Why is it bipolar can join military but aspies can't?

Page 3 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 8:44 am

I know he went through Basic, then went to AIT. I'm not sure how long he was in the "full" army. I know he's in the Reserves now. He's close to 40.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 3:33 pm

My bio mom joined the Army when she was around 33.She's an exceptional strong and mean individual so she did fine.
Later on she became a CO at the men's max units here.
She told me some crazy stories about leave.She went with friends to NOLA to party and they got smashed and rolled a drunk.Someone must have gotten to him first becuse he didn't have any valuables on him.Then they got tattoos and painted the town red.When they got up to catch the flight next morning there was a strange boot in the hotel room that didn't belong to any of them and no one knew where it came from.
Lord only knows what went on that night.

I though you could buy beer on base if you were eighteen and enlisted?A boy I was dating was sent on a beer run and he returned with the goods.Maybe he just had someone older purchase it.It was hillarious,we had all pooled our change and sent him to get the cheapest beer.It was the generic stuff, a white can with the words BEER on it.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 4:43 pm

Misslizard wrote:
I though you could buy beer on base if you were eighteen and enlisted?A boy I was dating was sent on a beer run and he returned with the goods.Maybe he just had someone older purchase it.It was hillarious,we had all pooled our change and sent him to get the cheapest beer.It was the generic stuff, a white can with the words BEER on it.

Things have changed since WW1. It's 21 to buy booze on base.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 4:50 pm

Raptor wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Things have changed since WW1. It's 21 to buy booze on base.

I was just a baby 'Zilla during WW1,you can't expect my memory to be perfect.lol
Looked it up,when J got the beer it was in the early eighties and you could drink under 21 when enlisted.
http://usmilitary.about.com/od/justicel ... ingage.htm

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 5:13 pm

Misslizard wrote:
It was hillarious,we had all pooled our change and sent him to get the cheapest beer.It was the generic stuff, a white can with the words BEER on it.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 6:16 pm

/\Perfect timing,I was just watching House :D .I couldn't see the second one.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 6:53 pm

There was a second one?

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 7:13 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
There was a second one?

I thought there was,there was a blank grey square with a puzzle piece that said " this format not supported."
I'm on a tablet so maybe that had something to do with it.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 7:19 pm

Yeah, that's probably it. I just had to make the "beer brand beer" reference.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 8:22 pm

...AIT is ?

ote="kraftiekortie"]I know he went through Basic, then went to AIT. I'm not sure how long he was in the "full" army. I know he's in the Reserves now. He's close to 40.[/quote]

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 8:33 pm

Advanced Infantry Training.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 9:22 am

I was originally diagnoses with Aspergers while in the military largely because I couldn't handle the social skills necessary for being an NCO.

Anyone who thinks they don't need social instincts to be in the armed forces is kidding themselves.

Just sayin'.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 9:54 am

XFG, whether or not I needed social skills is a moot point - I served, was promoted, and earned an honorable discharge, all without knowing that I had AS. You are right, though. The higher enlisted grades do require more social skills. So, except for the social politics, the environment was perfect for me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 12:36 pm

Fnord wrote:
XFG, whether or not I needed social skills is a moot point - I served, was promoted, and earned an honorable discharge, all without knowing that I had AS. You are right, though. The higher enlisted grades do require more social skills. So, except for the social politics, the environment was perfect for me.

Additionally, you were Navy. I was Air Force.

The AF is the "touchy-feely" branch of the armed services. We were expected to be a lot more empathetic and social than our sister services. I've always figured the Navy was more hardcore on account of being much older.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 12:50 pm

XFilesGeek wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Additionally, you were Navy. I was Air Force. The AF is the "touchy-feely" branch of the armed services. We were expected to be a lot more empathetic and social than our sister services. I've always figured the Navy was more hardcore on account of being much older.
The Navy gets more political the higher in rank you go - advancement was still merit-based; but a lot of it also seemed in involve knowing whose brass to kiss and when to kiss it. There was one CPO who seemed to have it in for me because I'd made E6 in six years, and it had taken him twelve. He even told me that he would not sign off on my quals if it meant that I made Chief in less time than he had.

I imagine that the Army, Marines, and Coast Guard have similar issues.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2016, 3:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
The Navy gets more political the higher in rank you go - advancement was still merit-based; but a lot of it also seemed in involve knowing whose brass to kiss and when to kiss it. There was one CPO who seemed to have it in for me because I'd made E6 in six years, and it had taken him twelve. He even told me that he would not sign off on my quals if it meant that I made Chief in less time than he had.

I imagine that the Army, Marines, and Coast Guard have similar issues.

In my field you could get to PO2 just by being a good technician; I made it in 3 years. An E-6 needed to be able to socialize, though. If I'd stayed in, it's questionable whether I would have made it to PO1 before the time limit kicked me out.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand