Page 1 of 5 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

QuiversWhiskers
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 11:02 am

http://m.nydailynews.com/news/national/ ... -1.2520902

This is incredibly disturbing. The police knew this woman and her issues. I know that in the heat of the moment it may have been instinctual to use their guns but couldn't they have gone in with tazers?

I feel so sorry for her. And I know the police involved probably feel wretched about it too. I would.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 11:21 am

From what I've heard from the cops around here....

Come at them with your fists, a pot, something that isn't really "lethal", you'll get tasered. Come at them with a "weapon", knife, crossbow, gun...you are going to get shot. And shoot to kill, not just in the leg, shoulder or arm.

If she was scuffling with the cops, or came running at them, the are allowed to shoot. If she was screaming in her doorway with the knife, the cops are supposed to de-escalate the situation.

It just sucks all around.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 11:39 am

Have a cop friend, and he HATES runs for suicidal people, belligerently mental
ill or ASD meltdown calls. Hates them. He doesn't know if they are hopped up on drugs, or is this a suicide by cop. He's not a mental health worker, and paramedics aren't either. And if someone is running around with a knife, the paramedics are not to get involved, until the person is under control.

And the woman that was killed was not a large person, but I have seen someone her size take out 4 security guards in the hospital ER. These men were bouncer size and ex marines.

Why did her family not have some backup plan? Who called? I'm guessing she did, or she called a hot line, and legally they have call the cops if she says I got a knife and this is it.

Her death falls in all our laps as a society. Arizona has an almost nonexistent mental health system. HORRIBLE. I have a bipolar friend and there are little to no service for people with no money.

By the time the cops show up to try an talk down a "crazy" person, there is plenty of fail to go around. Calling the cops in this type of situation is like doing brain surgery with a hammer.

Until society figures out how they truly want a psychiatric crisis handle for people that have no money for $200/hr shrinks, this s**t will continue to happen.

helloarchy
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Feb 2016, 12:01 pm

So many people die needlessly at the hands of USA police. This wouldn't have happened in England. Free healthcare and (mostly) unarmed police. There are a million ways to approach a situation like this. She was murdered by an incompetent police force.

Tasers
Rubber Bullets
Bean Bag guns
Nets or Net shooting gun
Riot shields
Stab proof clothing
Keep door closed talk via megaphone
Tear gas
Water cannon
etc etc

Even if she was hurt via one of these methods, or even stabbed herself and killed herself, at least its better than just shooting her. At least she would have a chance. No police officer is at risk of being killed if they are smart and dont put themselves in direct danger.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 12:06 pm

She was suicidal so she lungs at them with a knife. I think she planned it and I suspect people use cops for suicide because they don't have the balls to do it themselves. I can't imagine working as a officer so I deal with someone who is suicidal but yet poses a threat to me to provoke me to shoot them in self defense. I wonder how that is for the officer?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 12:08 pm

The newspaper stated that "...Officers involved in the shooting [...] were not wearing body cameras...."

There was a time when law-enforcement agencies (LEAs) refused to employ military veterans because the training that service members receive is focused on "stopping the threat" (shooting until the body no longer moves). But, with a U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit opinion in the 2000 matter of Jordan v. City of New London [Conn.] and Keith Harrigan, No. 99-9188 (2000), which affirmed a federal court determination that municipalities within the circuit may discriminate against the employment of law-enforcement officers (LEOs) with IQ scores higher than 104, we now have LEAs employing average-IQ LEOs with military training and experience. This is a recipe for some very hostile LEAs to run amok; and we are seeing such abuse. The unwillingness of LEAs to wear their body cameras while on duty is just one example of the corruption this situation engenders.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 12:15 pm

Most police officers are not trained to handle people with disabilities or mental illness. They will taze, shoot and/or kill them right on the spot even if they are not acting violent. It's wrong, stupid and disgusting. I guess the police really are the enemy and totally the opposite of all the kiddy shows I watched growing up saying they'll help you if you're lost or in trouble . :(

Also the media is going to chew this up like bubble gum and stick it on the face of NTs to make them think even more this is what all aspies are like. Miserable, suicidal, violent, and on and on. And just yesterday someone told me they have an 11-year-old son or nephew with Asperger's who is intelligent and adorable and I was pleased to hear something positive for a change.

rude1
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Feb 2016, 12:55 pm

Even worse than someone being murdered is someone being murdered and the killers are going to get away with it because of status. There has to be a way, somehow, to stop that and require that "officers" use tasers![as a non-fatal method to subdue if they are truly in danger which most of time isn't...] I don't care what you say, they knew they could have subdued her but they chose to shoot her because they are sick horrible individuals who enjoy killing people. I've had enough of this police privilege nonsense :x :x :x :x :x

When I complain about cop brutality people are so quick to say "Well not every cop....". I never said every cop was evil but the ones who are need to be stopped and held to the same standard of the law like everyone else! Not to go off topic but George Zimmerman is the same case-"self-defense"=/=overkill.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 3:05 pm

Quote:
A police spokesperson told the Arizona Republic, “She stated she had a knife and was going to try and hurt herself. When officers approached the area inside the house where she was, she came at both officers with the knife and they fired their duty weapons and the female was injured.” Jacobs later died of her injuries at a nearby hospital.

Heavy.com

If you lunge at police officers with a knife, they will shoot you. Autism or not. But it is sad. Police, in general, need more training and support in dealing with the mentally disabled.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 3:27 pm

androbot01 wrote:
Quote:
A police spokesperson told the Arizona Republic, “She stated she had a knife and was going to try and hurt herself. When officers approached the area inside the house where she was, she came at both officers with the knife and they fired their duty weapons and the female was injured.” Jacobs later died of her injuries at a nearby hospital.

