Why is it bipolar can join military but aspies can't?

Page 4 of 6 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

luan78zao
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2016, 3:31 pm

Fnord wrote:
The Navy gets more political the higher in rank you go - advancement was still merit-based; but a lot of it also seemed in involve knowing whose brass to kiss and when to kiss it. There was one CPO who seemed to have it in for me because I'd made E6 in six years, and it had taken him twelve. He even told me that he would not sign off on my quals if it meant that I made Chief in less time than he had.

I imagine that the Army, Marines, and Coast Guard have similar issues.

In my field you could get to PO2 just by being a good technician; I made it in 3 years. An E-6 needed to be able to socialize, though. If I'd stayed in, it's questionable whether I would have made it to PO1 before the time limit kicked me out.

"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission – which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force." – Ayn Rand

Hopper
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 6:50 pm

Something that occurred to me - firefighter. There's order and bravery and risk and camaraderie, only you don't have to go and kill people you've never met just because a politician told you to. Would you be interested in that, and would Aspergers be a reason they'd turn you down?

You know sometimes, between the dames and the horses, I don't even know why I put my hat on.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 7:23 pm

I gotta give some respect to people who try their best to make it in the military, and still wash out through no fault of their own.

It's those people who never try, especially those who are able, and who then criticize the military at every turn that I have diminished respect for.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 8:06 pm

Fnord wrote:
I gotta give some respect to people who try their best to make it in the military, and still wash out through no fault of their own.

It's those people who never try, especially those who are able, and who then criticize the military at every turn that I have diminished respect for.

Makes me think of this thread where people who never served telling people what it's like to be in the military.

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=276099

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 2:15 am

Fnord wrote:

I tried, the had to watch all my friends go and serve. I don't have many friends because of this. Most people I meet are military or ex I military, they all talk about it. I'm so left out because I couldn't serve so have no stories or experience. The there's the ones who talk bad or look down on people who didn't. And ask why I didn't go serve. :(
I can't tell them why.

envirozentinel
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

07 Feb 2016, 3:53 am

No one should look down on you just because you didn't serve in the military. Lots of people have objections to serving in the armed forces in any event.

You wouldn't necessarily enjoy the experience. I was exempted from the conscription which our country had enforced at the time I left school, and so was a friend of mine. I don't think either of us would have managed well had we been required to go.

my blog:
https://sentinel63.wordpress.com/

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 4:21 am

I'm really critical of the whole hero-worship mindset I see associated with the military. But I'm definitely better off because of the investment other people made in me, and I really don't like the notion that a whole subsection of people who could really use the growing opportunity are barred from it.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 8:18 am

Fnord wrote:

^ This.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Mongoose1
Raven
Raven

27 Feb 2016, 2:19 pm

sly279 wrote:
My friend who's been arrested for viloent stuff, suffers from bipolar and they'll taking him. But all I have is aspergers and adhd and I can't join. Wtf

Wasn't it a bipolar guy who snapped and blew up his squad with a grenade few years back. And bipolar people will change and just disappear, so how is it they'd let them in out them in stressful situations where their reaction is unknown even to themselves but not aspies who only problem is lacking socialization.

I'm retired military - a major - and I have Aspergers. The change came during the first year of the Obama administration. Oh-blah-blah simply does not care for Aspergians.

Kyle Katarn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2016, 1:13 am

Why would you want to join the army, OP?

Military life is harsh. And if you go to war, you'll be cannon fodder.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2016, 6:01 pm

...So , you are saying that the barring of Aspergerians from the military (In general ? All five/six services ?) came in under people appointed by Obama ?
It was a policy put in by Obama choices for the military ?
Maybe so ~ I'd just like to hear the story . I really would be interested in hearing the story .

ote="Mongoose1"]

sly279 wrote:
My friend who's been arrested for viloent stuff, suffers from bipolar and they'll taking him. But all I have is aspergers and adhd and I can't join. Wtf

Wasn't it a bipolar guy who snapped and blew up his squad with a grenade few years back. And bipolar people will change and just disappear, so how is it they'd let them in out them in stressful situations where their reaction is unknown even to themselves but not aspies who only problem is lacking socialization.

I'm retired military - a major - and I have Aspergers. The change came during the first year of the Obama administration. Oh-blah-blah simply does not care for Aspergians.[/quote]

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 2:37 am

ASS-P wrote:
...So , you are saying that the barring of Aspergerians from the military (In general ? All five/six services ?) came in under people appointed by Obama ?
It was a policy put in by Obama choices for the military ?
Maybe so ~ I'd just like to hear the story . I really would be interested in hearing the story .

Mongoose1 wrote:
sly279 wrote:

I'm retired military - a major - and I have Aspergers. The change came during the first year of the Obama administration. Oh-blah-blah simply does not care for Aspergians.

That's not my experience at all, originally, I was upfront about my diagnosis to my Navy recruiter, and that got me DQ'ed. I went to a different region and didn't mention it to my Army recruiter, who further instructed me on what not the say. This was all in the 2002-2003 timeframe.

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 7:16 pm

Kyle Katarn wrote:
Why would you want to join the army, OP?

Military life is harsh. And if you go to war, you'll be cannon fodder.

How "harsh" and where did you gain this experience?

MDD123
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2016, 9:52 pm

I sense a brow-beating in the making.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 7:35 pm

...How long ago did you know him ? Bluntly , did he become homeless and join the military for , indeed , somewhere to live ?
Was it a " reserves " join-up - which I think means a a " short " , year , year-and-a-half or so , enlistment (well , except back when the Iraq war wwas on , then it was more) ? Was he non-homeless before he was and then he enlisted ?

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know he went through Basic, then went to AIT. I'm not sure how long he was in the "full" army. I know he's in the Reserves now. He's close to 40.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2016, 8:54 pm

He works with me---but I actually think he didn't have a permanent home at the time he joined the military. He just left his wife.

He's in the Reserves now. I think he might be deployed to Afghanistan soon.