Page 1 of 4 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ishi2
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 10:02 pm

Nah. It disproves the 6,000 year-old earth lie and most of Genesis' account of creation. He'd damn us all to hell.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 10:23 pm

I don't know, but if you're willing to synchretize I'm sure Thoth-Jesus would. :)

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

darkphantomx1
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2016, 10:30 pm

Some people believe that the universe was created by someone or something which we commonly refer to as a God or Gods. It will be interesting to see if when we meet other extraterrestrial life, if they will believe in deities as well?

Did you know that Albert Einstein believed the universe was created by someone or something because he felt like the universe couldn't have been so perfect and in perfect harmony. But he didn't believe in a personal God that answers your prayers nor did he believe in an afterlife.

It is also entirely possible that this is just a giant simulation ran by someone or something. For instance, Sims 3 but only a lot bigger and more complex. We are not aware we are in a simulation. In the future, it may also be possible that we can run our own simulations of a universe with inhabitants who are totally unaware of the true reason they're here.

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 10:49 am

For with much wisdom comes much sorrow;
the more knowledge, the more grief.

Ecclesiastes 1:18

Cash__
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 11:56 am

I like Emerson's take on it.

"The religion that is afraid of science dishonors God." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2016, 3:22 pm

Cash__ wrote:
I like Emerson's take on it.

"The religion that is afraid of science dishonors God." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

So...most of them.

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 1:10 am

I think it may be interesting to remember that the Church *invented* Science in order to better know the mind of God through studying Creation. Now, sometimes the things discovered were a bit...awkward, like that whole Rome-is-not-the-center-of-the-Universe thingy and later, germ theory & epilepsy as a medical model rather than demonic possession. But on the whole, the followers of Christ always eventually got on board and posthumously forgave the discoverers of such things.

Would Jesus himself approve of science? I don't think he'd approve or disapprove of it; he seemed wholly concerned with people giving up any riches they had to those who had less, giving food and health care for free to anyone who needed it, and basically spreading the message that his father wanted everyone to accept and love each other, even the worst of the worst.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Feb 2016, 6:58 am

I'm a Christian and a scientist. I see no problem between the two. If Jesus truly is "the way the truth and the life" then how can more truth as discovered and understood by science hurt?

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 9:36 am

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
I'm a Christian and a scientist. I see no problem between the two. If Jesus truly is "the way the truth and the life" then how can more truth as discovered and understood by science hurt?

Doesn't Jesus' credibility rest on doing scientifically impossible things, like miracles and rising from the dead?

Edenthiel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2016, 1:36 pm

AspE wrote:
Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:

Doesn't Jesus' credibility rest on doing scientifically impossible things, like miracles and rising from the dead?

All religions fall into that trap of the Gaps. Religion was originally how humans explained the unexplained. Over time, the realm of religion has shrunk as science provided more reliable answers for such things. In that regard, it now covers little more than "how did the universe begin" and "what happens to me when I die" - mostly because the answers science provides many find unsatisfying. However, religion also served the purpose of unifying a group against outsiders by providing a uniform, ideosyncratic moral structure. It does still serve that purpose.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2016, 6:00 am

AspE wrote:
Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:

I've never seen it that way at all. His credibility rests on giving up his life for others, on standing up for love even when it cost him everything. I see miracles as a way of saying 'he's special' but they're peripheral really. The main thing is that he loved and was prepared to stand up for love, even to the point of death. This is teh heart of the Christianity I know.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 6:18 am

I think so. I personally don't think he'd be thrilled with the religious right's literalistic interpretation of Genesis in regard to denying evolution, or insisting the earth is only in the thousands of years old, rather than the billions.

NewFuturamaSucks
Butterfly
Butterfly

15 Feb 2016, 7:32 am

god's not real and jesus is dead

Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2016, 7:42 am

jesus doesn't approve of science that contradicts something in the bible, so you know, we were created, the earth is flat and 4,500 years old, dinosaurs are fake. you get the gist

otherwise, feel free to create all the batteries you want :mrgreen:

ProbablyOverthinkingThisUsername
Raven
Raven

15 Feb 2016, 8:23 am

Edenthiel wrote:
Would Jesus himself approve of science? I don't think he'd approve or disapprove of it; he seemed wholly concerned with people giving up any riches they had to those who had less, giving food and health care for free to anyone who needed it, and basically spreading the message that his father wanted everyone to accept and love each other, even the worst of the worst.

While you're not wrong, I don't believe Jesus would be for government-mandated redistribution of wealth. The reason being, the act of voluntary giving is good for the soul; it teaches humility and mercy. If it shifts from "how can I help others" to "how am I required to help others" then it no longer helps the giver to become a better person, and the attitude of the receiver can quickly shift from thankfulness to entitlement. Just my 2c...

Anyway, on topic, I would think that any benevolent deity would applaud science if it is used to better the human condition. I doubt they'd even have issues with belief in evolution so long as they were not cut out of the picture entirely.

AR15000
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

15 Feb 2016, 12:17 pm

aspietronic wrote:
I'm a Christian and I love science. I use to science experiments at church. I took 8 9volt batteries and used them for electrolysis of water then lit up the bubbles of hydrogen in my hand. I wanted to let the church know that we can use cleaner energy resources. Does Jesus approve of my experiments?

Ya wanna know? Ya gotta just ask! :wink: