Page 4 of 7 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 9:54 am

Deltaville wrote:
cberg wrote:
Phenomena portraying absolute series strikes me as the computational singularity, anything can be in-vivo vivisected to Planck depth provided the scientists with the funding manage to stay there rather than using all that same equipment for cryptographic brute-force exploits. Are we examining the sum wave state of Zeno & Euclid?

Planck's length is only relevant if you only wish to discuss quantum foam. This was my specialty when I did physics, it is irrelevant to this problem, as a real number can get much smaller than Planck's length.

Actually, strings are even more elementary than quantum mechanics.

But we are talking about a real frog, not a real number, no?

A real frog cannot make a jump smaller than the Plank length, can it?

I thought Rudin's answer was correct in anything but a question about an unreal frog and you need only apply the same rules that are used for unicorns in such cases.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

29 Feb 2016, 10:57 am

Adamantium wrote:
A real frog cannot make a jump smaller than the Plank length, can it?

I thought Rudin's answer was correct in anything but a question about an unreal frog and you need only apply the same rules that are used for unicorns in such cases.

If you treat it philosophically, it can be virgin unicorns. Everything has a half distance philosophically. In reality, nothing can be smaller than itself. So, Plank lengths do not apply to anything in reality as far as this question goes.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 7:05 pm

zkydz wrote:
In reality, nothing can be smaller than itself.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

How is this peculiar and highly questionable statement relevant?

I'm guessing the limiting factor in frog jumps has to do with frog motor neurons and muscles. I suspect there is a minimum muscle twitch size that can move the body of a frog in a way that fits the general concept "jump" and that motion is on a much, much bigger scale than Planck lengths....

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 7:24 pm

A frog jumping is just a metaphor. And a good one to quickly visualize the set up the problem. But once your imaginary frog starts getting down to smaller than millimeter distances you dispense with the frog in your mind's eye and think of it as a black dot jumping forward on graph paper eternally halving its distance to the edge of the page, and for the squares on the graph paper representing ever smaller units of measurement.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2016, 8:37 pm

Adamantium wrote:
zkydz wrote:
In reality, nothing can be smaller than itself.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

How is this peculiar and highly questionable statement relevant?

I'm guessing the limiting factor in frog jumps has to do with frog motor neurons and muscles. I suspect there is a minimum muscle twitch size that can move the body of a frog in a way that fits the general concept "jump" and that motion is on a much, much bigger scale than Planck lengths....
The relevance is that you are trying to make a statement based on a 'fact' the plank length. That would be reality based. Therefore the frog cannot be smaller than itself in the movement scale required to satisfy the reality based concept.

However, as a philosophical construct, there will always be a half distance. The frog is irrelevant other than an object that people can grasp. Could be a Tse Tse fly trying to bite people.....or a carnivorous molecule.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2016, 7:17 pm

Deltaville wrote:
Ever heard of this problem?

Let us a assume a frog jumps half a distance to it's destination. Therefore, its jumps would account as: 1/2 the distance + 1/4 the distance + 1/8 the distance and so forth.

Essentially, 1/2n

Would it ever reach its destination? Well I have computed that formula numerous amount of time and mathematically, it always results as impossible to reach.

Or perhaps not...

Some theoretical mathematicians have argued theoretically, after a googleplex of times, the destination would be reach as the resulting step is a positive integer. Infinitely small, yes, but nevertheless a positive integer.

Do the same laws of mathematics still apply when one reaches an enormous, unfathomable value?

Please discuss.

Look up Series and Convergence on wikipedia. Sum of 1/2^n from n = 1 to infinity is 1.

Catinator
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Mar 2016, 1:05 pm

I don't think it would. If it is going 1/2 of the speed it previously went, it would gradually narrow down. 1/2, 1/4, ect, until is wouldn't be able to make a significant difference, and would just look as if it was standing still.

SippingSpiderVenom
Raven
Raven

30 Mar 2016, 11:24 pm

How much pi do you need? Is related.

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/how-much-pi-do-you-need/

I think the answer is yes, if you'll grant me a little snark.

Whole numbers are only a very gross grasp on the real world, transcendental measurements are all that exist in the real world, there is never a 50% reduction in distance in the physical world that is known. Therefore the modeling system is "too clean" to provide an accurate description. This allows our imaginary frog to behave exactly as we see fit.

You might put the frog inside a black hole, where he is to escape from, with the desperate and sad effect that he can only approach the event horizon yet never reach it. This of course assumes that a frog inside of black hole is still a frog and is capable of moving toward a goal.

:D

"If I knew that it was fated for me to be sick, I would even wish for it; for the foot also, if it had intelligence, would volunteer to get muddy." - Chrysippus

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2016, 6:45 pm

I think the OP may have been thinking along the lines that the entity doing the "jumping" (frog, nanorobot, or bacterium, or whatever) would make random errors in calculating its jumps. Further-that that randomness itself can be quantified.

Kinda like the concept of "standard deviation" (the average that student scores on a test deviate from the mean of all the scores).

