Do you come across differently than you think you do?

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 12:31 am

People have an inconsistent perception about me. And so does when I see or hear myself.

When I thought I'm being an annoying child, they thought I'm an almighty iron lady. :lol: They end up seeing a steady pacing or that confident walk, hearing that monotonous voice that one thought that I'm all serious business. I'M NOT.

But sometimes when I thought I'm being an annoying child, I do sound and a look like one. Pitchy tone, skipping, odd speech and gait, sometimes that annoyed moody voice.

.. I don't know why...

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 7:36 am

When I have heard my voice played back it does not sound like my voice and it sounds sort of weird and embarissingly different to how I think it sounds when I said it.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 8:05 am

^ Yeah I've listened to myself recorded, talking, some years ago. Not fun. I must have sounded sound like a jerk or just plain 'snarky' for lack of better word..Of course I'm more mature now. ALso dialects. I speak pretty plain neutral English, but regional accents do creep in. Also my voice, when trying to sing, whatever the song was, it sounded like a fukked up David Bowie. LOL. Oh what i wouldn't give to sing or talk like Jim Morrison, (or look like him for that matter) that baritone Sinatra/Elvis like voice, that must be like the perfect voice to seduce a woman, right? I think so.

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 8:29 am

This is a topic that makes me crazy…. I end up feeling like ,I am always second guessing, myself .
Which made communicating even more difficult for me. I ended up almost stuttering trying to get my speech and mannerisms right . For the most part , I overcame some of this by being very direct in my speech . But that was taking away any of the sociability of the give and take of a smooth friendly conservation. Which I find myself trying to make my conversation more inclusive . Of others , unless I feel hostility from them. Then I might quit trying to be inclusive . Also noticed people like to feel good about themselves , even in smaller conversations . So, I try to include some soft compliment to them as part of my talking . It seems to make for smoother exchange of info.
And makes me feel less self conscious about how, I come off to others .

where ever you go ,there you are

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 10:11 am

Your voice sounds different to you, than on a tape recorder. That is the same for everyone. Not just you

My voice sounds weak, weird, and hard to listen to. But on a tape recorder it sounds worse

The speaker only has one definition

All other definitions are miscommunications

mohsart
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 12:10 pm

I don't think so.

Jokes aside, the title makes me giggle a bit.

But I've realized that I come across differently than what I intend, without understanding why.
My self image is/was a social butterfly who is extremely good at putting words on my thoughts, yet I have no friends and everybody's always misunderstanding me.

/Mats

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 4:24 pm

theprisoner wrote:
^ Yeah I've listened to myself recorded, talking, some years ago. Not fun. I must have sounded sound like a jerk or just plain 'snarky' for lack of better word..Of course I'm more mature now. ALso dialects. I speak pretty plain neutral English, but regional accents do creep in. Also my voice, when trying to sing, whatever the song was, it sounded like a fukked up David Bowie. LOL. Oh what i wouldn't give to sing or talk like Jim Morrison, (or look like him for that matter) that baritone Sinatra/Elvis like voice, that must be like the perfect voice to seduce a woman, right? I think so.

Strangely, a woman once told me on the phone that I had a sexy voice. That ran completely against everything I've ever thought about how I sound on a telephone. It still messes with my confidence if I hear an echo of my voice on a phone call. So I guess something inside didn't believe her. Indeed, she might not have been telling me the truth, but it did alert me to the idea that other people might not judge some aspects of me in the same way as I do. And my talking voice can't sound as bad to other people as it sounds to me, or I'd never have had a girlfriend.

Also strangely, if I deliberately talk with an accent such as Cockney, Irish, Scottish, Liverpudlian, Westcountry, British aristocrat, Rastafarian, or American deep-south, my voice seems to sound a lot better. Unfortunately I can't keep that going for long before I make a mess of it, otherwise I might have permanently adopted one of those accents. Maybe in the effort to talk with a particular accent I put more work into the intonation and project it better.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

28 Dec 2021, 4:43 pm

Used to be that historically , I would talk..too softy or even sound unsure of myself . Then I gradually learned to speak deliberately… and force more air across my vocal cords . Then as my speech cleared up . I was able to go back to speaking softly but distinctly . Still often if am too stressed my voice goes flat. Very monotone. Except unless, I am trying to greet someone initially . Before the stress had come . :oops:

Nemesis2k7
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

18 Jan 2022, 3:56 am

Yes, i am almost sure i come across differently than i think i do. Would explain my whole life to be honest. And why i am so lonely. I do not try and be rude, quite the opposite. Somehow though, i just do not come across "right" enough for people to want to hang around with me on a regular basis.

Emily S
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

18 Jan 2022, 11:33 am

I always thought I came across as nice, friendly and understanding. But apparently not. I used to know this girl at college and she came to me once and basically told me how her bf didn't really love her and he was dumping her. I thought I said all the right things and showed her I cared but she looked at me and said your a cold b***h. So since then I'm not sure if I come across the way I try to.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 4:12 pm

Emily S wrote:
I always thought I came across as nice, friendly and understanding. But apparently not. I used to know this girl at college and she came to me once and basically told me how her bf didn't really love her and he was dumping her. I thought I said all the right things and showed her I cared but she looked at me and said your a cold b***h. So since then I'm not sure if I come across the way I try to.

That was a pretty horrible thing to be said to you.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2022, 4:21 pm

Agrees with above post. ….. +1

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 1:12 am

Another member at my clubhouse once told me that I'm not really British.

There was a time that I reminded my sister of Sgt. Schultz as a child.

A mentally challenged boy at my elementary school asked me if I was German one time.

Emily S

19 Jan 2022, 4:50 am

rowan_nichol wrote:
Emily S wrote:

That was a pretty horrible thing to be said to you.

I know right pretty mean. I don't think I'll ever understand people.

theprisoner
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 5:00 am

I can't really say, I care that much, right now. *stares blankly into space*

AQ: 27 Diagnosis:High functioning (just on the cusp of normal.) IQ:131 (somewhat inflated result but ego-flattering) DNA:XY Location: UK. Eyes: Blue. Hair: Brown. Height:6'1 Celebrity I most resemble: Tom hardy. Favorite Band: The Doors. Personality: uhhm ....(what can i say...we asd people are strange)

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jan 2022, 7:22 am

In different situations, I've been told I come across as weird, rude, intense, intimidating, annoying, insensitive, too sensitive, arrogant...but I don't see myself as any of these things--except maybe weird.