Heavy.com

If you lunge at police officers with a knife, they will shoot you. Autism or not. But it is sad. Police, in general, need more training and support in dealing with the mentally disabled.

It's called suicide by cop.

andrethemoogle
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 6:40 pm

I can put another reason why I hate the police. Bunch of dumb idiots they are. They are utterly useless when it comes to ANY situation with a mental health issue.

And they have the gall to wonder why people dislike them so much.

Tawaki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2016, 11:54 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Most police officers are not trained to handle people with disabilities or mental illness. They will taze, shoot and/or kill them right on the spot even if they are not acting violent. It's wrong, stupid and disgusting. I guess the police really are the enemy and totally the opposite of all the kiddy shows I watched growing up saying they'll help you if you're lost or in trouble . :(

Also the media is going to chew this up like bubble gum and stick it on the face of NTs to make them think even more this is what all aspies are like. Miserable, suicidal, violent, and on and on. And just yesterday someone told me they have an 11-year-old son or nephew with Asperger's who is intelligent and adorable and I was pleased to hear something positive for a change.

I don't think NTs view this as evil Aspie die die die.

My friends think its horrible for someone who is in so much pain, and no one around can/will help them. Its horrible for the police, because no one gets a thrill from gunning someone down, but what is their choice? They aren't ninjas, and you can bleed out from a knife wound.

When I read this article, I think it's horrible we really don't have decent mental health services for everyone.

Yigeren
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:25 am

There have been numerous cases of mentally ill people in need of serious help being killed by police.

One particular instance I remember is when a mother called the police to help her get her son to calm down. He was an adult, and either was bipolar or schizophrenic. He'd stopped his medications and was acting belligerent and was agitated. I believe she wanted them to help get him to a hospital.

They show up, the son has a small screwdriver, and he steps or stumbles forward and they shoot him dead. He's lying in his mom's driveway bleeding to death.

I think it's a really bad idea to call the police to help mentally ill people. Most do not have the necessary training to bring the situation under control without unnecessary fatalities. They are trained to shoot to kill, not to negotiate with or calm down those that are suffering from mental illness and need help.

It's horribly tragic, and I've seen it or read it in the news far too many times.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 4:25 am

Yigeren wrote:
There have been numerous cases of mentally ill people in need of serious help being killed by police.

One particular instance I remember is when a mother called the police to help her get her son to calm down. He was an adult, and either was bipolar or schizophrenic. He'd stopped his medications and was acting belligerent and was agitated. I believe she wanted them to help get him to a hospital.

They show up, the son has a small screwdriver, and he steps or stumbles forward and they shoot him dead. He's lying in his mom's driveway bleeding to death.

I think it's a really bad idea to call the police to help mentally ill people. Most do not have the necessary training to bring the situation under control without unnecessary fatalities. They are trained to shoot to kill, not to negotiate with or calm down those that are suffering from mental illness and need help.

It's a really bad idea to call the police for help with anything. Most cops are veterans back from Iraq who are PTSDing big time. You would be better off calling your crazy armed uncle who just got out of the mental institution, and is off his meds.

The police are not your friend. If you think they are and call them for anything, you are endangering yourself, and everyone around you.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2016, 8:21 am

Looking at US policing from outside of the US (I live in the UK) it seems to me that US Police are very ready to shoot because they come from a society which is very ready to shoot.

2,996 people died in the horror of the Sept 11th attacks and the US went to war against terror to stop it happening again. In 2013 33,169 people were killed by firearms in the US (according to Wikipedia) but people who want to limit firearms in the States are shouted down. It makes no sense to me. I can't understand it. US people are committing the same number of killings as the Sept 11th atrocity 11 times over every year (based on 2013 data) on their own people. Why would the land of the free not do something about that?

In a society with much stronger gun control and much less gun-use police would then be free to learn different, non-lethal ways of dealing with things. This is what UK police do. But in a society where guns are everywhere, you could get shot at any minute for the most minor things. The police are bound to be more trigger happy in such circumstances.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 8:35 am

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
Looking at US policing from outside of the US (I live in the UK) it seems to me that US Police are very ready to shoot because they come from a society which is very ready to shoot.

2,996 people died in the horror of the Sept 11th attacks and the US went to war against terror to stop it happening again. In 2013 33,169 people were killed by firearms in the US (according to Wikipedia) but people who want to limit firearms in the States are shouted down. It makes no sense to me. I can't understand it. US people are committing the same number of killings as the Sept 11th atrocity 11 times over every year (based on 2013 data) on their own people. Why would the land of the free not do something about that?

In a society with much stronger gun control and much less gun-use police would then be free to learn different, non-lethal ways of dealing with things. This is what UK police do. But in a society where guns are everywhere, you could get shot at any minute for the most minor things. The police are bound to be more trigger happy in such circumstances.

I noticed in your UK culture, I was impressed how you guys handle aggression such as in UK prisons for example. Here in the states, we handle aggression with aggression. I don't have a clue how to fend for myself without getting violent and I even my aide told me violence is the answer if you have to fend for yourself. I heard as a kid that fighting doesn't solve anything but my teacher said "yes it does if you have to defend yourself." I believe she had been assaulted so she said that. But in the US prison, if you lay your hand on a guard, you are bound to be beaten.

But I wonder how do the police there handle violence when someone chases them with a knife or with any kind of weapon? Here it's done with violence, a gun shot.