A perfect Euclidean frog would NEVER reach the opposite wall.

But our imperfect frog (with its quantified amount of imperfection)halves its distance with each jump, but it makes some average error in making these "halved" distances. And that these errors can be graphed in some way to allow you to predict when the "frog" actually does hit the wall due to these errors.

Lets say that the frog is off by an average of one percent each jump, and that that amount of error can be either direction.

Not sure how it would work, but maybe you could graph (or calculate with an equation) when a frog of say five percent average deviation would hit the wall....as a opposed to a later model frog with a more accurate one percent average deviation. That is- how many jumps it would take for a frog of given jump accuracy ability to reach the opposite wall.

SippingSpiderVenom
Raven
Raven

31 Mar 2016, 10:36 pm

Our frog is what happens when an unstoppable frog and an immovable frog have babies.

"If I knew that it was fated for me to be sick, I would even wish for it; for the foot also, if it had intelligence, would volunteer to get muddy." - Chrysippus

b9
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2016, 3:09 am

i think if there is a paradox associated with the OP, it would be that something can be moving with a positive velocity forever without ever covering a finite distance.

it stems from the illusory notion that reality can be quantified.
for example, there is the notion of the "point". if a point has no dimensions, then the "next" or "adjacent" point to it in a theoretical line is zero distance away from it, therefore it is the same point. there fore all points in a line are the same point, and therefore a theoretical line is an impossibility.
yet the notion of a line is fundamental to the notion of a plane which is fundamental to the notion of volume or space, so everything is an illusion since all the points that comprise it do not exist in reality.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2016, 9:49 am

SippingSpiderVenom wrote:
Our frog is what happens when an unstoppable frog and an immovable frog have babies.

If an unstoppable frog meets an immovable frog they both end up getting toad away!

Manolito_Mystiq
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Apr 2016, 8:13 pm

S = 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/32 + 1/64 + 1/128 + 1/256 + . . .
2S = 2 x (1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/32 + 1/64 + 1/128 + 1/256 + . . . )
2S = 2/2 + 2/4 + 2/8 + 2/16 + 2/32 + 2/64 + 2/128 + 2/256 + . . .
2S = 1 + 1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/32 + 1/64 + 1/128 + 1/256 + . . .
2S = 1 + S
S = 1

1/2 + 1/4 + 1/8 + 1/16 + 1/32 + 1/64 + 1/128 + 1/256 + . . . = 1

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 12:37 pm

If each jump takes constant time, then not taking the Planck Length into account, it would take infinite time.

However, the OP's statement of the problem is highly flawed in that it introduces a step that takes real time and thus misses the point of the so-called paradox.

For a clearer presentation, consider the classic example of an arrow flying at a target. It covers half the distance in half the time, then a quarter of the distance in a quarter of the time, then an eighth of the distance in an eighth of the time, and so on.

Some who have little understanding of math see this as meaning it never gets to the target. In reality, the arrow maintains its velocity (in real life it will lose a little due to drag) and will hit the target right on time.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2016, 1:05 pm

Jono wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
Ever heard of this problem?

Let us a assume a frog jumps half a distance to it's destination. Therefore, its jumps would account as: 1/2 the distance + 1/4 the distance + 1/8 the distance and so forth.

Essentially, 1/2n

Would it ever reach its destination? Well I have computed that formula numerous amount of time and mathematically, it always results as impossible to reach.

Or perhaps not...

Some theoretical mathematicians have argued theoretically, after a googleplex of times, the destination would be reach as the resulting step is a positive integer. Infinitely small, yes, but nevertheless a positive integer.

Do the same laws of mathematics still apply when one reaches an enormous, unfathomable value?

Please discuss.

This is the classic Xeno Paradox. Yes, the rules of mathematics still apply if you introduce the idea of limits.

Actually, it's not Xeno's Paradox because the frog makes discrete hops. By their very nature, each hop takes time and it takes infinite time to take infinitely many hops. If you measure the velocity of travel of the frog, it is constantly decreasing with a limit of zero.

In Xeno's Paradox, the frog would have to maintain a constant velocity which it cannot do with infinitely many hops.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2016, 2:40 pm

eric76 wrote:
If each jump takes constant time, then not taking the Planck Length into account, it would take infinite time.

However, the OP's statement of the problem is highly flawed in that it introduces a step that takes real time and thus misses the point of the so-called paradox.

For a clearer presentation, consider the classic example of an arrow flying at a target. It covers half the distance in half the time, then a quarter of the distance in a quarter of the time, then an eighth of the distance in an eighth of the time, and so on.

Some who have little understanding of math see this as meaning it never gets to the target. In reality, the arrow maintains its velocity (in real life it will lose a little due to drag) and will hit the target right on time.

I think may not have written the problem down correctly, however I have recently discovered that many mathematicians have conjectured that when a complex number axiom is introduced near an infinitesimally close posture to '1', '1' may indeed be reached if mathematical gymnastics and pseudo-rimannian series are introduced.

That is the kind of 'food-for-thought' I attempted to introduce.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck