Page 2 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2016, 9:02 am

League_Girl wrote:

I noticed in your UK culture, I was impressed how you guys handle aggression such as in UK prisons for example. Here in the states, we handle aggression with aggression. I don't have a clue how to fend for myself without getting violent and I even my aide told me violence is the answer if you have to fend for yourself. I heard as a kid that fighting doesn't solve anything but my teacher said "yes it does if you have to defend yourself." I believe she had been assaulted so she said that. But in the US prison, if you lay your hand on a guard, you are bound to be beaten.

Here we are taught to report aggression to the authorities - so to a teacher in school or to the police when we're adults. Ordinary people here are legally allowed to defend themselves too but even in defence you must use only reasonable force. If you use excessive force then you are open to prosecution and could go to prison yourself.

League_Girl wrote:
But I wonder how do the police there handle violence when someone chases them with a knife or with any kind of weapon? Here it's done with violence, a gun shot.

When someone does have a lethal weapon in the UK regular police here (without guns) will sometimes disarm the person - if that can be done without putting the officer in danger (they have pepper spray and a batton); sometimes they will use a police dog and sometimes a special police unit called an armed response unit is sent. These officers are armed with guns and/or tasers but are trained to contain, de-escalate and talk the suspect down when possible. They only shoot if there is immediate danger to themselves or someone else and they are required to shout a warning before they do too.

Also, because guns are rare in the UK ordinary citizens will take on criminals. A classic example is during a Jewellery shop robbery in Northampton. An old lady in a red coat saw the robbery in progress and started wacking the thieves with her handbag. Once she did that everyone just piled in to catch them. Here's the clip:

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 9:31 am

Suicide by cop. That's all there is to it.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 12:42 pm

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
When someone does have a lethal weapon in the UK regular police here (without guns) will sometimes disarm the person - if that can be done without putting the officer in danger (they have pepper spray and a batton); sometimes they will use a police dog
Something I haven't thought about, but something which might have some potential.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 1:10 pm

She lunged with knife, so they shot her, not their fault.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 1:32 pm

btbnnyr wrote:
They're suspended from duty pending the outcome of an investigation, anyway. Maybe the others should wait for the results to be release before forming their lynch mob.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 1:41 pm

Fnord wrote:
btbnnyr wrote:
They're suspended from duty pending the outcome of an investigation, anyway. Maybe the others should wait for the results to be release before forming their lynch mob.

I don't know why people are so quick to judge the police in this case.
It's not she was standing around doing nothing and the police shot her.
She was attacking them, so they defended themselves.
Police are not mental health professionals, and it is unrealistic to expect them to be so.
It would be hard for an experienced mental health professional to talk down this person, so police cannot be expected to do so when she is lunging at them with a knife.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 1:44 pm

How the UK cops handled someone with a weapon in their hand:

http://thedailybanter.com/2014/08/uk-po ... one-knife/

It includes a video in it so basically they are playing the game of tag and the man chases them around. That sounds fun. They also use a bunch of police officers like an army of them, not a few like we do.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:01 pm

Then the authorities need to send out more cops on suicide calls, after they've been trained in this method.

Unfortunately, they will never know if they're responding to a person armed only with a knife, or if the person is also carrying a concealed firearm ... or a suicide vest.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:15 pm

I believe in some areas they are training certain police officers specifically to handle those that are mentally ill. I can't remember where it is, but it's somewhere in the U.S.

A cop is trying to push to have police task forces to be especially trained in this manner to avoid having to kill those who are mentally ill. There are methods that can be used to avoid harm coming to either the police or the mentally ill person.

Just because a mentally ill person is having some sort of episode doesn't mean that they deserve to die. Everyone has problems, and everyone has bad moments in their life. Someone with serious mental illness may not even be aware of what he/she is doing. Even those who are suicidal can often be talked out if it and recover.

I don't want cops to be in danger, and I don't want people to be killed unnecessarily. If training can reduce fatalities of those that are mentally ill when they come into contact with police, and also not increase police police fatalities, then I believe it's the way to go.

I have a relative that's a cop. He's a nice guy. Not all cops are bad and like shooting people. Unfortunately, law enforcement has one of the highest percentages of sociopaths among all professions. The power attracts them, and I think they probably cause a lot of the problems that we are seeing.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:20 pm

Yigeren wrote:
... Just because a mentally ill person is having some sort of episode doesn't mean that they deserve to die. ... Someone with serious mental illness may not even be aware of what he/she is doing...
Just because a person is mentally ill does not excuse them from attacking someone else. If they're not aware of what they are doing, then they are a threat to society, and should be locked away. Otherwise, when they attack someone, they should be treated just like any other attacker - with deadly force, if necessary.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:38 pm

Intent is very important to me. So is a person's personality. A good person who is having a bad time doesn't deserve to be shot, unless absolutely necessary. The point is, I don't think it's necessary in many cases.

The cops have overreacted and killed people unnecessarily in many cases. Many of these alterations are on tape. If there is a way to stop a person without killing him or her, it should be used.

A cop's job is not to play God and decide who should live or die. Their job is to keep order and protect people. If they can keep order and protect people without killing them, then they should.

Tamir Rice was brought up somewhere. I saw the video. He looked like he had a gun, and was going to draw it. He was very large for his age, and had a realistic gun. I think it's sad that it happened, but I don't believe the police were at fault. Really, it's the parents in that case.

In other cases, it's clear the police overreacted and used excessive force.

Eric Garner, for instance. Yes, he was a petty criminal, but he wasn't posing a threat. He had no weapon, and they were trying to arrest him for nothing. They assumed he was selling cigarettes, without proof, and tried to arrest him. He didn't want to be handcuffed, so they threw him down, and ignored him when he said he couldn't breathe as they sat on him with a chokehold. Then he died.

Or in the case of the Indian grandfather visiting his family in an upper middle class neighborhood. Some neighbor called in a report of a suspicious "black guy" in the neighborhood. All he was doing was taking a walk. He couldn't speak English, couldn't comply because he didn't understand anything that was being said, then the cop threw him to the ground so hard that he couldn't walk and then he spent quite a while in the hospital. A small, thin, nonthreatening grandfather from India taking a walk down a street where he belonged.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Feb 2016, 2:41 pm

I very much agree with Jo_B1_Kenobi stating that the US police is very much ready to shoot, because the culture there is very much ready to shoot.

Just look at the campaign video of Ted Cruz, one of the presidential candidates and an alternative to Trump :lol: , cooking bacon in "Texas style" with a machine gun... :roll: Totally different culture for sure...

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:51 pm

His name was Kayden. He was a man.

Please respect his identity & allow him that one last bit of dignity?

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-asperger-shot-dead-police-article-1.2520902
http://jezebel.com/24-year-old-transgender-man-with-aspergers-killed-by-ar-1757403687

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 4:13 pm

Yigeren wrote:
Intent is very important to me. So is a person's personality. A good person who is having a bad time doesn't deserve to be shot ...
Good people do bad things, too. A good man killing an intruder to protect his family is just as "bad" as a good cop killing an attacker to protect himself.

Just because a man wears a badge does not make him any less "good" nor any more "bad" than a man protecting his family.

If anyone comes up with any valid evidence to the contrary, the only truth we know of the incident is from the official police report.

All this cop-bashing is pointless.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 4:18 pm

I'm not cop-bashing. I think there are some poorly trained cops out there that cause many problems. And the sociopaths probably cause a decent portion as well.

I also think even well-trained cops could use different training to handle these kinds of situations.

Most cops aren't bad. I've met good ones and bad ones.

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 4:23 pm

Unfortunately the cops are trained to shoot to kill. They never go for the arms or legs. Not to mention it's hard to simply disarm someone coming at you with a knife with your bare hands.

I don't think his intentions was to kill the cop, but how would the cops know that? I mean it sucks since some autistics get meltdowns which makes it hard to control their emotions or action. Iv'e seen this one autistic guy who had a meltdown and he got violent and s**t and he couldn't control it.

But yeah, never ever get violent with the cops if you enjoy your life. If you attack a cop with a gun or a knife, you're basically dead.