DEATH TO CAPTCHA (vote)

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Would you like WrongPlanet to get rid of its captcha feature?
Yes 79%  79%  [ 30 ]
No 21%  21%  [ 8 ]
Maybe (why? explain) 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 38

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 8:14 am

Your message contains too few characters.

Only typing that so it has enough, cuz that's what it told me...

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 10:07 am

Of course I would, but I'm not holding my breath. If you want a site more to your tastes, your best bet is to make it yourself.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 1:41 pm

Captcha is a necessary evil. Without it this site forum would literally implode with spam.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2016, 5:33 pm

Maybe if it actually worked, but spammers post anyway, while human users have to prove they're human countless times, and the text in their posts is erased anyway if they don't know the trick of going back and forth though their browsing history.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 5:01 am

Deltaville wrote:
Captcha is a necessary evil. Without it this site forum would literally implode with spam.

Do you seriously believe that? If that is true, then how come there are thousands of forums, that don't require CAPTCHA, and have less SPAM then WP?

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2016, 9:26 am

Dear God in Heaven I'm losing the will to live, forget post, with this captcha malarkey!

I've just lost (AGAIN) a reply to a thread that I wanted to revisit.

Think I'll keep my posts to a minimum/where no thought is required with this irritating captcha thingy - bad enough I'm away and didn't bring my laptop so am confined to my phone without constantly losing posts!

:|

Nine7752
Toucan
Toucan

18 Feb 2016, 9:59 am

I would rather have captcha than spam. Thousands of robots are poised to fill this forum with junk if we remove that annoying thing.

Message loss is easy to avoid, just clipboard-copy a post before you send it, or go back a page and the text is probably still there.

boofle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2016, 10:11 am

Nine7752 wrote:
I would rather have captcha than spam. Thousands of robots are poised to fill this forum with junk if we remove that annoying thing.

Message loss is easy to avoid, just clipboard-copy a post before you send it, or go back a page and the text is probably still there.

OK, cool. Will try that. Thanks for the help :) am on other sites but not come across this before so am finding it annoying.

I'm sure it will pass.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2016, 10:24 pm

What is it?? I do not understand :|

MissAlgernon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2016, 11:07 pm

0regonGuy wrote:
Deltaville wrote:

Do you seriously believe that? If that is true, then how come there are thousands of forums, that don't require CAPTCHA, and have less SPAM then WP?

PHPBB is quite vulnerable to spambots. All PHPBB forums I know have that problem, they're impossible to protect without a combination of anti-spam mods including CAPTCHA. It happens much less with all other platforms I've used as a forum admin.

superboyian
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2016, 9:28 am

I think it would just make sense for members to enter a captcha to begin with for the few couple of posts and then just ditch the idea of using it to prevent spambots.

ShesGone
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2016, 7:43 pm

Am I posting here due to OP's avatar? :heart: I know I'm shallow. :mrgreen: But who cares.

"Death to Captcha!!"

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 3:14 pm

boofle wrote:
Nine7752 wrote:

OK, cool. Will try that. Thanks for the help :) am on other sites but not come across this before so am finding it annoying.

I'm sure it will pass.

Yes copying to clipboard stops you losing your message, but you've still got the problem of how to post it, as Capcha may still remove your message, or otherwise stop you from posting it. In my experience there's always some kind of a workaround - I find splitting my post into 2 or 3 parts and posting them sequentially is usually effective - but it can be a long and tedious business, by Jove. :x

alex
Developer
Developer

01 Aug 2016, 1:18 pm

You should not be getting CAPTCHAs anymore. Let me know if you still get them.

Jono
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2016, 2:04 pm

alex wrote:
You should not be getting CAPTCHAs anymore. Let me know if you still get them.

Did you turn them off?

LjSpike
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

24 Dec 2016, 7:33 am

TBH I don't mind captcha's
What I do wish to see death to however, is those darn one which get you to select "the pictures with fruit in" or so forth.
Then you hit the internal debate - "Is a tomato a fruit or a vegetable. WHAT STANDARDS ARE THEY WORKING FROM! DEAR LORD, SAVE ME!"

Neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 162 of 200
Neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 52 of 200
LINK: http://www.rdos.net/eng/poly10a.php?p1= ... =66&p10=74
-------------------
Score breakdown for RAADS-R
Total: 185.0 | Language: 17.0 | Social Relatedness: 90.0 | Sensory/Motor 45.0 | Circumscribed Interests: 33.0
LINK: http://www.aspietests.org/raads/questions.php