Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Illmetbymoonlight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Feb 2016, 9:40 am

My name is Anna and I'm 34. I only started seriously considering that I might have Aspergers about three weeks ago so I'm still trying to figure out if the shoe fits, so to speak. My psychologist "doesn't like labels" and "doesn't want me to limit myself" so I don't know what I am and frankly it's driving me crazy. I've tried to join a few Aspergers groups in other places but they haven't been willing to take me, and I would really appreciate someone to talk to right about now.

Nightingale121
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 9:54 am

Welcome! :)

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 2:13 pm

Welcome Anna,

You have no need to worry about being rejected here. I only joined a little while ago myself, and for the most part have found that everyone is very friendly, and there so many people that are happy to answer any questions you might have, and share their experiences so that you can get a sense of whether "the shoe fits".

If the need to know where you fit is causing you anxiety, I would suggest to your psychologist that getting a diagnosis would be worthwhile. You don't say whether they have specific experience of patients with autistic conditions - but professionals without that experience often overlook that people on the spectrum may have different therapeutic needs than the majority of their patients. For this reason, I find the psychologists attitude confusing - how can one be treated without knowing what it is that requires treating? It is also a rather condescending attitude in my opinion - they should be working with you to help you with the things that you have identified for yourself as wanting help with.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 4:20 pm

Hey Anna welcome. :sunny:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

06 Feb 2016, 5:42 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 5:08 pm

Welcome to WP! Maybe you should look for a psychologist with more specific expertise in ASDs.