to be debated and confronted. I have only exercised an opinion. All you are doing is throwing accusations without any footnotes or references. I prefer to backup with what I say with references, just like I had to in high school and college when writing my papers. Its people who start with tomatoes and then turn to real violence that give dictator's the excuse to silence protest and take away people's liberties. Just like now.

Person: I read what you said and saw your adorable little sources. I thought it was cute. I thought A's gesture was funny and understand that he'll probably have some fines to pay for throwing that tomato at Trump. I look forward to contributing to the go fund me campaign. Because when you break the law you have to give the government money, you know, the justice system. We got to keep these people under control!! !

Me: Your just spouting things like a parrot, you haven't really thought through any of the ideas you've heard. You subscribe to them because you prefer to be "in" with the Hippie Liberal crowd. You are no different than a Trump or Cruz supporter who believes whatever is said on FOX news channel.

Person: Prove it!

Me: I really don't need to, your replies have done that already.

Person: Spoken like a true Trump supporter

You can imagine the confused look on my face.

Feyokien
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 8:37 pm

Fnord wrote:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 9:47 pm

Mitrovah wrote:
Fnord wrote:
oh yeah, I forgot stupid me" LoL. But there is nothing in this post that is too off putting, or confrontational?
Sorry 'bout that. I was trying to keep it short and simple while cooking supper.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jan 2016, 9:56 pm

People are stupid and closed-minded. That's all you need to know. People believe what they want to believe regardless of facts.

You disagreed with them. So whether or not it makes sense is irrelevant. They don't care. That's the way most people are.

There was nothing wrong with your post that I could see. However, I couldn't care less about politics because I think only the a**holes have a shot at winning. And both sides basically are full of extremists. So I'm not super-knowledgeable on the subject.

JoeyFlash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

28 Jan 2016, 1:10 am

I think my Twinsie (My very Close friend Lily) shared a video anti Trump group at a Trump Rally like that. She is Pro-Bernie Sanders, and I am Pro-Ted Cruz. I commented "I'm not a Trump supporter, but why do people feel the need to go out of their way to be total butt-holes towards people who think different from them?".

I just don't get why people have to get so obnoxious and ignorant towards anybody who disagrees with them. Especially when people resort to Petty Name-Calling. Sometimes I think about the Allies and Germans during the Great War and their Christmas Truce. I just wish that all people with different kinds of ideals and beliefs could come out from the Trenches and be able to laugh and share stories together. We shouldn't be dividing ourselves over separate beliefs. Hell Why can't we all have a Barbecue or something? If you prefer Vegan or Vegetarian, Coolness. put it on one of the smaller grills. Maybe shoot some rifles or something (would depend on who's mentally mature enough of course). Or maybe play some Poker or something...

Who's there?

Matthew.

Matthew who?

Math you couldn't do unless you had an IQ of 184.