Do others here have an unusual taste in music?

Page 6 of 8 [ 116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 6:00 pm

I think I've worked out one definition of unusual that applies to a lot of us. Many, many of us like a variety of musical styles such that others find it strange to know that one person would like those different things. How many people have we known who always seem to listen to the same musical style, all the time? I've never understood it. Every time I hear that bleeping, blaring south-of-the-border polka music blaring I am baffled anew. It all sounds the same! And so it is with a lot of styles.

I have also noticed that we really do have a lot of peole here who like musicians that seem unusual to like merely because we hardly find anyone else from day to day who likes what we like. Like. So it makes sense to ask, to find others who share our tastes. Y'see, if you're different from other people, and your music is different from their music, after a time you begin to wonder if there's a connection. You ask yourself if it's an Aspie thing.

This in answer to the brief dispute earlier about unusual musical tastes.

Kilroy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2007, 6:54 pm

I think I do...seeing as most of the bands I like were made long before I was born

300series
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2017, 1:45 pm

My taste in music is somewhat unusual. I like a lot of older music; I am not really fond of any new popular music. I collect a lot of old vinyl records, and I always buy a new one every Friday at a store that i like to visit.

I like a lot of classical music by composers like Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, Verdi, Grieg, Schubert, Corelli, Vivaldi, Tchaikovsky, Haydn, Handel, Rachmaninoff, Stravinsky, and Brahms.

Elton John & Michael Jackson are my favourite popular singers. I have almost every album they ever released. I went to see Elton John in concert with my mother when he came to San Diego back in the Summer of 1998, when I was 13 years old. My mother & I used to listen to both of them all the time when I was a child, and I knew every song by both of them.

My mother used to play a lot of other music too. We also used to listen to The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Rolling Stones, Queen, Phil Collins, Genesis, Madonna, Pat Benetar, George Michael, Jethro Tull, Diana Ross & The Supremes, Barbra Streisand, Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Robert Palmer, and Taco Ockerse. I still listen to all of them today. I think most of my musical preferences came from my mother; we also shared a lot of other tastes.

PatmanC2000
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Aug 2017, 10:12 pm

I tend to prefer pop, hip-hop, and metal over other genres.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 6:45 pm

I don't have a very mainstream taste in music, after all I am a metalhead so I listen to tons of metal though my music taste is not limited to only metal there's other stuff I like to. I don't think its particularly unusual, but it could be to people who don't like metal or just listen to music for background noise but aren't really into it.

BettaPonic
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2017, 7:55 pm

Rucks Rucka Ali, he is not PC in any sense.

LegoMaster2149
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2017, 5:39 pm

I usually listen to 70s 80s 90s electronic/70s 80s 90s non electronic music. Some genres from those eras I like are disco, hip hop (old school), acid house, house, techno, breakbeat, electro, drum and bass, funk... I could go on!

Zaarin
Raven
Raven

13 Aug 2017, 9:29 pm

My tastes are eclectic, ranking from 30s/40s/50s jazz (modern jazz is mostly crap) to classical to synth-laden soundtrack, but chiefly I'm into acoustic singer/songwriter, Americana, and indie folk--you know, hipster stuff (though I don't really think of myself as a hipster, despite also drinking expensive coffee...).

--"Galadriel's Song of Eldamar"

JohnnyLurg
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2017, 5:06 pm

I can't think of any artists I listen to who are any more "unusual" than Captain Beefheart, who a lot of people listen to regardless of neurotype so I'm not special.

Voxish
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Aug 2017, 12:47 pm

Well I am a massive fan of The Fall, Captain Beefheart and Throbbing Gristle...and they don't get more unusual than that lot.

BBC: Radio 4

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2017, 3:41 pm

My taste in music is varied.Varied and unusual are two very different descriptions. I've been getting a lot of crap about the music I enjoy for ages.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

CJPotter817
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

18 Aug 2017, 4:29 pm

Hello,

I like the string quartets of W.A. Mozart. Especially the darker tones.

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2017, 4:37 pm

Annette Hanshaw, 1933:

SnailHail
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 Aug 2017, 7:14 pm

JohnnyLurg wrote:
I can't think of any artists I listen to who are any more "unusual" than Captain Beefheart, who a lot of people listen to regardless of neurotype so I'm not special.

lol bands like Captain Beefheart and Neutral Milk Hotel nowadays are minimum requirements for anyone trying to be a hipster or a music elitist.

ManaLDN
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Aug 2017, 5:36 pm

I normally listen to metal or some kind of rock. I'm into Japanese visual kei bands, such as The Gazette, Dir en Grey (Gauze till Uroboros) or SuG. More of it though. The "western" list includes Dragonforce, Avenged Sevenfold, Aria, and Myrath as the bands I listen to most often.

An unusual thing about it is that I do not really like when the entire song is growled, so don't listen to genres such as black metal. But I like electronic music from 80s and 90s, and some popular tunes from 2000s. Mostly Tokio Hotel, but there were also songs of Black Eyed Peas, for example.

Even better - I listen to a lot of contemporary Bollywood songs. There are YouTube playlists filled with them and I just play that to listen. Not sure about the composers, but I'm afraid it's become easier for me to recognise a Bollywood actor than a Hollywood one.

Is there anyone else who likes some Indian music? Quote or PM please

will@rd
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2017, 6:24 pm

Kate Bush, Get Out of My House, from the lp 'The Dreaming,' 1982.