Agnostic (straddling the fence) 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Agnostic atheist 32%  32%  [ 8 ]
Atheist 16%  16%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 25

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 2:58 pm

Agnostic atheist, but I'm not a dick about it.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 5:21 pm

I am Catholic, but whenever I see a "street preacher" wherever I am, I get so annoyed because IMO, such people obsessively think of themselves as a disciple of Jesus.

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 8:49 pm

Growing up, I didn't have a particularly religious family (more the cultural hangover of Christianity, rather than a strongly held belief), but Christianity was in the air (at primary school, up to age 11, we sang hymns every morning and often had a bible lesson, too), and I sort of assumed it was probably true, and didn't pay much mind to it beyond that.

When I was about 12 or so I was walking along, and my mind turned to it, and I realised I didn't believe in God. I'm agnostic and fairly apathetic about it - it's not something I give much thought to. In practical terms, I'm an atheist.

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

SonicMisaki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 9:06 pm

I was born Roman Catholic, but the truth about the loonies in religion-land has taught me otherwise. :lol:

Nowadays, I prefer not to take religious discussions too seriously, lest there be crap-storms in my near future.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 9:42 pm

It is a well known saying that religion and the weather are topics one should not initiate in bar settings.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:12 pm

Quote:
It is a well known saying that religion and the weather are topics one should not initiate in bar settings.

I thought that was religion and politics. What's wrong with the weather?

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:23 pm

Hermetic just because it's the closest thing to describing the subjective motif of what I'm approaching. Universally/objectively - I tend to have a tough time telling whether I just believe in panentheistic monism with a rigidly lawful physical universe or reductive materialism with a sea of unseen subconscious mechanics that rule our lives way out in front of us. The two look so similar that every new detail I understand seems to bump me slightly from one side to the other and back. Curiosity's a birch like that I guess.

The good thing, or bad depending on what level of involvement you want, Hermeticism's highly active. If you get into it you've got both a faith and a hobby that's nearly inexhaustible. You could think of it like a non-digital Greco-Egyptian version of BrainGames meets paganism.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:38 pm

Hopper wrote:
Growing up, I didn't have a particularly religious family (more the cultural hangover of Christianity, rather than a strongly held belief), but Christianity was in the air (at primary school, up to age 11, we sang hymns every morning and often had a bible lesson, too), and I sort of assumed it was probably true, and didn't pay much mind to it beyond that.

When I was about 12 or so I was walking along, and my mind turned to it, and I realised I didn't believe in God. I'm agnostic and fairly apathetic about it - it's not something I give much thought to. In practical terms, I'm an atheist.

It was that way in my household growing up, too. We went to church and said a very quick grace before dinner but that was pretty much it. There was no real faith as a family and we didn't even own a bible. We just went through the motions or as you put it "cultural hangover". The faith I have now and had back then I got from going to sunday school and church, and from my grandparents.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2016, 10:43 pm

i'm not religious in the least but I aspire to become more and more spiritual. there IS a difference. :idea: I look forward to heaven :bounce:
my parents were agnostic, informally. but on their deathbeds I had to encourage a belief in heaven with them both.